• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skottie Young cover dump on his website
1 1

120 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I would LOVE to know what Skottie Young covers bring at resale after a collector has paid these really high prices.

that is a great question... I do not know, I just threw his name into comicarttracker and it does not even look like a lot are available. 22 covers sold off his website today though. 

Just now, Unstoppablejayd said:

that is a great question... I do not know, I just threw his name into comicarttracker and it does not even look like a lot are available. 22 covers sold off his website today though. 

I hope, hope, hope that people didn't buy thinking 1. They were getting a great deal, and 2. that these are great investments. I may be out of the loop on current artists' pricing, but for the price of the cheapest cover on his site, I could have bought a really good piece of art by an '80s and '90s Marvel artist whose art I KNOW will increase in value (I could name a few). I've said for years that artists these days want Jack Kirby and Frank Miller prices for their art the minute it's drawn and it's just not worth it. I do hope that, in five years, Skottie Young variant covers are worth Frazetta prices so that I'm proven wrong, but I don't think that will be the case.

6 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I hope, hope, hope that people didn't buy thinking 1. They were getting a great deal, and 2. that these are great investments. I may be out of the loop on current artists' pricing, but for the price of the cheapest cover on his site, I could have bought a really good piece of art by an '80s and '90s Marvel artist whose art I KNOW will increase in value (I could name a few). I've said for years that artists these days want Jack Kirby and Frank Miller prices for their art the minute it's drawn and it's just not worth it. I do hope that, in five years, Skottie Young variant covers are worth Frazetta prices so that I'm proven wrong, but I don't think that will be the case.

As someone with no knowledge of the modern market I had the same thoughts. I am not saying the prices are high or low. I am saying that this thread convinced me there is no ONE market, but rather myriad markets. I am buying pretty niche but amazingly detailed full color game art for these prices or less, and this is prime stuff from the late 80s and early 90s that thousands of kids looked at at hobby stores across the world. 

Edited by cstojano

1 minute ago, Michael Browning said:

For the most part I do agree with you that new art is overpriced a lot of the time... But a published cover is a published cover, and with what most of those are going for now, I do think these were a good deal relatively. 

me personally. I bought it because I have thought his art is fun and interesting for a while, and looked into a commission but they are 3/400 dollars. For a bit over double that I thought the published cover from a book I liked of characters I prefer was the better way to go. 

And realistically.. 1000 dollars is not getting you a whole lot in today's market of 80s/90s art. 

9 minutes ago, O. said:

Covers with multiple variants shouldn't be valued the same way as standalone covers. Valuation-wise, I view these as more akin to pin-ups or splashes.

Sellers are exploiting the traditional cover price multiple of 8x-10x a panel page, but buyers have to draw the line and not be sheep. The supply side of the equation has changed, and prices must reflect that!

In many instances nowadays, comics have almost as many covers as interior pages :screwy:

Interesting point.. and I have actually had that conversation with a few friends more toward small run store variants but in the same vein .  But variant covers are not really new (since the 90s) and a lot of the times the variant covers are done by better and more desirable artists. So in today's world how do you equate for that using your valuation math?

I did not really want to make this a new art is overpriced thread, I actually think that was my point by pointing out the deviation on the price of these covers from past sales. But I think the whole way we look at values of art has to change as the OA world evolves. 

I mean you have commissions going for thousands of dollars at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

But variant covers are not really new (since the 90s)

'90s variants were largely limited to foil/non-foil (or similar gimmick) covers with identical art. Multiple variant covers with unique art, for example Gen13, were the exception rather than the norm.

4 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

a lot of the times the variant covers are done by better and more desirable artists. So in today's world how do you equate for that using your valuation math?

Value that variant cover the same way you would a splash/pin-up by that artist.

1 minute ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

SO- if Skottie sketches and panel pages go for around 300 - I think the prices on these covers was right about on your calculator?

I wish! That price applies(d) to I Hate Fairyland and “C” pages for AvX. The good AvX pages were $500+. Or $550 after tax and shipping 😭

I think you're sort of paying a lottery ticket premium on all modern art. Some of the art being produced today will be the Kirbys, Millers, Buscemas, and Byrnes of tomorrow. It's just nobody knows who and what that art will be and you're paying for the upside on that uncertainty. Will Skottie Young's unique art style still hold mass appeal decades from now? I have no idea. I think Tradd Moore is as good or better than any of the premiere artists of the past. That doesn't mean his art will be worth anything in the future. I think it was said in the other SY thread - just buy what you like and you can't go wrong.

4 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I hope, hope, hope that people didn't buy thinking 1. They were getting a great deal, and 2. that these are great investments.

I hope, hope, hope, hope that people don't buy ANY comic art thinking 1. They are getting a great deal, and 2. that these are great investments.

I hope they buy it because they enjoy it.

I'm not saying resale consideration isn't important. It's just not the most important consideration. To me. "Resale", "great deal", "investment"...bleh.

I may be out of the loop on current artists' pricing, but for the price of the cheapest cover on his site, I could have bought a really good piece of art by an '80s and '90s Marvel artist whose art I KNOW will increase in value (I could name a few) .

Of course Skottie's art seems overpriced to you...because you don't like it. Because it's not your thing. By the same token, that '80s/'90s Marvel art you think is undervalued, may not seem so undervalued to me. Even if it was, if I don't like it, I'll have no interest in owning it, no matter how great of a deal you tell me it is.

I've said for years that artists these days want Jack Kirby and Frank Miller prices for their art the minute it's drawn and it's just not worth it.

It won't be worth it to you regardless if the artists want Jack Kirby or Frank Miller money or not. You're not into modern art. That's fine...but you also wouldn't be the one to judge its value. Just as so much '90s art is worthless to me, doesn't mean it's actually worthless.

As well, artists can ask for Jack Kirby or Frank Miller money all they want, but if the market doesn't agree, they won't get it. As it is, outside of an outlier sale or two, no modern artist is getting prime Jack Kirby or Frank Miller money.

You're not alone in your thinking, btw. Modern art can be an easy target, especially for those who know very little about modern comics.

Edited by Nexus

11 hours ago, O. said:

Value that variant cover the same way you would a splash/pin-up by that artist.

I think we sometimes try to come up with equations for value and, while you can sometimes find some trends in pricing, equations are not possible. These are one of a kind and they are art. They all speak to people differently. A great splash may sell for more than an average or undesirable cover, a great variant cover might be in more demand than the regular cover. I would also say ... that a variant cover generally holds more value than a splash if quality of art are somewhat comparable.