• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skottie Young cover dump on his website
1 1

120 posts in this topic

I know buying Skottie art has been a topic around Here for the last few weeks so I thought it would be interesting to note that he dropped a bunch of Covers on his website this morning at rather attractive prices (a lot less then his rep was getting). And the majority of them sold within a couple Hours. I did grab the House of X 6 cover.

is this a good thing?? Lol

https://www.skottieyoung.com/orignal-art

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

You tell us! You seem to dig what you buy pretty strongly (what grammer me have) so it is probably worth it for you. Are you gonna be a BSD soon? :kidaround:

Hahah- just trying to build a modest collection over here lol. 

personally I think it shows what the reps cut/influence is in art sales considering these covers looked to be about 30-50% less then they were previously. 

41 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Hahah- just trying to build a modest collection over here lol. 

personally I think it shows what the reps cut/influence is in art sales considering these covers looked to be about 30-50% less then they were previously. 

I would not argue with you that this is untrue, but to be fair, when I bought my SY page from Felix for $500 it arrived with a price of $600 on the back. I asked Felix about it and he said he had talked Skottie into lowering his original asking price. 

Not really familiar with his art. 

However, it's nice to see what the pricing is, especially for the "sold" pieces.  Usually a piece that has sold just has "sold" and you never know what it cost.  It's a nice FYI.

As a prospective buyer, even if a piece has sold, it's good to know what it went for.  I guess sellers don't care to advertise that information, it's just like saying "it says sold, that's how you know I'm good at pricing"

1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

I would not argue with you that this is untrue, but to be fair, when I bought my SY page from Felix for $500 it arrived with a price of $600 on the back. I asked Felix about it and he said he had talked Skottie into lowering his original asking price. 

Hey- who really knows.. Skottie may be buying a house and needed an influx of cash or something else and this was a one time lowering...We will have to see where it goes from here I guess. 

But I am newer in the hobby and this is the first time I recall an artist breaking from a rep and then drastic pricing changes. So I thought it was interesting and something to discus.. If you guys who have been around the block a few more times then me have seen this before feel free to chime in. 

10 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Hey- who really knows.. Skottie may be buying a house and needed an influx of cash or something else and this was a one time lowering...We will have to see where it goes from here I guess. 

But I am newer in the hobby and this is the first time I recall an artist breaking from a rep and then drastic pricing changes. So I thought it was interesting and something to discus.. If you guys who have been around the block a few more times then me have seen this before feel free to chime in. 

Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time. I remember Tony Harris decided to dump most everything he had at once, most was $25 a page (no Starman or Dr Strange, that was long gone by then) and I got tons of Ex Machina, Iron Man, LODK and such. Covers were $500 (painted ones for the Shade miniseries, the second one where Tony did all the covers...reselling nicely now too, better than when I sold my 2 or 3 off.) Tony emailed me about that opportunity, imagine that. That was an OA experience, opening a package with 45 or so pages in it!!!

Edited by Bird
I think those covers were $500. Almost certain and not looking it up

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time. I remember Tony Harris decided to dump most everything he had at once, most was $25 a page (no Starman or Dr Strange, that was long gone by then) and I got tons of Ex Machina, Iron Man, LODK and such. Covers were $500 (painted ones for the Shade miniseries, the second one where Tony did all the covers...reselling nicely now too, better than when I sold my 2 or 3 off.) Tony emailed me about that opportunity, imagine that. That was an OA experience, opening a package with 45 or so pages in it!!!

WOW- that must have been great!

But seriously... yea I think right spot right time is important too. 

2 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Skottie's lower prices on his site for this first offering prompted some chatter on FB, too. Here was my reply to that as it applies here, too:

Thanks to Annabel for pointing me to these threads.

First off, I want to congratulate Skottie on a successful sale! I will always consider him a friend and will continue to root for his well-deserved success.

Regarding pricing when I helped him sell his art and now: It's always been largely determined by Skottie. Skottie is very aware of his own value, and of the value of his art. Prior to working with me, Skottie sold a lot of covers via eBay; auctions aren't necessarily a perfect reflection of market value, but they're close. Spidey covers, for example, were routinely in the $5K range. He was not going to get any less selling them through me. Same with sketches. Having sold them through his site for years before, he knew exactly what he should get for them on my site and priced them all. Indeed, between covers, pages, sketches, we sold 90%+ of the art I handled. I would say the market felt the pricing was fair.

The covers that were dropped today were all new. I did not have them on my site before. Looking at the prices, they were less than what we would have had on my site. Why? No idea. But I would not expect them to be this low forever. For today, I think collectors should just be glad they got great deals!

So in addition to Skottie, I would say congrats to buyers, as well. Always a happy day when we get new art!

Thanks for the color Felix... I am very happy to have been able to grab one personally. 

BTW I have been listening to your podcast on @AnkurJ recommendation.. only through about the first 8 but a great listen for me as a newer collector. Thank you for doing them. 

5 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

4 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Some artists have a good idea of FMV for their art. Some have no idea. And some have the completely wrong idea. A decent rep will help an artist figure it out. Sometimes that means prices are raised. But often it can mean that prices are lowered. I have done that many times. Because the art sells well, the artists trust my feel for the market.

So my influence, at least, goes both ways. I look out for collectors as much as I do the artists. Both parties have to be satisfied.

4 minutes ago, artdisease said:

I got the Marvels epilogue X-Men cover. I was pleasantly surprised at the price. I tried getting the Star Lord/Groot cover but it sold before I could checkout. 

They were moving fast.. I had it narrowed to three different ones and one disappeared, really caused me to make a move lol.

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

They were moving fast.. I had it narrowed to three different ones and one disappeared, really caused me to make a move lol.

The x-men cover was the one I knew I wanted so as soon as I saw it I added it and checked out. I wasn't taking the chance of missing by looking at the other pieces. After it was successfully purchased I took a better look. 😁

9 minutes ago, artdisease said:

The x-men cover was the one I knew I wanted so as soon as I saw it I added it and checked out. I wasn't taking the chance of missing by looking at the other pieces. After it was successfully purchased I took a better look. 😁

I liked that one too.. if it was there when I got to the site I may have grabbed it!