• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulu's MODOK animated series (TBD)
1 1

56 posts in this topic

MODOK showrunner Jordan Blum tells us they wanted to use Stilt-Man in a hilarious sequence at Marvel's infamous Bar With No Name, only to be told no by the legal team at Marvel. In fact, Stilt-Man and Paste Pot Pete were the only two times Blum and his room were told no.

"Marvel was so cool about like, 'Yeah you want Iron Man? Yeah, take Iron Man.' And I was like, 'Oh my God I can't believe Iron Man!' Like the only characters, they said no to were like Stilt-Man and Paste-Pot Pete we tried to have in that episode," Blum tells us.

According to Blum, the writing team wanted Stilt-Man to be the bartender at the Bar With No Name so that he could retrieve liquor from the top shelf. After all, villains are likely stopping at the bar right after major heists, looking to splurge a bit of their bounty. Alas, the writer tells us rights issues involving Stilt-Man and Paste Pot Pete stood in the way from putting them in the show.

All 10 episodes of MODOK hit Hulu on May 21st.

hm

The Modok Assassin mini-series from Secret Wars Battleworld was an entertaining and absolutely ridiculous read, though the artwork didn’t do much for me.

So, reasonable to continue with the humour approach here.

Edited by Ken Aldred

20 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Why would paste pot pete have rights issues? Is that not squarely in Marvel's portfolio?

They are two very strange characters for Disney Legal to be concerned with their use.

That would be like when James Gunn mentioned WB/DC said he could pick any characters to appear in Suicide Squad, and he noted WB Legal said Ambush Bug was off limits. You'd have to wonder when the movie or two show appearance is happening.

Oswalt previously appeared in Agents of SHIELD as a batch of super-spy brothers. As the continuity between Marvel films and television shows continues to separate even further now that Marvel Studios has gotten into the world of television, Oswalt hopes it'll be his phone that rings should the Kevin Feige-led outfit ever choose to make a live-action MODOK.

"Are you kidding? That'd be freaking awesome if we played MODOK live action. Oh my God. I would love it," the actor adds. "Plus it's an acting job where I get to sit down the whole time. Are you kidding? I'd love that."

All 10 episodes of MODOK hit Hulu on May 21st.

:roflmao:

ComicBook.com: Let's talk MODOK. Man I've, watched it twice.

Jordan Blum: Oh my God, that's awesome! I hope not because of work, but of your own choosing.

Totally of my own choosing. I think it's Episode 4 where they're getting the band back together or whatever you want to call it. I instantly rewatched it 'cause I couldn't see half of it because there were tears in my eyes from laughing.

That's awesome. That's so good to hear.

Let's start at the beginning, of course. Why MODOK? Is it something Marvel TV was already planning on doing? Or you had this idea and you said, "Hey listen to this."

I had taken a meeting with Marvel and they had characters they were interested in pursuing and it's like, "What about M.O.D.O.K.?" And it's just a character I've loved since the comics, like the Mark Grunewald's Captain America stuff and the Iron Man TV show in the '90s, like it's that Jack Kirby design. It's so unique, it's so amazing, it's unforgettable and I love that he's this character that is, you know, this egomaniac who's obsessed with taking over the world but he's this floating head with baby arms and legs, who wants to mind blast everyone.

When I was thinking about the show and then I talked to Patton, we immediately started brainstorming and figuring out like, "Where does this guy go you know at night when he leaves that Captain America panel?" Or you know, "What is it like to run A.I.M? What does that take you know, to run your own evil organization?"

Out of that, you really get a sense of this office comedy or this family comedy that you know, he may be this very arch-villain, but he still has to deal with all the stuff that we do, like the bureaucracy of running an organization or you know, not being able to relate to his son and finding the humanity in this, this Stan Lee, Jack Kirby monster was such a fun challenge.

He's a flawed character like all the Marvel characters are and I think that's what Marvel does so well is, you know this giant universe that's exciting and big and larger than life but the characters are so human, so relatable. I think M.O.D.O.K. is one of them and to kind of build a show around that was thrilling.

There were all sorts of moving parts, of course, during this. Were you able to get most of the show done before everything kind of flipped under Marvel Studios? Was there any consultation on their part with the show at all?

They really dug it and were like, you know, they were really happy with the creative and I think they saw that we were very respectful of, you know everything that'd come before it. And, they really just let us do our own thing, you know. I don't think we ever really got any notes or anything from them. They were just kinda like, "This is working, keep going."

Say we get Season Two, shoot out some characters here you're going to throw on the show come Hell or high water.

It's gonna be even more X-Men-heavy, I'll tell you that much.

Is it?

Oh yeah, I've got to do Season Two. Before we got the okay to use some of them, I was like, "Let me see how well their lawyers know these characters." So, you know, Lila Cheney is in the pilot and it's like, "Okay, we got away with that. Let's see what we can do next." And then eventually it was like, "All right, Mister Sinister isn't here, they're fine with us using you know, these characters." The X-Men flood gates have opened. So yeah, there are some bigger, bigger guys I'd love to have show up Season Two. You know, I think I would love to write a "Storm/M.O.D.O.K." scene if I'm allowed to so... That would be my big pick, yeah.

On paper, it makes sense to give a character like MODOK — Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing — his own animated series. The long-time Marvel villain is, after all, one of the campiest entries in Marvel's ever-growing stable of characters, and he is someone most think could be nearly impossible to translate to live-action. From the second Hulu's new MODOK show rolls, it's apparent an animated series was a perfect choice for a character like this.

In the source material, MODOK oversees Advanced Idea Mechanics, a criminal organization that more commonly goes by AIM. That's still the case here, even though it's not the only focus. The series opens up with MODOK's control over the organization waning until the group is eventually ripped from his hands entirely. Naturally, this sends shockwaves throughout his personal life, and that's what's featured most throughout the first season of this series.

But it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Blum and his team do an excellent job of cutting the levity at the necessary times without removing it completely. By the end of the season, they manage to transform the campiest of camp into a misunderstood character that's almost entirely all too relatable. There are some life lessons (and Third Eye Blind cameos) along the way, and that creates a balance that helps take this show from good to great.

At the end of the day, MODOK never strays too far from its comedy, and that's where it thrives. It's a well-rounded offering from the House of Ideas that's one of the company's most exciting and original properties yet. It ends as fast as it starts, and that will definitely leave you wanting more. It's hilarious, surprisingly heartfelt, and entirely insane wrapped up into one oversized noggin, and Marvel has a hit on its hands.

Rating: 5 out of 5

All 10 episodes of MODOK hit Hulu on May 21st. If you haven't signed up for Hulu yet you can try it out here.

Saw the first episode.  It's OK, pretty formulaic though.  Not sure I'll watch more, but that's mostly because I'm short on time to watch things little kids can't see.

16 hours ago, csaag said:

5 minutes into the 1st episode and it seems like Robot Chicken writers contributed to the --script - and that's a good thing

well I saw Seth Green's name in the credits so maybe that explains why it had similarities to Robot Chicken to me.  Anyway liked the 1st episode and it' good enough to keep watching

39 minutes ago, Muno42 said:

I enjoyed it. Not Rick and Morty level, but enjoyable. Tons of references for fans. I get a kick out of the articles revealing that the show would not be tied to the MCU. Ya think?

How would I know? As soon as I saw Stark I assumed he had been brought back from snapping himself into oblivion somehow.  :idea:

It is pretty funny. I binged like 7 episodes with my kid this weekend. And who knew Marvel would reintroduce mutants and x-men villians via MODOK? I am loading up on DD 100s right now! And now Amazing Fantasy 7 is a double semi minor key. Maybe Marvel Boy 3 as well.