• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading and Ages

36 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

Grading has always perplexed me. I have read every single comic I have ever owned and I like the stories, especially the complexities in the Spawn Character. I really enjoyed the Dark Phoenix saga, but in this case I have to agree completely with @theCapraAegagrus I can't see them showing favor to particular eras of books, despite the evidence that might suggest otherwise, it would definitely hamper a grading companies integrity.

usually i am very passive and very friendly and easy to get along with.. but I don't understand how despite their being evidence you say "I can't see them showing favor".. I mean the point of evidence is to make a factual statement... :facepalm: i mean there is evidence how do you ignore it and say "I can't see them showing favor"?... ummm I dont get it.. its like writing a word on a piece of paper and recording it with a video, but saying I dont believe I wrote a word.. even though there is video and the piece of paper as evidence... O.o

ok sorry rant over.. rantrant... I am back to letting things be as they be... meh 

2 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

usually i am very passive and very friendly and easy to get along with.. but I don't understand how despite their being evidence you say "I can't see them showing favor".. I mean the point of evidence is to make a factual statement... :facepalm: i mean there is evidence how do you ignore it and say "I can't see them showing favor"?... ummm I dont get it.. its like writing a word on a piece of paper and recording it with a video, but saying I dont believe I wrote a word.. even though there is video and the piece of paper as evidence... O.o

ok sorry rant over.. rantrant... I am back to letting things be as they be... meh 

I think he's referencing anecdotal evidence that people may try to use to support their opinion.

Is there still a CGC "Golden Age bump"? There shouldn't be.

In grading, overall, there should be no biases. The entire reason for grading companies business is predicated on being third-party (unbiased).

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think he's referencing anecdotal evidence that people may try to use to support their opinion.

Is there still a CGC "Golden Age bump"? There shouldn't be.

In grading, overall, there should be no biases. The entire reason for grading companies business is predicated on being third-party (unbiased).

should is a different thing than what has happened, some evidence is anecdotal but there is a video of a former president talking about this... that's evidence of what has happened and could have been precedent for what currently happens.. but it did happen. So we have proof there was a bump on older books at one time. 

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

should is a different thing than what has happened, some evidence is anecdotal but there is a video of a former president talking about this... that's evidence of what has happened and could have been precedent for what currently happens.. but it did happen. So we have proof there was a bump on older books at one time. 

Former. Like, long time ago former. CGC is also not the only group of graders out there. Faaaaaaaaaar from it.

Being as objective as you can is the best grading practice.

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

Former. Like, long time ago former. CGC is also not the only group of graders out there. Faaaaaaaaaar from it.

Being as objective as you can is the best grading practice.

there certainly are other graders out there but voldy I think goes by this rule as well I see some of their stuff and have graded a few by them.. sshh don't tell CGC I cheated on them lol but i think the other two has this bias more than CGC does from my personal experience where voldy is softer on SA and CGC is much harsher.. anyways I just had the rant about ignoring evidence and still going with what you believe instead of listen to evidence and evaluating a better judgement or changing a belief with the correct evidence presented. That was my point... I think I read to many political posts comments and SMH to much at how dumb some people can be and got heated for once lol it lasted all of 1 hour lol 

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

there certainly are other graders out there but voldy I think goes by this rule as well I see some of their stuff and have graded a few by them.. sshh don't tell CGC I cheated on them lol but i think the other two has this bias more than CGC does from my personal experience where voldy is softer on SA and CGC is much harsher.. anyways I just had the rant about ignoring evidence and still going with what you believe instead of listen to evidence and evaluating a better judgement or changing a belief with the correct evidence presented. That was my point... I think I read to many political posts comments and SMH to much at how dumb some people can be and got heated for once lol it lasted all of 1 hour lol 

By graders, I mean literally anyone who grades. CGC, CBCS, and PGX comprise a very tiny amount of people who assess the condition of comic books. Educated guess: The vast majority of them do not subscribe to the "Golden Age bump".

Just now, theCapraAegagrus said:

By graders, I mean literally anyone who grades. CGC, CBCS, and PGX comprise a very tiny amount of people who assess the condition of comic books. Educated guess: The vast majority of them do not subscribe to the "Golden Age bump".

do you mean dealers? 

3 hours ago, Krismusic said:

Here's the funny thing: The senior grader for Voldy used to be the senior grader for CGC...

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I mean anyone.

I'm not a dealer, but I do 'grade'.

ok.. so by everyone so when you grade a book to buy your harsher because you want the seller to agree that it could be the lower grade so you can get a deal.. lets say on a raw copy... but when your selling.. most would grade bump GA books you can see this rampant through FB and IG with all the colourful language and "unique" mega keys, etc... names that people use to try to get their comics to see valuable or in a higher grade I've bough from dealers and guys who all talk about well its a GA book or old SA book it could get a high grade or the older label CGC harsher period of times.. 

so I don't think you can accurately say that GA bump isn't used by many as many do use it when selling books but don't use it when buying.. this is why CGC and the professionals continue to strive and make money... as they try to justify these differences that a buyer and seller.. key word try.. it still doesn't make it 100% fool proof as we have seen the CPR game, Old Label Game, the resubmit game all play into this.. its not a perfect system and never will be as these situations will always occur... and there will can be a GA/SA now bump based on the situation and circumstances.. or my book is the first 250 books printed, etc... 

3 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

ok.. so by everyone so when you grade a book to buy your harsher because you want the seller to agree that it could be the lower grade so you can get a deal.. lets say on a raw copy... but when your selling.. most would grade bump GA books you can see this rampant through FB and IG with all the colourful language and "unique" mega keys, etc... names that people use to try to get their comics to see valuable or in a higher grade I've bough from dealers and guys who all talk about well its a GA book or old SA book it could get a high grade or the older label CGC harsher period of times.. 

so I don't think you can accurately say that GA bump isn't used by many as many do use it when selling books but don't use it when buying.. this is why CGC and the professionals continue to strive and make money... as they try to justify these differences that a buyer and seller.. key word try.. it still doesn't make it 100% fool proof as we have seen the CPR game, Old Label Game, the resubmit game all play into this.. its not a perfect system and never will be as these situations will always occur... and there will can be a GA/SA now bump based on the situation and circumstances.. or my book is the first 250 books printed, etc...

By "you" I assume that you don't actually mean me, because I don't try to underpay for a comic, and I don't really sell comics.

Anyone who gives a comic some "Golden Age bump" is not being unbiased and is not a fair grader. It should be inherently tougher to receive better grades from older "Ages" because of the history. It's part of the fun in vintage collecting.

To be fair to CGC, of the Golden Age comics I've researched and 'watched', none of them appeared to be over-graded. That includes 1940's Action Comics and Superman, Pre-Code Horror, etc. I haven't seen any anecdotal evidence to suggest that they still give GA bumps.

From what I've seen, the difference between Golden Age and Silver Age grading is due to the fact that many Golden Age books are larger than Silver Age books. Size really does make a difference... 

Edited by The Lions Den

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

From what I've seen, the difference between Golden Age and Silver Age grading is due to the fact that many Golden Age books are larger than Silver Age books. Size really does make a difference... 

:ohnoez::(damn and she said it was the motion in the ocean that counted... :sorry:

On 1/23/2020 at 2:31 PM, Krismusic said:

There was evidence that  O.J Simpson was guilty of murder, and yet seemed to get away unscathed. Sometimes evidence doesn't equate to truth. Just because something appears like it is, doesn't mean it is.

What I do notice in my brief time on these boards is factions of people sticking together and warring against other factions regardless of whether the opinion is the truth or not, so in this case "Facts" are rendered moot.

Edited by BaronSamedi

20 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

There was evidence that  O.J Simpson was guilty of murder, and yet seemed to get away unscathed. Sometimes evidence doesn't equate to truth. Just because something appears like it is, doesn't mean it is.

What I do notice in my brief time on these boards is factions of people sticking together and warring against other factions regardless of whether the opinion is the truth or not, so in this case "Facts" are rendered moot.

really....:facepalm: you use this as your argument to not believe in facts or evidence?