• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCS Pressing Error? Can This Be Fixed?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi, I recently got my X-Men 101 pressed and graded by CCS/CGC. Unfortunately, the Grader Notes indicated: "light crease left top of back cover" and "spine stress lines". However, when I looked closely at the back cover, I noticed a bunch of creases near the spine, which looks like a pressing error. Unfortunately, I didn't take a "before" picture of the back cover, just the front, but I don't remember seeing these creases. Even if they were there before, shouldn't pressing have eliminated them? Should I ask CCS to re-press this book to address this problem? Also, I could not see the "light crease" on the left top back cover, can anyone else see it?

X-Men101.thumb.jpg.eb0825bbbd0f11e5c41aca2a1e9fb67d.jpg1738756446_X-Men101_IMG_2073.thumb.jpg.48d4ded04795491b329374f8ea99f083.jpg1355793428_X-Men101_IMG_2072.thumb.jpg.561d420eb7dfe36f6c83f5c2b20c3c41.jpg298675136_X-Men101_IMG_2074.thumb.jpg.8ba69cd2fdb04b9748b794d9d3d052e6.jpg2057392000_X-Men101_IMG_2071.thumb.jpg.175b92fe76a9adcb49f5fd89fbc83a37.jpg2072743324_X-Men101_IMG_2092.thumb.jpg.0190e102d57b148925fb5fadeaa11d9b.jpg 

22 hours ago, DedalusMan said:

Also, I could not see the "light crease" on the left top back cover, can anyone else see it?

Yes.

topcorner.jpg.c39be48372e84134a2a4f63285684e46.jpg

If the spine creases weren't there when you sent the book, that's bad. If they were, it's not great, but pressing can't remove creases, though it can lessen their appearance.

You should always have good pictures before you submit anything, especially if it has real value.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes.

topcorner.jpg.c39be48372e84134a2a4f63285684e46.jpg

If the spine creases weren't there when you sent the book, that's bad. If they were, it's not great, but pressing can't remove creases, though it can lessen their appearance.

You should always have good pictures before you submit anything, especially if it has real value.

Wow, you're right. Although that's really barely there, lol. And yup, I'm kicking myself for not taking detailed before photos. Anyway, I thought that a proper pressing could remove these kinds of creases if done correctly.

2 hours ago, DedalusMan said:

Wow, you're right. Although that's really barely there, lol. And yup, I'm kicking myself for not taking detailed before photos. Anyway, I thought that a proper pressing could remove these kinds of creases if done correctly.

I heard back from CGC/CCS and they said they would try to "touch up" this book. And actually, they said that the "light crease" on the left top back cover is not the diagonal crease, but the slight overhang on the left top edge where the cover hangs over the inside pages. This should have been pressed out originally, but they're going to try again. Don't know if they're going to be able to fix the spine stress creases, but they indicated that fixing the corner crease could raise the grade. It's worth a shot!

Just a crazy idea here...but I would think the graders SHOULD know if a book has been pressed by CCS because they are all under the same umbrella/company - and if the graders DO detect a pressable/cleanable bend, dent defect etc... they should bring it to CCS's attention BEFORE they grade/add it to the notes. They could then potentially kick it back and say "hey, there are still pressable defects on this book... can you take a look at it again to see if they can be removed like, now... or did you try your best and they simply aren't fixable?" 

I'm confused why this isn't happening to be honest. 

On 1/26/2020 at 12:42 PM, ivegotneatstuff said:

Just a crazy idea here...but I would think the graders SHOULD know if a book has been pressed by CCS because they are all under the same umbrella/company - and if the graders DO detect a pressable/cleanable bend, dent defect etc... they should bring it to CCS's attention BEFORE they grade/add it to the notes. They could then potentially kick it back and say "hey, there are still pressable defects on this book... can you take a look at it again to see if they can be removed like, now... or did you try your best and they simply aren't fixable?" 

I'm confused why this isn't happening to be honest. 

According to CGC, their graders are not supposed to know if a book has been pressed CCS. But you're right that someone in quality control should be able to determine if a book was not properly pressed, based on the grader's notes.