• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gil Kane Nasal Shot Appreciation Thread
2 2

53 posts in this topic

Inspired by this Redhook quote from another thread: "I think I'm getting an idea for the followup to the Corner Robin Shock montage. The Gil Kane UpNose Montage!"

Well, Gil Kane penned so many prominent proboscises that it is problematic to pick. Just about any GK Spiderman, Warlock or Kazar cover would do! Examples from the DC days may be harder to come by, as I recall this being mostly a Marvel phenomenon with Mr. Kane. In fact, this thread probably belongs in the Bronze category.

Just to get the ball rolling, here are 3 noteworthy nose-shots:

First up: plastic surgery gone bad?

ASM138.jpg

Second: a typical GK "up the nose" perspective, plus the suspicious "dark schmutz" shading on the underside:

DocS5.jpg

And third: Not the most outrageous schnozz, but you gotta love the dialog:

subby58.jpg

GK seems to have emphasized the odd angles that show off the underside of the schnozz during his tenure at Marvel, but there was the occasional preview of things to come from the DC days:

NEVERMIND! (It's not Kane)

GL53.jpg

Edited by namisgr

I almost posted that one, until I realized it was Infantino/Anderson artwork. The other guys on the staff at DC must have caught the bug.

thumbsup2.gif I had my own GL 53 post composed a couple of days ago ready to hit 'enter' until I saw the cover sig.

It is odd that Kane apparently picked up this mannerism after he left DC for Marvel at the close of the Silver Age. Maybe it had to do with the volume of covers he did for Marvel all of a sudden. Previously, at DC he normally did covers just as part of the completed package of interior art. Perhaps once he started routinely drawing covers divorced from the interior art, he started thinking in terms of big, poster-style art, and the close-up head-shot (noses and all) just became a shortcut for him? confused-smiley-013.gif

Or maybe DC editor Julie Schwartz just didn't care to look at the underside of all his characters' noses? grin.gif

Edited by Zonker

Thanks for catching my error, gents. You: thumbsup2.gif, Me: boo.gif

As to why this became common in Kanes' work only when he went to Marvel, I'm wondering if working on Spiderman had anything to do with it. Just as Kane brilliantly showcased (pun intended) GLs aerial acrobatics, so to might he have used odd perspectives to capture Spidey's angular abilities.

Thanks for catching my error, gents. You: thumbsup2.gif, Me: boo.gif

As to why this became common in Kanes' work only when he went to Marvel, I'm wondering if working on Spiderman had anything to do with it. Just as Kane brilliantly showcased (pun intended) GLs aerial acrobatics, so to might he have used odd perspectives to capture Spidey's angular abilities.

yeah, but his Warlock covers were rife with up-the-schnozz shots too.

I thought he got started showing bottoms of noses when he was drawing Atom.

Here are 2 covers in a row

1489_4_33.jpg

1489_4_34.jpg

but the interior art often showed Atom hurtling up from below to whack the bad guy in the chin (usually) or nose.

Jack