• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tarzan vs. Tarzan

9 posts in this topic

The Tarzan family of books is pretty unique in that it was published by DC, Marvel and Gold Key in the Bronze Age. 

I didn't care for Joe Kubert so I never read the DC version and barely remember browsing a few Marvel and not being impressed.

Was one version better than the others? Is there an EBB story that both Marvel and DC did that would serve as fodder for a compare and contrast situation?

Any classic story that will hook me?

It's strange that DC didn't start over with 1st issues, instead of sticking with the old numbering so 207 is the first DC, whereas Marvel starts with #1.

Seems strange that at a time Conan was king and Sword and Sorcery was big, that Tarzan wasn't a bit.

27 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I didn't care for Joe Kubert so I never read the DC version.

Was one version better than the others? Is there an EBB story that both Marvel and DC did that would serve as fodder for a compare and contrast situation?

I read a lot of REH Conan comics so by the time Marvel's Tarzan came out with John Buscema art, I already got my fill of Buscema jungle /sword and sorcery action from :cool: Conan and Savage Sword mags. I read a lot more exciting adventure tales in ERB Marvel's John Carter, Warlord of Mars drawn by Kane/Cockrum(?) and Nebres, :blahblah: as memory serves.

I'm a big Kubert fan, so I really enjoyed his DC run on Tarzan. Never read the Marvel version, although it's on my list to get around to eventually.

Anyway, Shad, are you familiar with Back Issue magazine? Your post reminded me that they did a comparisson of both Marvel and DC's Tarzan work, and wrote up an article about it in their very first issue.  I dug it out of my magazine box and skimmed it real quick. (The article is by Tom Stewart.)

Takeaway Number One: Buscema was not thrilled to be working on Tarzan, unhappy to be measured up against Kubert, Manning, etc.

Takeway Number Two: The ERB estate gave Roy Thomas a lot more grief than they did Joe Kubert.

Takeaway Number Three: quoting from the author (edited for brevity with <snips>)

"What's the difference between the two approaches? <snip> Both Kuber and Roy Thomas believed that the key to Tarzan was to go back to what Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote, and stick close to that. Joe followed as close as he could. His art gave the stories grace and power, just as it did his Tarzan. Marvel's Tarzan was a bit text heavy (like Roy feared) and seems a bit cramped at times, not as clean as Kubert's. Marvel was at a disadvantage, following so close to Joe's run.  Roy chose the best way to deal with this: keeping up the momentum established by DC, getting the best of their artists on art, and putting his energy into putting out a good book. John's art is very good, but lacks the passion that Joe brought to the book. I think if Marvel, rather than DC, had picked up the license after Gold Key, their Tarzan would be better remembered today. <snip> All in all a good effort from Marvel, but this time, Dc had the advantage."

Hope this helps!

The early issues of DC's Tarzan run by Kubert are aces: more than the DC war comics (on which he was very, very good indeed), Tarzan was the title that Joe Kubert was born to draw...

https://aeindex.org/reviews/joe-kuberts-tarzan-of-the-apes-artists-edition/

Edited by jools&jim

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

The early issues of DC's Tarzan run by Kubert are aces: more than the DC war comics (on which he was very, very good indeed), Tarzan was the title that Joe Kubert was born to draw...

https://aeindex.org/reviews/joe-kuberts-tarzan-of-the-apes-artists-edition/

I have to concur. Buscema was a good match to draw Tarzan, in parallel with his Conan work, but I much prefer Kubert’s interpretation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 1/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, shadroch said:

It's strange that DC didn't start over with 1st issues, instead of sticking with the old numbering so 207 is the first DC, whereas Marvel starts with #1.

Seems strange that at a time Conan was king and Sword and Sorcery was big, that Tarzan wasn't a bit.

Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the ERB estate wanted the numbering kept the same .Possibly to keep their customer base loyal to the title.

That was a long time ago and I didn't follow Tarzan comics that closely.More into the novels and I was a Marvel Zombie.