• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who here tried to collect runs of titles? (Completists)
4 4

85 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2020 at 7:39 PM, nepatkm said:

I’m guilty, I’ve only completed 1 title That spans over 25 issues...Tomb of Dracula 1-75 with the 5 Annuals (Giant-Size, if you prefer.)

THANK YOU for not using the fake word "completionists"... :D

I mostly collect individual issues from pre-code horror, pre-code sci-fi, pre-1940 DC, and random WW2 era superhero publishers. It's just expensive to put together runs of any of these, unless I legitimately like every one. Completing even a short pre-code run in decent shape might cost me $1,000-$10,000 just for the issues I don't really want, but "need" for completeness. I'd rather take that money and buy something else. I do want to get a run of Voodoo though, and will likely try to complete all of the EC horror stuff at some point. 

I do have reader runs I've been putting together since I was a kid/young adult. Buying stuff out of the dollar box, ignoring condition, and reading a stack of raw stuff without a care is a nice break. 

Punisher
Punisher WJ
Punisher WZ
Groo (maybe 5 issues left)
Goon
Conan (Dark Horse Nord run)
Tick (Edlund)
Tales too Terrible to Tell

I have enjoyed putting a run or two over the years as well. I started at some point of time in wanting to put together all of the GGA Fox books (I love Jack Kamen and Matt Baker artwork). I finally completed the run(s) by finding a decent copy of the hard to get All Top 16 (the rarest of the run in my opinion...and yes I had a celebratory shot of tequila after I had it in my hands). You might think it was easy to put together these short runs...but not really. 

Phantom Lady 13 - 23 (I guess a true completionist would go for the Ajax issues, but though rare, the art is a bit off for me). 

Blue Beetle 47 - 57 (the 47 is really hard to find in a decent grade) Those Jack Kamen covers  (the early ones) and then the Kamen interiors are incredible!

Jo Jo Comics 7 - 25 

All Top 8 - 18 

Zoot 7 - 16

Rulah 17 - 27 

Dagar (Desert Fox) 14 - 23

All Great 13 (first appearance of Dagar)

Zago 1 - 4

Tegra 1 

Zegra 2 - 5

Seven Seas 1 - 6 (okay...not a Fox book, but great books. A lot of the focus on these is issues 4 - 6 (rightfully so) which have the Baker covers...but # 1 and # 3 which are more common have incredible Baker interiors including great Alani splash pages by Baker.

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg