• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this be safe for books? AKA Pudding!
4 4

28 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, wilbil said:

I also think the thread title has to be changed to puddling. I taut I saw a puddy tat.

Pudding.gif.ce03d7dbc969bd4495848391f0ea7a44.gif

I originally posted this under a different topic but thought I would repost it here since this topic addresses this specific issue.  Based on comments on the other post and the ones I see here, I am going to return any books with "puddling". 

When I discussed this with CGC, they did not discourage me from sending them back.  The only reason I even hesitated is that some of the books are valuable (over 10k), and I would rather not put all the extra miles and risk on them. By the way, I was lucky enough to get a CGC CSR who had worked in QC in the past.  He said this issue is likely caused by the machine that pops the case together applying too much pressure.  Once hunch is they may have tweaked that pressure a little to increase the speed at which the cases snap together.  A better hunch is they have changed the design and thickness of the case (perhaps to deal with Newton rings) and the  new design is more susceptible to this type of stress deformation.  He was also completely honest about the QC issues at CGC.  He indicated they are training a lot of new people in that department and that he expected the issue to improve as this year goes on.

CGC_Issue_01.jpg

CGC_Issue_02.jpg

CGC_Issue_03.jpg