• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying a comic with signed cover

11 posts in this topic

So I have been looking at a few Power Girl comics on eBay and I noticed there are a few listed with signatures on the front cover, e.g. Adam Hughes, Amanda Conner, etc. I am assuming if I sent this in it would be slabbed as a Qualified Series since the signature wasn't witnessed by a CGC person. So is it even worth it to have it slabbed or would the value not increase that much? My other question is I have seen Qualified Comics slabbed with a note at the top saying "Signed by so and so on 4/1/2017". How would CGC know the date it was signed if there is only a signature? I have seen others where it simply states "Signatures on cover". If I sent in a comic with signatures on the cover would it say specifically who signed them on the slab?

How well do Qualified slabs sell for compared to their signed raw and Sig Series counterparts?

Edited by jou13

I come across lots of signed comics. The supply exceeds the demand in most cases. 

As far as grading goes, I believe you can ask for blue labels on these but the signatures will be treated as a defect. Having a green label probably turns off 90% of the hobby so deep discounts generally are in order.

7 hours ago, jou13 said:

So I have been looking at a few Power Girl comics on eBay and I noticed there are a few listed with signatures on the front cover, e.g. Adam Hughes, Amanda Conner, etc. I am assuming if I sent this in it would be slabbed as a Qualified Series since the signature wasn't witnessed by a CGC person. So is it even worth it to have it slabbed or would the value not increase that much? My other question is I have seen Qualified Comics slabbed with a note at the top saying "Signed by so and so on 4/1/2017". How would CGC know the date it was signed if there is only a signature? I have seen others where it simply states "Signatures on cover". If I sent in a comic with signatures on the cover would it say specifically who signed them on the slab?

How well do Qualified slabs sell for compared to their signed raw and Sig Series counterparts?

Yes, they would receive a Q label, unless otherwise requested. A blue label would ask the graders to treat the 'signatures' as a defect.

It depends on why you are slabbing. To re-sell? Probably not worth it. For self-collection preservation? It depends on your personal financial situation.

CGC may know the date if there was a COA. Or it could be a SS/Q hybrid label (where 1 sig was witnessed and the other wasn't). Also, CGC notates legible not-witnessed signatures. If they can't discern who wrote their name on the cover, then they can't notate it.

The final question simply panders to supply and demand. Qualified labels are typically not as in-demand as others.

11 minutes ago, XXpiggyXX said:

I'd need to see a picture of the label, as I doubt they use COA information.

I told you in the other thread, this is not how it works. If the cover sig is CGC verified, then the signature inside is irrelevant to label color. The same book without the authenticated cover sig would NOT great a Green label.

You can "tell" people misinformation as much as you'd like.

An unverified "signature" on the cover is a Qualified label.

1 minute ago, XXpiggyXX said:

I am cross-thread posting so these people might not know your opinions on the Lee/Kirby book that started this.

But yeah, obviously any unwitnessed sigs on the cover disqualify it from a blue label. I'm way past that.

Try to stay on-topic. Posting drek isn't helping.

1 minute ago, XXpiggyXX said:

I am cross-thread posting so these people might not know your opinions on the Lee/Kirby book that started this.

But yeah, obviously any unwitnessed sigs on the cover disqualify it from a blue label. I'm way past that.

That's just wrong. An witnessed signature does not disqualify a book from a blue label. It dqs a yellow label.