• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writing on cover
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I’m considering bidding on an early x-men issue.  It is slabbed with a CGC grade of 7.0.  The most obvious flaw is a date stamp that was applied to the cover around the date the comic was issued.  I assume this flaw was factored in when the 7.0 grade was assigned by CGC.  Is that right?  Notwithstanding the grade, does writing on the cover such as this, practically speaking, make the book less valuable?

thanks for any thoughts.  

1 hour ago, FiveForFighting said:

Is it a date stamp or is it written on the cover? There are people that collect date stamps, not so much written ones.

Regardless I think original dates are not factored into the grade unless it's really high grade. I don't think it affects a mid-grade book like you describe.

It is a date stamp. That’s interesting - thanks for the feedback. 

8 hours ago, Dergrosse13 said:

I’m considering bidding on an early x-men issue.  It is slabbed with a CGC grade of 7.0.  The most obvious flaw is a date stamp that was applied to the cover around the date the comic was issued.  I assume this flaw was factored in when the 7.0 grade was assigned by CGC.  Is that right?  Notwithstanding the grade, does writing on the cover such as this, practically speaking, make the book less valuable?

thanks for any thoughts.  

Not usually. Maybe written dates in high-grade.

The date value is subjective to the buyer. Some people like them, some people couldn't care less, and others dislike them.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Not usually. Maybe written dates in high-grade.

The date value is subjective to the buyer. Some people like them, some people couldn't care less, and others dislike them.

Really interesting.  Would not have thought some people would see it as a plus.  Much appreciated