• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Older CGC slab labels & Buying/Selling CGC comics on Ebay

8 posts in this topic

Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I have a few related questions. 

1. Are there *authentic*, older (pre-2017?) CGC slabs with removable labels across the top? I was pretty surprised when I noticed this feature on one of my new CGC'ed comics. First, I want to know if there is even a possibility that it's legit. p.s. -- I see another post on the topic from Friday. 

2. Is it or is it not possible to create a slabbed comic book that is illegit -- meaning that either the comic or one or more of the labels was switched out? Question 2b: are there any *documented* cases of illegal slabs being bought/sold?

3. Do CGC experts recommend Ebay to buy and sell slabbed comics? As soon as I noticed the slab (more than one actually) with removable labels across the top, I had two *big* concerns: (1) maybe I've been duped; (2) maybe I've inadvertently resold a CGC'ed comic that wasn't legit. I've taken down listings for the 5 or so slabbed comics that I had listed, and my cautious position at this time is to avoid buying or selling slabs on Ebay. I also contacted the 4 people that I sold CGC slabs to  to let them know that I'm looking into this question and will do a return & refund if they turn out not to be legit.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these questions.

The label on the top you are talking about is the one on the edge of the slab right? I believe there was another post about that earlier like you mentioned. Why is this label across the top suddenly a point of concern? I mean look at all the CGC books out there from that time they ALL have the label. Its not a security measure its just a nice addition so that you can stack the slabs and still see what book is in it.

There are plenty of security measures that make it hard to fake a slab. Is it possible, sure anything is possible. Is it probable, not likely. Also who looks at only the edge label there is the main label that has to match.

If you are really concerned about the authenticity of your books you should contact CGC directly and send the books in to be evaluated.

First, let me say this: WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! 

Now I'll try to address your concerns. You are correct in assuming that the older slabs have a removable label across the top edge. With the newer slabs, the label is completely contained within the slab. 

There is always the possibility of some nefarious individual trying to sneak a different comic book into a different slab, but there are a couple of things to look for if you suspect this has occurred:  1) Thoroughly check all 4 corners of the slab for any signs of cracking or scuff marks that could have been made in an attempt to open it. Look for anything suspicious, including signs of it having been glued back together. Also check the sides of the slab where it's sealed together; on the older slabs, it's normal for there to be a slight gap on either side of the slab. In most cases, it's pretty difficult to open a slab without cracking some part of it, but on the older cases they weren't always completely sealed together. 2) Check to see if the grade on the label matches what you see on the book itself; in most of the cases I've seen, a lower quality book had been substituted in place of an original, higher grade copy. If you're really not sure, you can also get the grading notes to see if they match the book that's currently in the holder.  3) Check that top label for any signs that it's been removed and then put back on. It will usually show some sign of having been peeled off; the edges of the label may exhibit slight signs of wear, and glue may have been used to seal it back down. 4) If the slabbed book passes all these tests, it's very unlikely that any tampering has taken place. If you're still in doubt, you can always call CGC for help.  (thumbsu

6 hours ago, gwenspider said:

O.k. then. Last time I post to this forum. 

I hope you continue to use this forum.

I certainly don't have any problem with the way you've conducted yourself, and I enjoy helping folks that may not be as experienced in these matters. It's always better to be safe than sorry...  :foryou: 

On 1/20/2020 at 8:30 PM, gwenspider said:

Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I have a few related questions. 

1. Are there *authentic*, older (pre-2017?) CGC slabs with removable labels across the top? I was pretty surprised when I noticed this feature on one of my new CGC'ed comics. First, I want to know if there is even a possibility that it's legit. p.s. -- I see another post on the topic from Friday. 

2. Is it or is it not possible to create a slabbed comic book that is illegit -- meaning that either the comic or one or more of the labels was switched out? Question 2b: are there any *documented* cases of illegal slabs being bought/sold?

3. Do CGC experts recommend Ebay to buy and sell slabbed comics? As soon as I noticed the slab (more than one actually) with removable labels across the top, I had two *big* concerns: (1) maybe I've been duped; (2) maybe I've inadvertently resold a CGC'ed comic that wasn't legit. I've taken down listings for the 5 or so slabbed comics that I had listed, and my cautious position at this time is to avoid buying or selling slabs on Ebay. I also contacted the 4 people that I sold CGC slabs to  to let them know that I'm looking into this question and will do a return & refund if they turn out not to be legit.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on these questions.

1. Yes. Older slabs have the top-edge sticker on the outside.
  2. Yes, but it's pretty easy to recognize if you've been scammed.
  3. Recommend eBay? Not necessarily. People have problems there all of the time. As a buyer, however, I have never had to return a CGC'd comic that I bought via eBay.