• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magik

41 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

X men 160 is labeled as 1st adult Iliana Rasputin.

So she was not called Magik in that issue.

Its her 1st appearance as who she really is now as a character.

So if they changed here name to Demonika? What would be her 1st appearance??

Hmmmmm still 160

I'm assuming you have never read X-Men 160, there's a lot of misinformation about it. Illyana is pulled out of limbo at the end of the story as a 13 year old (not adult). The book is basically set up as the "book ends" to the "Magik" series. Once she returns from limbo she basically appears on the last page of X-Men 160 with no knowledge of any new powers or her sword. The Magik series then explains what happened in limbo, how she obtained her powers and the sword. A few years back X-Men 160 and New Mutants 14 were both argued to be her 1st appearance. If you have read the full storyline it is pretty obvious it is the Magik series. This has all been discussed previously on the boards (in depth).

For what it's worth, the Marvel Database and Marvel Wiki now list Magik #1 as her 1st appearance.

Edited by boomtown

5 minutes ago, boomtown said:

I'm assuming you have never read X-Men 160, there's a lot of misinformation about it. Illyana is pulled out of limbo at the end of the story as a 13 year old (not adult). The book is basically set up as the "book ends" to the "Magik" series. Once she returns from limbo she basically appears on the last page of X-Men 160 with no knowledge of any new powers or her sword. The Magik series then explains what happened in limbo, how she obtained her powers and the sword. A few years back X-Men 160 and New Mutants 14 were both argued to be her 1st appearance. If you have read the full storyline it is pretty obvious it is the Magik series. This has all been discussed previously on the boards (in depth).

For what it's worth, the Marvel Database and Marvel Wiki now list Magik #1 as her 1st appearance.

Wiki is irrelevant as well as erroneous spec sites that pump and dump books.

4 minutes ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Ummm incorrect yes I have read every comic I’ve ever owned.

Yes she was 13 and?

Its what CGC says that seems to matter at the end otherwise your post would not even exist.

Go read it again.

I'll wait.

9 hours ago, shiverbones said:

Such silly fighting, it’s gsx1, obviously 

Someone explain to me why I'm stupid, because I always thought it was GSX#1.  Saving his sister from a runaway tractor is his big origin moment, is it not?

394252465_Capture1.PNG.ffb14745e36a903a6db18c3556ff6be4.PNG126225640_Capture2.PNG.17c9ddd1c9eb87378ae6034c256e170e.PNG820217686_Capture3.PNG.fdf88ad0da10a10f6c4a50b39cfc547f.PNG

Edited by Turtle
typo

Giant Size X-Men #1 is Illyana's first appearance. UXM #160 she's pulled to Limbo and aged 7 years. Technically this could be Magik's first appearance but I'll still defer to Marvel's claim that it's Magik #1. I think New Mutants #14 is completely wrong and I think CGC got it wrong by designating that on graded copies of NM #14.

Edited to add: I also think the CGC claim of UXM #160 as being the first appearance of adult Illyana misleading because she was never an adult. The wording needs to be changed to teenage or something.

Edited by drewzer15
added info

3 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

i have never understood the need to designate one issue. Some characters aren’t like that, son of Satan for example. It’s a journey that involves several books, and that’s ok.

The slavish addiction to whatever CGC puts on the case is driven by Specu-bucksTM

She is not called Magik in the mini. Obviously it's referencing here, but she's not called it. Nor is she in NM #14.

CGC will not label Gotham City Sirens #1 as their first appearance because they say that is the name of the series, not the team. Same idea. (Even though they are later called GCS in the series and CGC said they don't care basically.)

46 minutes ago, drewzer15 said:

I care because I sell comics and if someone is going to pay $40 for the first appearance of Magik I want some standardization as to what a first appearance is.

Well if you are selling than you want to just go by what cgc labeled.

You can sell a different one and put it the description “this is the real 1st appearance ignore the label”

I mean that just won’t fly.

Its already labeled as to what is 1st adult  and what is 1st Magic.

All we can do is share our ideas to no avail at this point. 

On 1/20/2020 at 2:27 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

Who cares what name she is called.  She is who she is and that is established in X-Men 160.  I don't see people caring about what issue Kitty Pride is named Sprite or Shadowcat.  

There are plenty of issues where a person first appears and then they are later called by their superhero name and that is the one people want and commands more money.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

There are plenty of issues where a person first appears and then they are later called by their superhero name and that is the one people want and commands more money.

Well, you realize you now must provide a list of these alleged issues, right? :baiting: