• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Now the Best Time or the Worst Time to Invest in Comics?
2 2

304 posts in this topic

On 1/20/2020 at 5:07 PM, rtsunlimited said:

Here's my 2c

I wonder how much of the appreciation in Key GA/SA/Bronze etc is due to white collar professionals and the "wealthy" seeking to diversify their portfolios. I think many investors are looking for alternative investments to increase returns. Stocks by MANY measures are now overvalued . .

'alternative investments' would be Gold of another kind.

I may need to :bump: this post in the near future.

chart.jpg

4 minutes ago, tabcom said:

chart.jpg

I'm trying hard, but my feeble brain isn't clicking here.  At the top, the graph indicates "1999-2000", but at the bottom, it has the dates of 2020 and 2021.  I don't understand

14 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I'm trying hard, but my feeble brain isn't clicking here.  At the top, the graph indicates "1999-2000", but at the bottom, it has the dates of 2020 and 2021.  I don't understand

I believe it is an overlay of the Nasdaq 1999-2000 over current time period chart to show the Run-Up Correlation and the "projected" downswing in the future.

45 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

Not true.  Many comics can be found digitally (especially from the Golden Age) and can be enjoyed in that way while cherishing a well preserved copy....

Perhaps, but try to find copyrighted content on the net, such as EC title's.  And while it certainly is possible to read a comic book story on your computer screen, it's just not the same experience as reading it on paper.  Personally, I have reader copies of some of my books that are in superior condition, so as not to depreciate them.

28 minutes ago, fifties said:

Perhaps, but try to find copyrighted content on the net, such as EC title's.  And while it certainly is possible to read a comic book story on your computer screen, it's just not the same experience as reading it on paper.  Personally, I have reader copies of some of my books that are in superior condition, so as not to depreciate them.

Yep; though what I'm saying is; reading the physical comic book will be less important to the future generation.  You may have some nostalgia in the matter which is why you prefer that.  

Reprints, collected volumes, digital versions etc. can be found for nearly all comic books in some form.  People will still cherish the preserved (slabbed) version; while enjoying the ability to enjoy the contents in different manners.  This will accelerate in my opinion and shouldn't necessarily correlate to people being less interested in slabs.

2 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

Yep; though what I'm saying is; reading the physical comic book will be less important to the future generation.  You may have some nostalgia in the matter which is why you prefer that.  

Reprints, collected volumes, digital versions etc. can be found for nearly all comic books in some form.  People will still cherish the preserved (slabbed) version; while enjoying the ability to enjoy the contents in different manners.  This will accelerate in my opinion and shouldn't necessarily correlate to people being less interested in slabs.

How would you know, or feel you can speculate that "reading the physical comic book will be less important to the future generation"? 

And yes, reprints are available as reproduction comics and in collected book volumes, but it's still not the same experience.  Slabs prevent one from reading the books interior, and always will.  I feel that in many ways their usage promotes the "investment" aspect of collectible comics while denying the enjoyment of actually using the books in the way they were produced for; reading the stories.

2 minutes ago, fifties said:

How would you know, or feel you can speculate that "reading the physical comic book will be less important to the future generation"? 

My "guess" is based off of the following:

• Cost of slabbed books especially GA will become more and more out of reach to various degrees.  Those that do own well preserved copies worrying about risking damaging them through reading them will prefer other means.
  • More accessible.  Think of the current generation; everything is at their reach.  Digital > Reprinted Material > Actual Books. (this doesn't mean it will be like that for everyone I'm just saying to support a larger audience it will most likely be like this)
  • Supply / Demand.  There will be more demand; the supply is finite forcing those to seek other means to enjoy.  

10 minutes ago, fifties said:

And yes, reprints are available as reproduction comics and in collected book volumes, but it's still not the same experience.  Slabs prevent one from reading the books interior, and always will.  I feel that in many ways their usage promotes the "investment" aspect of collectible comics while denying the enjoyment of actually using the books in the way they were produced for; reading the stories.

I think that’s only a little bit true. It isn’t the slab that’s preventing someone from reading a lot of slabbed books it’s their value and the threat of damage to them. Reading them is what’s reduced their grade over the years along with storage. When books worth hits thousands of dollars then reading them exits as an option for most. It’s like asking to take out a 20 million dollar car for a spin or touch with your greasy hands a painting by a master. Things fall into the collectible if not historic spot at some point. Not exclusive to comics either. My Beatles butcher block album is never going under the turntable needle. That’s what CDs or digital is for... :baiting:

I guess that it's all in one's mindset.  What good does that 20 million dollar car do ya, if you are afraid to drive it?  What good do some of my thousand dollar comics do me if I can't read them.  After all, that's what I bought them for. If I depreciate them in that endeavor, then that's the cost I pay for that enjoyment.  JMO.

14 minutes ago, fifties said:

I guess that it's all in one's mindset.  What good does that 20 million dollar car do ya, if you are afraid to drive it?  What good do some of my thousand dollar comics do me if I can't read them.  After all, that's what I bought them for. If I depreciate them in that endeavor, then that's the cost I pay for that enjoyment.  JMO.

Yep, I agree with some of that too but I’ve read most of my books at one time and rarely reread things so off they go into protection of some kind. The covers are often the best part on a lot (not all) books so slabbing stuff that has killer cover art works very well for me. I collect a number of other things too like toys. So just because I grew up playing with Hot Wheels or Megos doesn’t mean when I buy them today MIB I have an urge to play with them. As an adult I’m buying them for other reasons than my 9 year old self would have.  The amount of TPBs and digital though today is super impressive if anyone likes reading them again. I haven’t done it in a while but I have enough there or available to keep me busy reading for years. 

Edited by N e r V

I think now is a bad time to invest in the comics that most people are buying.  When many Marvel keys are up so much so fast, it seems extremely risky to buy them, IMO.  I’m noticing that some of them are actually down quite a bit from the peak prices last year already actually.  GPA for a 7.5 FF48, for example was up past $3000 for a few sales last year -  there was just one at $2200.  

However, there are always things that can be collected at reasonable prices because they are not currently “hot”.  Some of those become very good investments if interest picks up in them.  Of course, some of those things continue to languish and trend down forever as well.  You pay your money and take your chances.  🙂

2 hours ago, tabcom said:

chart.jpg

This first part of the chart would certainly line up with the old school of thinking for a rising market that you should buy in October and sell in March, then take 6 months off in a hot and sunny place to enjoy your gains before coming back to rinse and repeat again.  hm  (shrug)

25 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

This first part of the chart would certainly line up with the old school of thinking for a rising market that you should buy in October and sell in March, then take 6 months off in a hot and sunny place to enjoy your gains before coming back to rinse and repeat again.  hm  (shrug)

I guess I better have my sales thread now...before prices go lower in March...doh!  But, seriously, I don't even own any Nasdaq Comics...so I guess it doesn't matter.  (shrug)

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Yep, I agree with some of that too but I’ve read most of my books at one time and rarely reread things so off they go into protection of some kind. The covers are often the best part on a lot (not all) books so slabbing stuff that has killer cover art works very well for me.

To illustrate the difference in collecting motives; I read some of my books almost every evening, and although I may have a recollection of some part of the stories, they are mostly pretty fresh to 75 year old memory cells.  I have precious few books that I retain just for the cover art.

The only reason I personally would have for slabbing, is if I were to contemplate selling, and I just can't see doing that, other than upgrading.

8 hours ago, Shaun C89 said:

Social media, YouTube and other “investing” sites are exposing a lot of people to Golden age books, especially books like pre-code horror, and artists like LB Cole and Matt Baker. 

Absolutely.  There are a lot of people, mostly younger, who're buying up nice books and posting them on-line.  

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

4 hours ago, tabcom said:

chart.jpg

4 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

I believe it is an overlay of the Nasdaq 1999-2000 over current time period chart to show the Run-Up Correlation and the "projected" downswing in the future.

I say your best investment in any portfolio is a nice solid mattress. I’ve been adding to mine for years now...

B7735272-7D2D-4D51-8FFD-E50BC24A7390.jpeg.2d4b41006b3698301dba6bd6f9cd9ffa.jpeg

2 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I think now is a bad time to invest in the comics that most people are buying.  When many Marvel keys are up so much so fast, it seems extremely risky to buy them, IMO.  I’m noticing that some of them are actually down quite a bit from the peak prices last year already actually.  GPA for a 7.5 FF48, for example was up past $3000 for a few sales last year -  there was just one at $2200.  

However, there are always things that can be collected at reasonable prices because they are not currently “hot”.  Some of those become very good investments if interest picks up in them.  Of course, some of those things continue to languish and trend down forever as well.  You pay your money and take your chances.  🙂

Post 1963 books in general have always carried more risk due to much larger supply pools of them...

There can be no doubt that the sensory experience of holding an old comic in your hands, being able to take in the artwork in what ever shape it's in (PQ affects the color/appearance of each page, printing anomalies, etc.),being able to turn the pages to reveal the crazy splash page or a weird old ad- or flip back a few pages to check a story point or the consistency of a drawing detail, even the gentleness you must take in order not do damage the book- all this and more go into the experience of actually reading the book-  is far superior to staring at a computer screen.  

However, I once dropped my phone onto an 8.5 LB Cole crime book while I was holding it in my lap and trying to take a picture of the first splash page.  Knocked the cover clean off the staples.  Now it's the best 1.5 you've ever seen.  So I know the risks.  Lesson learned, only wish it was on a lesser book.  I'll still buy raw over slabbed any day, and continue to anticipate the day my book arrives and I can unbox it and savor every page!  

Wait- what was the question again?

19 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

There can be no doubt that the sensory experience of holding an old comic in your hands, being able to take in the artwork in what ever shape it's in (PQ affects the color/appearance of each page, printing anomalies, etc.),being able to turn the pages to reveal the crazy splash page or a weird old ad- or flip back a few pages to check a story point or the consistency of a drawing detail, even the gentleness you must take in order not do damage the book- all this and more go into the experience of actually reading the book-  is far superior to staring at a computer screen.  

However, I once dropped my phone onto an 8.5 LB Cole crime book while I was holding it in my lap and trying to take a picture of the first splash page.  Knocked the cover clean off the staples.  Now it's the best 1.5 you've ever seen.  So I know the risks.  Lesson learned, only wish it was on a lesser book.  I'll still buy raw over slabbed any day, and continue to anticipate the day my book arrives and I can unbox it and savor every page!  

Wait- what was the question again?

3EF58C21-E59A-4924-AA5C-86B348D6EAF3.gif.ac4f1bee48118dff7cec8087c82f569a.gif

05DE2244-41E7-4C6B-A449-C26513E41BCD.gif.bfe6a0f88e27500cb4ff2f6a8c160ae3.gif