• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Real or Fake - Kirby Kublak sketch
1 1

71 posts in this topic

New collector here, just getting my feet wet in the last couple of months. The thread about the fake Shuster got me a little spooked. Last month at the Profiles in History action of "a distinguished collector," I picked up a pin-up purported to be by Kirby of his late (late 80s/early 90s) character Kublak. It came without CoA or details of its origin. The page is 14x7.75 inches; I cropped the white sides off the image below. I assume that at this point it would be impossible to prove that it is Kirby's work, but does anything about it cast doubt?

onqF0iN.thumb.jpg.d4003a0fa975a116c656490048c0438b.jpg

On 1/21/2020 at 8:32 PM, RBerman said:

New collector here, just getting my feet wet in the last couple of months. The thread about the fake Shuster got me a little spooked. Last month at the Profiles in History action of "a distinguished collector," I picked up a pin-up purported to be by Kirby of his late (late 80s/early 90s) character Kublak. It came without CoA or details of its origin. The page is 14x7.75 inches; I cropped the white sides off the image below. I assume that at this point it would be impossible to prove that it is Kirby's work, but does anything about it cast doubt?

onqF0iN.thumb.jpg.d4003a0fa975a116c656490048c0438b.jpg

Hang tight I reached out to Genesis West to get more info on this piece. I’m waiting to hear back. Then I’ll share what I find out.

grape ape

🍇 +   🦍 

7 hours ago, grapeape said:

Hang tight I reached out to Genesis West to get more info on this piece. I’m waiting to hear back. Then I’ll share what I find out.

grape ape

🍇 +   🦍 

Of course there could be some conflict of interest at play re: Thibodeaux, Royer and anything 1980s Kirby that doesn't look like my 95 year old grandmother drew it ;)

No one ghosted for Kirby. He had assistants that “helped” him out on commissions.

As Mark Evanier said “that later on when he was ailing, Kirby had people who “helped him out a little on commissions — Jack actually had less assistants than anybody else who produced that much work — but nobody was ghosting for him.”

Edited by RICKYBOBBY
Spelling

1 hour ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

No one ghosted for Kirby. He had assistants that “helped” him out on commissions.

As Mark Evanier said “that later on when he was ailing, Kirby had people who “helped him out a little on commissions — Jack actually had less assistants than anybody else who produced that much work — but nobody was ghosting for him.”

14 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Yep - I’ll believe Mark Evanier over anyone on this board 😊

Not a perfect fit but close enough for not only yourself and Mark but so-called "helpers" and other beneficiaries of asking Kirby money for non-Kirby art (and probably not even signatures unless you count Roz!)

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

-Upton Sinclair

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Not a perfect fit but close enough for not only yourself and Mark but so-called "helpers" and other beneficiaries of asking Kirby money for non-Kirby art (and probably not even signatures unless you count Roz!)

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

-Upton Sinclair

So discrediting Mark and accusing other beneficiaries in selling non kirby art as kirby art. I’d like to see proof of that accusation. Or did you forget to add the word “probably” in front of your statement ? Just like “Probably not even his signature”. Nice water cooler conversation to pass time but it’s nothing more than that.

The enemy of truth is blind acceptance - Matthew Arnold

Some of us have been around this thing of ours a long time. Sometimes knowing something for certain and proving it (we are not in a courtroom) are two different things.

its easy to dismiss the advice on here. Just know that for the most part it is left here to make people think. It can seem snarky, know it all and darn right!!

I get it.

Still if I was anywhere near heartbreak(owning, buying, selling fake, stolen counterfeit or forged material) I’ll take that sobering message anyway I can get it.

Sometimes there’s a tendency to circle the wagons not facing the fact that we might be circling the drain.

And before I get blown up I’m not talking about Y O U.

Unless what I’m saying feels like I’m talking to you.

Here to learn and to help.

The Grape of Ape

It's getting to where I have a hard time trusting sketches from just about any artist. They are getting to be as hard as sports autographs to trust their authenticity.

It's a shame because I love old con sketches, but I have stepped away from them altogether.  

Edited by gumbydarnit

2 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

It's getting to where I have a hard time trusting sketches from just about any artist. They are getting to be as hard as sports autographs to trust their authenticity.

It's a shame because I love old con sketches, but I have stepped away from them altogether.  

I understand that. My comfortability is based on seeing an artists work over a long period of time. 
For the most part buying or receiving a sketch from the artist is the best way to avoid getting burned.

7 hours ago, Varanis said:

Not that there’s no risk, but I believe the specialty auction houses do some level of diligence to ensure they don’t list fakes. eBay in the other hand is rife with fakes. 

I wish that were always true, but there's a whole thread now about fake Shusters that suggest the diligence is spottier than they admit.  Agree about eBay.

Yes, my newbie take is that sketches can't be trusted, which is really too bad since they're good for the artist (more income) and good for the fan community (new art with potentially interesting new poses and character combinations). But they're too easily subverted by the unscrupulous to fleece the gullible (a group which may include me). For those seeing this thread without the benefit of the decades of knowledge alluded to above, here are some relevant direct links:

https://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2011/10/original-art-stories-mystery-of-jack.html

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/19/greg-theakston-sothebys-and-the-great-jack-kirby-scam/

https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/dynamics/2011/10/23/re-shame-on-you-danny-boy/

5 hours ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

That's a statement that needs a concrete definition for every commission that "Kirby" ever did.  Otherwise it's an airy fairy statement that means very little.  

Edited by pemart1966

20 minutes ago, grapeape said:

I understand that. My comfortability is based on seeing an artists work over a long period of time. 
For the most part buying or receiving a sketch from the artist is the best way to avoid getting burned.

What shook me was a con sketch that I thought was a fake was for sale on ebay. A fan went to the artist's site and asked him if it was real, I was certain he would dog it as a bad forgery, but instead he gave it his blessing, looked legit to him! 

Then there was the time a sketch I had for years in my collection was posted FS on ebay. I sent the seller a detailed scan of a section, showing the underdrawing and washy brush stokes on the sketch. He claimed he must have been scammed and took the auction down. 

40 minutes ago, grapeape said:

Some of us have been around this thing of ours a long time. Sometimes knowing something for certain and proving it (we are not in a courtroom) are two different things.

its easy to dismiss the advice on here. Just know that for the most part it is left here to make people think. It can seem snarky, know it all and darn right!!

I get it.

Still if I was anywhere near heartbreak(owning, buying, selling fake, stolen counterfeit or forged material) I’ll take that sobering message anyway I can get it.

Sometimes there’s a tendency to circle the wagons not facing the fact that we might be circling the drain.

And before I get blown up I’m not talking about Y O U.

Unless what I’m saying feels like I’m talking to you.

Here to learn and to help.

The Grape of Ape

Not just dismissing advice on here. But I don’t think anyone is certain of anything on here. People are just echoing what Greg Theakston came out and wrote this in his book - that Jack didn’t do those and someone ghosted - but I can’t tell you WHO. Okay.
To me - just seems like a great way to sell his book. Also, no “expert” on this board said anything before his statements (for about 18 years). And then all of a sudden they are fake because we all say so?
I would say in this case that someone like Mark would have a better insight in Jacks final years and his process during this time.