• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Definitive Your TOP 5 Characters You Just Don't Love Like Some People Do
3 3

119 posts in this topic

To counter a recent topic....your top 5 characters that lots of people love but you just cannot get behind for whatever reason.

1. Superman. Too powerful, could never relate to him. I respect him and what his existence is to comics but that is it. 

2. Green Lantern. See above.

3. Aquaman. There are some classic covers I like but beyond that, I haven't found a point where readability is good enough for me.

4. X-Men. I like X-Men. They are fine. But I don't desire X-Men like some people. Teams in general are just meh for me. Outside of the Defenders and maybe Inhumans and FF, most teams I just don't love like most

5. Venom. Again, I like Venom. I prefer his early stories but when everything becomes Venom related, it loses its lustre. What makes most Spidey villains great is the fact that they come and go in chunks. Green Goblin, Hobgoblin, Kraven, Doc Ock, Mysterio. With Venom, he came and never really left and at some point it is all a bit much sometimes. 

• Venom. :sick: Dude's existence, as a symbiote, is predicated on being a rip-off. Originality is key.
  • Deadpool. Always 'liked'. Never 'loved'. I think he's hysterically overrated. Cringe-worthy a lot of times.
  • Phoenix. As a historically big X-Men fan, I just don't get the hype. So many better villains and stories.
  • Green Arrow. Never understood his popularity and inclusion in the JL.
  • Any female copy/rip-off ever. Original female characters are always better.

For the record, prior to the New 52, I don't think anyone "loved" Aquaman. lol

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You proved me wrong. lol

Well, Aquaman is what I would call an environment-specific character. If the environment doesn’t appeal to you, the character probably won’t either. 

I’ve always been interested in the ocean and marine life since I was a kid so that makes me more inclined to like the book. And I think the Cardy artwork is some of DC’s best from the period  

I also think that if your going to undertake reading Aquaman you have to embrace the lighthearted fantasy of 60’s DC. If your wanting a strong through narrative like Spider-Man or  Fantastic Four then yeah, you’re going to be disappointed 

To be fair, I started loosing interest in the character when Peter David took over as it was, IMO, trying too hard to be like Namor. 

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
  • Venom. :sick: Dude's existence, as a symbiote, is predicated on being a rip-off. Originality is key.
  • Deadpool. Always 'liked'. Never 'loved'. I think he's hysterically overrated. Cringe-worthy a lot of times.
  • Phoenix. As a historically big X-Men fan, I just don't get the hype. So many better villains and stories.
  • Green Arrow. Never understood his popularity and inclusion in the JL.
  • Any female copy/rip-off ever. Original female characters are always better.

For the record, prior to the New 52, I don't think anyone "loved" Aquaman. lol

I don't mind Ms. Marvel as a rip off and Spider-Woman. They were unique enough and enjoyable enough for this guy. 

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

I don't mind Ms. Marvel as a rip off and Spider-Woman. They were unique enough and enjoyable enough for this guy. 

I don't like either of them. She-Hulk might be the most-palatable duplicate that I can think of. Batgirl is okay, I guess. Supergirl is also 'okay', I guess. I really despise the lack of creativity for most of them, though.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

Well, Aquaman is what I would call an environment-specific character. If the environment doesn’t appeal to you, the character probably won’t either. 

I’ve always been interested in the ocean and marine life since I was a kid so that makes me more inclined to like the book. And I think the Cardy artwork is some of DC’s best from the period  

I also think that if your going to undertake reading Aquaman you have to embrace the lighthearted fantasy of 60’s DC. If your wanting a strong through narrative like Spider-Man or  Fantastic Four then yeah, you’re going to be disappointed 

To be fair, I started loosing interest in the character when Peter David took over as it was, IMO, trying too hard to be like Namor. 

I like underwater environments. I have a lot of war related books with Frogmen and love shipwrecks and the like. That is what I mean about liking a lot of Aquaman art from back in the day. Now what they did with him as a character and threat in that environment was always laughable and hard to get behind. So maybe it was because there was too much underwater fighting and story and not enough surface level interaction? Visually too, I find him boring and unexciting to look at.

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't like either of them. She-Hulk might be the most-palatable duplicate that I can think of. Batgirl is okay, I guess. Supergirl is also 'okay', I guess. I really despise the lack of creativity for most of them, though.

Mar-Vell I view as an entity. Kind of like what Captain Universe is but that premise was already done so I get why he has never really lasted. Spider-Woman is just zany fun created as a way to protect the "Spider" genre. 

2 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

...not sure why Deadpool made a few lists   :insane:

He is not on mine because outside of a handful of issues, I have not really read enough to determine if I like him or hate him. I enjoyed the films, and enjoyed the few stories I have read. Not enough to really want to go head over heels and also not enough to not get why he is loved. I guess though if given the choice, I would sell his first appearance in favour of someone else's so maybe is on my list just lower down. 

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Mar-Vell I view as an entity. Kind of like what Captain Universe is but that premise was already done so I get why he has never really lasted. Spider-Woman is just zany fun created as a way to protect the "Spider" genre. 

I'm not sure if I've ever read anything with Spider-Woman.

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

He is not on mine because outside of a handful of issues, I have not really read enough to determine if I like him or hate him. I enjoyed the films, and enjoyed the few stories I have read. Not enough to really want to go head over heels and also not enough to not get why he is loved. I guess though if given the choice, I would sell his first appearance in favour of someone else's so maybe is on my list just lower down. 

He's an acquired taste...I completely understand why a lot don't like him, especially after the hoards of new "longtime fans" after the 1st movie

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not sure if I've ever read anything with Spider-Woman.

Gotta read the series that came about in the late 70's, early 80's. Its quirky, bizarre, and gets filtered through a variety of hands. I view it as just pure fun, with a host of interesting and fun comics that capture the essense of the Bronze Age despite shifting into the Copper Age of comics. I wouldnt call it riveting or gripping but if you enjoy comics on occassion that are just superhero fun with villains to battle every couple issues, I recommend. 

4 minutes ago, Deadpoolica said:

He's an acquired taste...I completely understand why a lot don't like him, especially after the hoards of new "longtime fans" after the 1st movie

I just think that he's a combination of overused and overrated. His cult following is annoying, at best.

When people tell me that "Deadpool is the best comic book movie"... I know exactly what kinda person that is.

If he wasn't so overused he probably would not make my list.