• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Skottie Young cover dump on his website
1 1

120 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I know buying Skottie art has been a topic around Here for the last few weeks so I thought it would be interesting to note that he dropped a bunch of Covers on his website this morning at rather attractive prices (a lot less then his rep was getting). And the majority of them sold within a couple Hours. I did grab the House of X 6 cover.

is this a good thing?? Lol

https://www.skottieyoung.com/orignal-art

I always miss out on these drops! 

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

Its this desire to quantify everything, label everything, put tags on everything so there is some form of non-existant formula for art to make it easier for folks that don't want to put in the time to learn the ins and outs of a particular facet of the original art market.

"Please CGC catalog it so I know what to pay, please." It's trying to bring comic collection checklist/spreadsheet mentality into it.

vomit-emoji-gif-11.gif

There is no buyer's guide. No one is gonna hold your hand and give you the blog, catalog, spreadsheet to tell you what a thing is actually worth (even those that try). And chasing the commodification side of art is, frankly, missing the whole point IMO.
It's supposed to illicit an emotional or intellectual response. Not a financial one.

I give your post an 8.5 

8 minutes ago, dirtymartini1 said:

I will buy some Skottie Young art but first I have to sell some tulips I've been sitting on. 

Until then,  I will buy some pieces from Chris Giarusso. Same simple kiddie lines at less than half the price of SY.

That is one of the beauties of this hobby .. different strokes for different folks. And thank you. I wasn’t familiar with Chris Giarusso work prior to this post. Interesting, if you see him draw an X-men cover let me know I may be interested in it. 

20 hours ago, Nexus said:

I hope, hope, hope, hope that people don't buy ANY comic art thinking 1. They are getting a great deal, and 2. that these are great investments.

I hope they buy it because they enjoy it.

I'm not saying resale consideration isn't important. It's just not the most important consideration. To me. "Resale", "great deal", "investment"...bleh.

Of course Skottie's art seems overpriced to you...because you don't like it. Because it's not your thing. By the same token, that '80s/'90s Marvel art you think is undervalued, may not seem so undervalued to me. Even if it was, if I don't like it, I'll have no interest in owning it, no matter how great of a deal you tell me it is.

It won't be worth it to you regardless if the artists want Jack Kirby or Frank Miller money or not. You're not into modern art. That's fine...but you also wouldn't be the one to judge its value. Just as so much '90s art is worthless to me, doesn't mean it's actually worthless.

As well, artists can ask for Jack Kirby or Frank Miller money all they want, but if the market doesn't agree, they won't get it. As it is, outside of an outlier sale or two, no modern artist is getting prime Jack Kirby or Frank Miller money.

You're not alone in your thinking, btw. Modern art can be an easy target, especially for those who know very little about modern comics.

I read a lot of modern comics and enjoy modern art. I even own some; heck, I bought two modern art covers last year.

As I get older, resale is one of the most important considerations.

I actually do like Skottie's art. It's very cute and quirky.

I've been reading and collecting comics since 1976 and I have recognized a few major stars when they came along like Bill Sienkiewicz, Frank Miller, Jim Lee, Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefeld and a few others and I just don't see anyone who is blowing people away with their art and making people say "I need to get that issue because 'Artist X' is drawing it."

6 hours ago, dirtymartini1 said:

I will buy some Skottie Young art but first I have to sell some tulips I've been sitting on. 

Until then,  I will buy some pieces from Chris Giarusso. Same simple kiddie lines at less than half the price of SY.

Anybody who is totally satisfied by Goarusso’s work should absolutely have at it.

Anybody who truly thinks they are the “same simple kiddie lines” would probably be happy with a Manley over a Miller, or a Sal over a Steranko.

You know, same simple comic book characters... outlines and stuff.

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Got my Skottie in the mail today and could not be happier... a little surprise was his prelim pencils on the back. 

25CED2E7-01C1-4EA2-AC6F-5908EA69CDD8.jpeg

F50C9814-3B5A-4BA2-A53E-50D5929F6203.jpeg

So it looks like he does use a blue graphite pencil and then inks over them? No scan?

On 1/24/2020 at 1:39 AM, NelsonAI said:

"Fresh to Market" AND "lower prices"? :whatthe: :banana:

There is a huge difference in talent when comparing Skottie to Chris. 

For full disclosure, I do own an early Spidey / Swarm publushed cover by Skottie.  People should just go with their gut and not worry about who else buys which artists' work. Dave Mandel, (or anyone else), has a wonderful collection but not every piece appeals to everyone.  Don't worry about what Dave buys, worry about your own collection.

I love Skottie's work on Wizard of Oz but all the covers were snapped up by a single European collector.  As far as the panel pages for that mini-series, Quesada cherry picked the best pages and displayed them in his young daughter's room.

Now unless you are a fan of SY, who cares what Quesada buys.  Buy what you like and what you can afford.

Odd coincidence, I was browsing the upcoming listings for the CL featured auction, and it looks like you may be in luck.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2020feb%26itemtype%3D1%26pg%3D5%26x%3D33%26y%3D7%23Item_1373286&id=1373286&itemType=1

Edited by cstojano

42 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I do not think this one is.. as the rough pre- lim on the back is different then what is on the front and it looks like blue pencil under the ink.. but who knows?? 

To me, it looks like the "prelim" on the back is very similar, if not exactly the same, as on the front.  I'm just looking at certain landmarks.  Looks like his prelim is in black and blue.

This isn't a bad thing.  It's just how modern artists are using technology.

12 hours ago, cstojano said:

Odd coincidence, I was browsing the upcoming listings for the CL featured auction, and it looks like you may be in luck.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3Fcode%3D2020feb%26itemtype%3D1%26pg%3D5%26x%3D33%26y%3D7%23Item_1373286&id=1373286&itemType=1

I don't know anything about any of this thread, but that splash reminds me of Christina's World by Wyeth.  Could be because I just watched something on YouTube about that piece...

So did anyone get on Skotties commission list? I was debating on it. Between Jim Lee's charity auctions, of which I've won zero but I'll keep trying and Heritage closing soon I wasn't sure. I decided to send a message when the list opened, one thing led to another and now I'm waiting on a new Skottie piece. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

11 minutes ago, artdisease said:

So did anyone get on Skotties commission list? I was debating on it. Between Jim Lee's charity auctions, of which I've won zero but I'll keep trying and Heritage closing soon I wasn't sure. I decided to send a message when the list opened, one thing led to another and now I'm waiting on a new Skottie piece. I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

I thought the prices were too stiff, so I passed.

46 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

I thought the prices were too stiff, so I passed.

I agree they're pretty high. His covers are a better deal comparatively speaking. However, I had to get a Star Wars commission. Once that's in hand my Skottie collecting might be done for a bit.