• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Definitive Your TOP 5 Characters You Just Don't Love Like Some People Do
3 3

119 posts in this topic

1. General Grievous. Where does all of the love for this guy come from? He just stole some lightsabers and waves em around like a fool. Also, he's shorter than I expected.

2. Count Dooku. This guy is a real jerk. He needs to get ahead in life.

3. Master Yoda. I don't mean to disrespect, but he is really judgemental.

4. Obi-Wan. Don't get me wrong, I like master Obi-Wan, but he really undermines me sometimes. He also always has "the high ground" over me, whatever that means

5. Batman, I guess

2 hours ago, Anakin Skywalker said:

He just stole some lightsabers and waves em around like a fool.

Looks menacing, intimidates with four lightsabers, gets killed a bit too easily.

5 hours ago, Hamlet said:

I’m just going to mention the one that I haven’t seen anyone else list-

Warlock

I didn’t read this stuff when I was a kid, and I think you need nostalgia to really like the stories about him.  He is in some books with great art though.

A fair point.  I read the original comics as a kid in the 70s, I'm a big Starlin fan, and I really like the character.  But, it's basically a decades-long continuous narrative by the same creator, apart from, most notably, the Annihilation Saga, and not something you can appreciate just by jumping in with Starlin's more recent Infinity graphic novels either, where the character evolved way beyond what he was back in the Bronze Age.

Nostalgia and patience, I guess. :smile:

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/24/2020 at 3:43 PM, Anakin Skywalker said:

1. General Grievous. Where does all of the love for this guy come from? He just stole some lightsabers and waves em around like a fool. Also, he's shorter than I expected.

2. Count Dooku. This guy is a real jerk. He needs to get ahead in life.

3. Master Yoda. I don't mean to disrespect, but he is really judgemental.

4. Obi-Wan. Don't get me wrong, I like master Obi-Wan, but he really undermines me sometimes. He also always has "the high ground" over me, whatever that means

5. Batman, I guess

Holy :censored:, this guy really is Anakin...

1. Superman - Aside from the Moore stories and Morrison's All Star, I can't think of any Superman stories I've ever enjoyed. Just a dull character, which is odd, considering that it all comes from him, more or less.

2. Gambit - The X-Men were everything to me as a kid. Gambit's appearance signaled the turning point for me. By the time Bishop showed up, I was done. (Until AoA got me back on board.)

3. Venom - Ugh. Venom is suck.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

By the time Bishop showed up, I was done.

Understandable. That was the end of the very consistent Chris Claremont era.

Never rated Gambit very highly either.

Edited by Ken Aldred

9 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Understandable. That was the end of the very consistent Chris Claremont era.

Never rated Gambit very highly either.

Yeah. I don't really BLAME Gambit, it just seemed like he showed up around the same time that the overall quality was dipping, from a story perspective. Of course, Jim Lee was about to hit big and the book would never be more popular, but as big as those books were, I just wasn't connecting with them anymore from a story/character stand point. I dutifully bought all of the covers of X-Men 1 (and still buy them whenever I find them for 50 cents or less, an exercise in nostalgia to be certain) but I think I stopped buying that book after the second issue as well.

Hopped back on for AoA, then hopped off again shortly thereafter.

Hopped back on for Claremont's second run, which was, ugh, unfortunate. Then hopped back off...then on again for Morrison.

54 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Yeah. I don't really BLAME Gambit, it just seemed like he showed up around the same time that the overall quality was dipping, from a story perspective. Of course, Jim Lee was about to hit big and the book would never be more popular, but as big as those books were, I just wasn't connecting with them anymore from a story/character stand point. I dutifully bought all of the covers of X-Men 1 (and still buy them whenever I find them for 50 cents or less, an exercise in nostalgia to be certain) but I think I stopped buying that book after the second issue as well.

Hopped back on for AoA, then hopped off again shortly thereafter.

Hopped back on for Claremont's second run, which was, ugh, unfortunate. Then hopped back off...then on again for Morrison.

I continued with some of the Lobdell and Nicieza stories, but the quality declined quickly, I lost interest quickly, and I didn’t follow the X-titles much throughout the 90s.

As a huge Claremont fan I was very disappointed when he returned in the late 90s; a descent from being the writer of some of my favourite comics to being pretty much unreadable.

Edited by Ken Aldred

27 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I continued with some of the Lobdell and Nicieza stories, but the quality declined quickly, I lost interest quickly, and I didn’t follow the X-titles much throughout the 90s.

As a huge Claremont fan I was very disappointed when he returned in the late 90s; a descent from being the writer of some of my favourite comics to being pretty much unreadable.

Yes, totally agreed, that descent was swift and steep! Aside from his usual verbal tics, you wouldn't have thought it was the same writer. The worst crime: it was deathly dull.