• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who here tried to collect runs of titles? (Completists)
4 4

85 posts in this topic

I’ve made attempts at completing runs - Incredible Hulk 200-300 in high grade, Aquaman - the movie hype speculation thing always trips me up and completing becomes either unaffordable or just not worth it for the money. 

Right now I’m probably about a dozen or less issues from finishing a high-grade Micronauts run, hopefully I can finish that before things get too nuts. 

I’ve been thinking of scaling back my collection, thinning out books from runs I know I’d never complete and maybe just focus a title that I like that there’s little danger of becoming “hawt”, like Star Trek. 

I am a completionist for 8.0-9.0 bronze and silver age titles.   Not all CGC.  I don't even really think about the runs I have completed because they seem so short, like Captain Marvel 1-33, Marvel Team Up 1-20, Iron Man 1-70, Captain America 100-172, Kamandi, Mister Miracle, Submariner 1-69, Silver Surfer 1-18

Some of the longer runs I have mostly filled, with the remaining number of issues left to be found:

Green Lantern 1-89 (2)

Daredevil 1-110 (6)

Hulk 102-175 (1)

Star Trek 1-20 (3)

I'm a huge Spidey fan and only need issues 1,2 of Amazing and AF 15 to complete all his core titles to date, then complete Tomb of Dracula Frankenstein monster and one short of Werewolf by night issue 32. Once I get these issues I can die happy as I'm a TOTAL completist it even keeps me up at night.:roflmao: 

3 minutes ago, Phicks said:

"Once I get these issues I can die happy...."

But it never ends for completionists!   As soon as I finish the runs that I posted above, then it is on to the next title!  I only need 12 more issues of Avengers!   Yeah, those 12 include the first nine issues which are hardly ever on the market in 8.0-9.0, and when they are for sale, some of them cost about the same as a car, but...I gotta finish that run!!

Then the first 40 issues of Fantastic Four....

Then the first 200 issues of Detective....

Sounds Daunting fo! sho! but I admire the effort so Far! :headbang: 

Huge fan of runs (and full mini's) Probably because I like reading full story lines - so I don't think I'm really a completionist.

I am working on the entire Uncanny Run  - Short about 40 issues between 1 - 125 (Including 1-4) and maybe 75-80 issues after 350, but those should be a pretty easy pick up. 

I am currently focusing to complete my Marvel Team-Up run - Need about 35 issues and an upgrade of my 2.0ish #1

For New Mutants Vol1 I need about 10 more filler issues and am chasing a really high grade copy of the Graphic Novel 

Also accidentally started collecting the What If...? Vol1 when I realized that I had 29 of the first 30 (guess which one I don't have...)

21 minutes ago, Gravin said:

Huge fan of runs (and full mini's) Probably because I like reading full story lines - so I don't think I'm really a completionist.

I am working on the entire Uncanny Run  - Short about 40 issues between 1 - 125 (Including 1-4) and maybe 75-80 issues after 350, but those should be a pretty easy pick up. 

I am currently focusing to complete my Marvel Team-Up run - Need about 35 issues and an upgrade of my 2.0ish #1

For New Mutants Vol1 I need about 10 more filler issues and am chasing a really high grade copy of the Graphic Novel 

Also accidentally started collecting the What If...? Vol1 when I realized that I had 29 of the first 30 (guess which one I don't have...)

Thordis? Issue number 10.

Unfortunately the movie craze is driving up the odd issue and is making it harder to complete runs, in fact there have been a few dollar bin drek that are now selling for a fortune only because it is now a show off possession. Damn those Youtube videos.:devil::bigsmile:  

2 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Complete runs of... (As complete as they are going to get)

ASM 2 - 200 Annuals 1-5 

Avengers 2 - 130 Annuals 1 -3

Daredevil 1 - 132

Fantastic Four 2 - 200 Annuals 1 - 8

Incredible Hulk 2 - 6, 102 - 200 Annuals 1, 2

Journey Into Mystery/Thor 34 - 265 Annual 1 (83 is a GRR)

ROM Spaceknight 1 - 75 Annuals 1 - 4

Sad Sack Comics 1 - 124 (All 10 cent covers)

Silver Surfer (Vol 1) 1 - 18

Strange Tales 43 - 134 Annuals 1, 2

Tales Of Suspense 1 - 99

Tales To Astonish 1 - 101

Two Gun Kid 1 - 60 (10 cent covers, except 60, New Origin by Kirby)

X-Men 2 - 66, 94 - 150 (did not collect the reprints in issues 67 - 93) 

I feel your pain so close yet so far! However it is clear to see that you ARE a comic collector and long time reader, well done.:golfclap:

13 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I feel your pain so close yet so far! However it is clear to see that you ARE a comic collector and long time reader, well done.:golfclap:

Thank You!!!

I will never own the grails such as AF 15/ASM 1/Avengers 1/F.F 1/IH 1/JIM 83/X-Men 1, those runs are completed with Marvel Milestone Editions and Marvel Tales 137/138 for ASM. 

Books such as ASM 14, Avengers 4, IH 181, ST 110, TOS 52, etc were all obtained in the 80's early 90's, if I had to start collecting today I could never complete runs, prices are out of reach for the average collector.

The other books I need to complete runs of JIM/ST Pre-Hero and the Westerns, Kid Colt Outlaw (need 4 books to complete 1 - 101, all 10 cent covers) and Rawhide Kid (need 2 books to complete 1 - 25, all 10 cent covers) have just gotten out of hand price wise.

Edited by marvelmaniac

29 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

Complete runs of... (As complete as they are going to get)

ASM 2 - 200 Annuals 1-5 

Avengers 2 - 130 Annuals 1 -3

Daredevil 1 - 132

Fantastic Four 2 - 200 Annuals 1 - 8

Incredible Hulk 2 - 6, 102 - 200 Annuals 1, 2

Journey Into Mystery/Thor 34 - 265 Annual 1 (83 is a GRR)

ROM Spaceknight 1 - 75 Annuals 1 - 4

Sad Sack Comics 1 - 124 (All 10 cent covers)

Silver Surfer (Vol 1) 1 - 18

Strange Tales 43 - 134 Annuals 1, 2

Tales Of Suspense 1 - 99

Tales To Astonish 1 - 101

Two Gun Kid 1 - 60 (10 cent covers, except 60, New Origin by Kirby)

X-Men 2 - 66, 94 - 150 (did not collect the reprints in issues 67 - 93) 

We overlap around 95% ! Not counting some titles I do collect that you don't and some of yours that I don't. I don't have ROM, Sad Sack, Two Gun Kid and the three 60s marvel "Tales of" runs that I once had (superhero only) but had to sell while between jobs along with my DD (and lots of other but I've since replaced).  I do have OTOH a bunch of bronze runs like Fear, Amaz Adv vol2, WBN, TOD, Frankenstein, Conan to 100, etc.   Congrats on putting together such a great collection.  Of course the RULER is Bronze Age fan (I forget his exact name) with a complete list of ALL of them (even the Millies etc.).

But like you I have long runs of ASM, FF and JIM/Thor, Hulk, Avengers, X-Men (missing 1,3,32), have the GRR version of JIM 83, am missing Spidey and FF 1 (but I've checked off the Hulk and Avengers 1).  It took lots of time and money and fun and I'm right there with you in spirit.

Kudos on those three "Tales" runs including all that pre-code horror. That's awesome.  That aside, I'd guess there are still a lot of lucky people like us with all/most of same 10 marvel runs through some x or other (my ASM was 441, but I keep upping the top number).