• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The different comic book ages and what they brought.
2 2

84 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, kav said:

Golden Age:  great covers but boring stories.  Anything that sold was copied-jungle stories, crime stories, superhero stories.
Silver Age: The best storylines-entertainment value at it's high point.  Artists with individual recognizable styles.
Bronze Age: Relevance to social issues reared.  Industry started capitalizing on collector driven sales-many new #1 issues monthly.
Copper Age: Creativity exploded-many new publishers with many new ideas.  
Modern Age: Some great stuff but also a lot of cloning-artists that draw the same, writers that write the same.  Capitalization of both #1's and variants-anything to boost sales except focus on interesting stories-with exceptions.

very interesting thread topic(thumbsu

46 minutes ago, kav said:

Golden Age:  great covers but boring stories.  Anything that sold was copied-jungle stories, crime stories, superhero stories.
Silver Age: The best storylines-entertainment value at it's high point.  Artists with individual recognizable styles.
Bronze Age: Relevance to social issues reared.  Industry started capitalizing on collector driven sales-many new #1 issues monthly.
Copper Age: Creativity exploded-many new publishers with many new ideas.  
Modern Age: Some great stuff but also a lot of cloning-artists that draw the same, writers that write the same.  Capitalization of both #1's and variants-anything to boost sales except focus on interesting stories-with exceptions.

Bronze and Copper age

Marvel stole from DC

Modern age

Plagiarism reaches new heights

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Bronze and Copper age

Marvel stole from DC

Modern age

Plagiarism reaches new heights

Its incredible most of the current comic artists look exactly the same to me.  Look I know there are differences still, I dont wanna hear a bunch of GOTCHAS!, but overall they tend to all draw the same.  Can you imagine steranko, kirby and Kneel Atoms all drawing the SAME??
No, you cant.
And the dialogue seems to be largely copied from sitcoms.

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

Its incredible most of the current comic artists look exactly the same to me.  Look I know there are differences still I dont wanna hear a bunch of GOTCHA! but overall they tend to all draw the same.  Can you imagine steranko, kirby and Kneel Atoms all drawing the SAME??
No, you cant.

Not at all

Totally different styles

And now with Moderns people are starting to see the success of intergalactic warlords like Thanos and Darkseid and running around creating New Gods like Knull-Symbiote God

And Barbatos-Bat God

And the Symbiote thing, don't get me started on that, look at all the symbiotes now after the success of venom

Arguably Venom is the last great antihero/villain created

And Deadpool but Deadpool is just a copy of Deathstroke (that can also be said for Thanos too)

You could really break out the '50s and back the whole social relevance intro up to that era with the issues of morality in many EC stories, the social issues played out in pre-code crime, the themes explored (albeit subtly) in romance titles...

The Bronze Age was more a creative explosion than copper, with the resurgence of genre themes (romance, horror) that waned since the 50s and the addition of new ones like sword and sorcery. 

I'm in the minority here but I view all but the earliest copper as Modern -- a lot of the mess that bloomed in the early to mid 90's was taking shape in the 80's. A lot of Marvel's output was wincingly bad -- the ruination of Hank Pym, Iron Man with the severed spinal cord (because the bad heart and alcoholism weren't enough, and this was original doh!); the Beyonder with his mullet and disco pants...