• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Now the Best Time or the Worst Time to Invest in Comics?
2 2

304 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Actually, NerV, I have read every single comment closely and found them all helpful.  I realize people are passionate about their opinions either way, and some seem to have been dismayed by the very question itself.  I was sorry to see some people get a bit irritated with each other and have occasionally stepped in to try to drain out some of the pressure.

But yes, these comments absolutely did help solidify my thoughts.  I know my next comment will likely generate some "how full of sh&%$t is this guy?" questions, but I was seriously pondering a Tec 27.  After reading carefully what people have said(and yes, I do consider each one of you to be experts),  I've decided not to come out of the stock market to do it, and am just going to stand pat on the books I've already got.  A 5 year "hold" on them seems about right.  I love them and want them, but my plan is to liquidate in 5 years, retire, and move to Rome.  For real.

Thank you everyone.  You are my friends.

Even you, woowoo.

For chrissake, why Rome?

theres no LCS.

no slabbing service.

just Pizza. And ruins ... 😳

2 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

For chrissake, why Rome?

theres no LCS.

no slabbing service.

just Pizza. And ruins ... 😳

There is at least one LCS there. Or there was the last time I was there. 

6 hours ago, Ryan. said:

There is at least one LCS there. Or there was the last time I was there. 

A few months ago in Capri I found a poster advertising a comic show that had taken place 30 days earlier.  It was the Superman picture that caught my eye.  So there IS some interest out there, at least down along the Amalfi coast.

8 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

A few months ago in Capri I found a poster advertising a comic show that had taken place 30 days earlier.  It was the Superman picture that caught my eye.  So there IS some interest out there, at least down along the Amalfi coast.

I can't imagine comics being a thing in Capri. Crazy...I was there about a year ago for work and the thought never crossed my mind...

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hey Mitch;

How about if we think outside the super-hero box and make a daring choice by going even before your 1938 starting point all the way back to 1933:

652B998E-59E3-4249-ADE0-E5CC34607486.jpeg

In fact, right back to the historical origins of the modern day comic book, especially since these early pioneer pre-hero books have been out of favor for decades now.  :luhv:

Or are they sadly long forgotten and dead and not a chance of ever being resurrected in today's super-hero and classic cover  focused marketplace?  :frown:

I think the material from the early times 1933-37 was good, but the great stuff happened as least comic book wise, not comic strip, from 1938 on....my opinion might be based up my favor, but comic books took it up to a level by participating and living in world war  2...the quality of the books in that period are astounding. There is going to be a big run coming....it probably coming from somewhere none of us can see.....its gonna happen. I think the rare nature of DC books especially the end runs of the superhero titles like Flash, Green Lantern....have real value, just like Cap 1...which a 7.0  HA is going to auction very soon and which I have been stating ever since I have been on the boards...and by the way...Cap 1 is still a Bargain....lotta room left to go.

Edited by Mmehdy

13 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Cap 1...which a 7.0  HA is going to auction very soon and which I have been stating ever since I have been on the boards...and by the way...Cap 1 is still a Bargain....lotta room left to go.

ComicLink will auction a 7.5 Universal in Feb

3 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Let's not mince words- anyone that's willing to pay 15K for a 9.8 IM#30 is a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

Any less so than the buyer willing to pay $4,150 for a CGC 9.8 graded copy of Eternals #13 a few months ago when it couldn't have been the only highest graded copy in the whole ENTIRE universe at the time?  hm

Especially when there are now 30 copies of this relatively common book in the exact same equivalent grade, with another 58 copies in CGC 9.6 graded condition now waiting to be lovingly hugged higher to another level.  :screwy:  :tonofbricks:

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
3 hours ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

Let's not mince words- anyone that's willing to pay 15K for a 9.8 IM#30 is a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

this

Now, now, you two.  (tsk)

I am 110% certain you two wouldn't feel the same way about this buyer if you were the consignor of this Iron Man 30 and hopping to be lucky enough to just get $700 or $800 out of the book.  You would be way too busy doing other things like  :banana:  :whee:  :luhv:     lol

Edited by lou_fine

56 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Now, now, you two.  (tsk)

I am 110% certain you two wouldn't feel the same way about this buyer if you were the consignor of this Iron Man 30 and hopping to be lucky enough to just get $700 or $800 out of the book.  You would be way too busy doing other things like  :banana:  :whee:  :luhv:     lol

And let's not forget, there were TWO people willing to pay (approximately) that much (underbidder). I seriously doubt someone shilling would have driven it up that high either...

Edited by Callaway29