• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Definitive Your TOP 5 Characters You Just Don't Love Like Some People Do
3 3

119 posts in this topic

1.) Thor - Now don't get me wrong, the one in actual Norse mythology is quite epic, but comic book Thor was always a bit of a bore and in the movies he felt quite useless and hokey as a laughing stock(pre Ragnarok).

2.) Deadpool - the costume is unique and all but the first movie was kind majorly cringe and although 2 was better it wasn't by much. 1997 and 2003 series were pretty meh as well

3.) Batman - this isn't to say he's a terrible character, I think his runs even in the limited series' were quite great, just his character never seemed all that dynamic to me. Long story short he just seems overhyped.

4.) Captain America - with the exception of some of his Red Skull stories it really just felt like he should have stayed in the 1940s. Another case of just terrible and bland writing that I just couldn't care for.

5.) Aquaman - Can't say what's not already been said :blahblah:

Edited by Skylath

I never really cared for heroes with ridiculous levels of power. That's not just Superman, but The Flash as well, who can run so fast he can go back in time. I could make a bit of an exception for The Hulk, as he had the whole Jekyll and Hyde meets Frankenstein's monster pathos going on, and The Spectre in the bronze age because he do things like turn criminals into wood and run them through a buzz saw. I don't have much love for post 1974 superheroes either, as they came after my fanboy childhood, so I've read very little of them, and there is no nostalgia factor. So I'm going to leave out anyone who has appeared in the last 45 years, even if I think they are overexposed, as I can't really gauge how interesting they actually are, but of the old school:

1. Superman - from the 1950s onward they guy was basically God. It seemed like writers had to conveniently ignore some element of his extreme powers to create a story, while simultaneously abusing the rest of them, "I'll just blow out this star with my super breath". They only thing enjoyable about Supes are the ridiculous SA stories where he's engaging in Superdickery. 

2. Green Lantern - all powerful magic ring with one weakness to allow actual plots to his stories, which would be a page long otherwise. 

3. The Flash - can break the time barrier but is thwarted by third rate criminals who he could just travel back and smother at birth. 

4. Iron Man - even as a twelve year old Marvel fanatic I couldn't finish an Iron Man comic, it was like they were deliberately the most boring superhero stories written.  A couple of entertaining movies can't eliminate that bias. 

5. Galactus - Sure, he had awesome headgear, but another way too powerful character that the FF always had to find some dubious way of tricking into not devouring earth. I like me some Lee/Kirby over the top pseudo-science as much as the next guy, but could have done without this character. 

Special mention- Aquaman - but does anyone actually love this character. There's a reason it took him nearly 20 years to get a cover spot on any comic. 

21 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I just think that he's a combination of overused and overrated. His cult following is annoying, at best.

When people tell me that "Deadpool is the best comic book movie"... I know exactly what kinda person that is.

If he wasn't so overused he probably would not make my list.

It might be one of the most faithful to the source so it gets high marks for that. All the other Marvel characters get mess on in the movies yet somehow Deadpool escapes that. (shrug)

Harley Quinn- I don't mind her in comics but I hate her onscreen and her following of stupid people who don't understand that her relationship with the joker isn't supposed to be something that's idolized or a goal.

Sentry- Just not a fan.

Captain Marvel- Opposite of Harley. I liked her onscreen, although she was a bit annoying in Endgame, but hate her in comics.

Green Goblin- especially when he took over shield just because he killed the Skrull queen. Marvel lost me at that point.

Damian Wayne- He has his moments but he's so whiny most of the time.

On 1/20/2020 at 10:12 AM, romanheart said:

Umm..

One comes to mind. Deadpool.

I have to get back to you on the other 4.

2. Kingpin. I like a lot of the storylines he was in but I never considered him a top villain.

3. Wolverine. I like the character but I don't understand the hysteria about him.

4. Venom. I liked the early stories but the he became to omnipotent and didn't make very much sense as a hero.

5. Any other green lantern other than Hal Jordan and the original. Being one of thousands doesn't really make you unique.

Namor - incredibly arrogant and narcissistic.  Just annoying.

Wolverine - good character, lots of good stories, but I've never found him anywhere near as exciting as many do.

Harley Quinn - same indifference with me, as for Wolverine.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - never had any interest in them

Lobo - humorous at first, but very one-note and sophomoric.

Edited by Ken Aldred