• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Now the Best Time or the Worst Time to Invest in Comics?
2 2

304 posts in this topic

The stock market has been absolutely insane for the last 2 years.  I guess you take away consumer protections, and its like the training wheels have been taken away:  business is just more profitable.

I'm in this hobby for the love of it, as is everyone here.   But I don't want to lose money, and it just seems crazy to sell stock to buy books.

So . . . is now the best time or the worst time to invest in comics?

38 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

How can it possibly be the best?  (shrug)

I used to be able to buy books for 50c to $10 that now cost hundreds. I know an argument can be made for stellar performing stocks being the equal or greater to comics even at the low, low prices in the 70's and 80's, but still - can we really expect that Jetta, Millie the Model, LB Cole, Matt Baker, pretty much any PCH and flamethrower covers to continue to appreciate at anything close to the current rates??

Collect what you like AND what you can afford and don't sweat the long-term prospects as much.  2c

which actually brings me to a different question:  Is LB Cole, Matt Baker, GGA and PCH hotter here on the boards than out there in the world?  (but I digress . . .)

and P.S.: Your point is well taken, but I hope there's someone out there still feels like comics are worth investing in, or we are all &&%&%$@# ed!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

56 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The stock market has been absolutely insane for the last 2 years.  I guess you take away consumer protections, and its like the training wheels have been taken away:  business is just more profitable.

I'm in this hobby for the love of it, as is everyone here.   But I don't want to lose money, and it just seems crazy to sell stock to buy books.

I don't see what the stock market, or any other market, has to do with collecting old comic books.  If you are into the market and liquidate in order to buy something that appears to have better price appreciation potential, well, "you pays your money and takes your chances", LOL.  Inflation is going to continue forever, but not for everything.  The price of Tulips in The Netherlands has never regained from what it was a few centuries back.

My take is simply that I'll continue to buy what I really want with my "disposable income", and the only time I normally sell is when I can upgrade something. O/W they'll stay in my collection and outlive me.  

54 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now you've done it with just those 5 simple words which I've highlighted above so that you shall never repeat them in the same post ever again.  (tsk)  

You are just asking for a smackdown :slapfight: from Gene who's probably already got his Gordon Gekko Wall Street financial analytical brain all in a dither from your nonsensical post here and just foaming at the mouth to formulate a long winded response :blahblah:  :blahblah: to put you back in your place here.  lol

13 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

which actually brings me to a different question:  Is LB Cole, Matt Baker, GGA and PCH hotter here on the boards than out there in the world?  (but I digress . . .)

LB Cole seems to be on fire at eBay; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ghostly-Weird-Stories-122-LB-Cole-Cover-CGC-4-0-/293414063137?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=z8%2B73K%2FGSEN%2FlcsukELOcpyvMBE%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Now you've done it with just those 5 simple words which I've highlighted above so that you shall never repeat them in the same post ever again.  (tsk)  

You are just asking for a smackdown :slapfight: from Gene who's probably already got his Gordon Gekko Wall Street financial analytical brain all in a dither from your nonsensical post here and just foaming at the mouth to formulate a long winded response :blahblah:  :blahblah: to put you back in your place here.  lol

Tell Gene to Bring It

22 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
23 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Tell Gene to Bring It

@delekkerste

Now the two of you are really asking for it by taunting him like this.  (tsk)  lol

Maybe we should bring Boston Corbett in on this since he just might have come close to making good on his copy of NM 98 by now after a whole decade plus. :taptaptap: :taptaptap:

It'll be fun to watch a good old fashion  :slapfight:  :slapfight: between the Wall Street financial whiz kid and the old university economics professor to see who can say the following:

Thus Endeth the Lesson!!!  lol lol

All your Cole,Wolverton,early Charlton and PCH will drop drastically(and Timely,the WORST) sometimes even somehow DRAINING value of everything else around you.I practice some dark arts and my musical tastes and fashion sense scare those value sucking demons away.Send me your stuff right away,mid high to lower grade is best,I read them-and everything just might be okay.

If you hurry now Now NOW!

6 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

All your Cole,Wolverton,early Charlton and PCH will drop drastically(and Timely,the WORST) sometimes even somehow DRAINING value of everything else around you.I practice some dark arts and my musical tastes and fashion sense scare those value sucking demons away.Send me your stuff right away,mid high to lower grade is best,I read them-and everything just might be okay.

I somehow feel strangely compelled to obey

image.gif.4b228e301d96de86f91711d1b2f36265.gif

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

14 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

You couldn't afford the customs duty!  ;)

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Now you have found the dealer-Sith -script, young Jedi 💫

Edited by Northwest