• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my Showcase #43

23 posts in this topic

Hmmmm...of all the books I've seen, I've never seen such a nice book with an error like this one has. Something like that makes it very tough to grade.I'd say maybe a 6.5-7.0. I can't wait to see what some of the other guys think. popcorn.gif

This is really a tough one. 893whatthe.gif I would say 5.5. It looks really great, but that's a bad crease on the upper corner. Others might be more generous. confused-smiley-013.gif What did the seller grade it at?

The Sotheby's sticker and the sellers grade were the same. I will reveal it after others have had a chance to submit a grade. smile.gif

This is really a tough one. 893whatthe.gif I would say 5.5. It looks really great, but that's a bad crease on the upper corner. Others might be more generous. confused-smiley-013.gif What did the seller grade it at?

The Sotheby's sticker and the sellers grade were the same. I will reveal it after others have had a chance to submit a grade. smile.gif

PM me, I am curious. shy.gif

If that crease were any more 'color-breaking' the corner would be missing.

893whatthe.gifpoke2.gif

Cool book, Norinn - I agree with the others that this is a tough one.

I'm leaning towards 5.0, but the gloss & PQ indicate a 'freshness' that may be worth another .5.

I was thinking 6.0 before I looked at any of the other guesses. Pretty serious crease. Don't think I'd pay for a 6.0 though. I'd haggle to get it between 4.0 and 5.0 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What is the Overstreet 2005 price for VG?

I was thinking 6.0 before I looked at any of the other guesses. Pretty serious crease. Don't think I'd pay for a 6.0 though. I'd haggle to get it between 4.0 and 5.0 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

NR - You don't own a guide? 893whatthe.gif

My first book posted here. smile.gif

Recent purchase. Came in a Sotheby's mylar sleeve. Cover is very glossy (except URC crease) and pages are very fresh OWW.

Always wanted one and now I have one! yay.gif

899878-Showcase43a.JPG

899879-Showcase43b.JPG

NR,

I don't mean to burst your bubble - it's a great looking book and I'd probably grade it higher than most of our colleagues, but . . .

The edges are way TOO sharp sumo.gif

gossip.gifMy guess is that it's been cleaned and pressed to death, and trimmed on all three edges. I don't know how or why they just didn't complete the job and fill in that crease to bring it up to a apparent 9.0, but my guess is they couldn't press it out and decided to stop there. gossip.gif

Hey, but what do I know??? confused-smiley-013.gif But, I am very curious . . .

Again, it's a lovely book - and presents much higher than its technical grade thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

If I'm completely out of left field on this one, then I imagine you got a great deal! flowerred.gif

NR - You don't own a guide? 893whatthe.gif

I have a 2004. I only buy a OSPG every other year. smirk.gif

Regarding your second post............ Christo_pull_hair.gifmakepoint.gif893naughty-thumb.gifforeheadslap.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Man, that cover is so sharp and bright................really lovely.

but as everyone has said, between the small LRC crease, the water spot and that URC crease (somebody said it already, but it's so creased, it looks like it's about to fall off - scariest lookin crease i have ever seen) i'd think it's in the 5.5 - 6.0 range. if you bought it as a VG, you did great!!!!!!!

insofar as David's wild speculation regarding trimming and cleaning.........ya got me.......... laugh.gif

but as everyone has said, between the small LRC crease, the water spot and that URC crease (somebody said it already, but it's so creased, it looks like it's about to fall off - scariest lookin crease i have ever seen) i'd think it's in the 5.5 - 6.0 range. if you bought it as a VG, you did great!!!!!!!

Thanks, Harry. flowerred.gif

As for price, I paid a little over 2004 OSPG 4.0 price. Can anyone tell me what the 2005 prices are?

Thanks, Harry. flowerred.gif

As for price, I paid a little over 2004 OSPG 4.0 price. Can anyone tell me what the 2005 prices are?

2.0 - 41

4.0 - 82

6.0 - 123

8.0 - 318

NR,

I don't mean to burst your bubble - it's a great looking book and I'd probably grade it higher than most of our colleagues, but . . .

The edges are way TOO sharp sumo.gif

gossip.gifMy guess is that it's been cleaned and pressed to death, and trimmed on all three edges. I don't know how or why they just didn't complete the job and fill in that crease to bring it up to a apparent 9.0, but my guess is they couldn't press it out and decided to stop there. gossip.gif

Hey, but what do I know??? confused-smiley-013.gif But, I am very curious . . .

Again, it's a lovely book - and presents much higher than its technical grade thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

If I'm completely out of left field on this one, then I imagine you got a great deal! flowerred.gif

Looking at the top edge, I'm beginning to wonder if it was trimmed. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmad.gif

I'll post a larger scan of the top tonight.

If it is trimmed, and if I want to keep it, what do you think the appropriate % refund should be? 50%? 70%? confused-smiley-013.gif