• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What causes a book to get GLOD?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, RonS2112 said:

It makes sense though.  A green label says, "there's a big flaw with this book OVER AND ABOVE the flaws that contribute to the grade we've arrived at."  So I wouldn't expect the green label to command the same price as a blue label with he same grade.

yeah but like I said what if they green label is just for a unwitnessed signature that has a COA or what about a book signed by Kirby on inside cover, etc.. I dont think those books should be less than blue label prices. 

1 minute ago, Krismusic said:

yeah but like I said what if they green label is just for a unwitnessed signature that has a COA or what about a book signed by Kirby on inside cover, etc.. I dont think those books should be less than blue label prices. 

Maybe......if I had a nice book with a Kirby signature and a COA, I'd think twice before sending it in for slabbing, if I was certain it was going to get the green label.

23 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Qualified labels aren't usually killers, though - mostly using in-demand books as a reference. People don't really 'look down' upon them.

But they don't sell for the same price as a blue holder of the same grade right? I think that's what the person meant by their comments.

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

But they don't sell for the same price as a blue holder of the same grade right? I think that's what the person meant by their comments.

I've seen in-demand comics go for close to their universal counterparts.

I'm not an expert on Qualified books, though. That's just my experience looking at some stuff.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I've seen in-demand comics go for close to their universal counterparts.

I'm not an expert on Qualified books, though. That's just my experience looking at some stuff.

On my end, I can only talk about golden age, which I look at closely. And It does depends. I was only referring to Qualified books where they are qualified due to a defect detracting from an otherwise nice grade, which is the issue the original post was about. They usually sell for less. But yeah, there are cases where the green is used just for an unverified signature and those are the same, if not more like in the case of some Michael Turner signatures I saw.

4 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

On my end, I can only talk about golden age, which I look at closely. And It does depends. I was only referring to Qualified books where they are qualified due to a defect detracting from an otherwise nice grade, which is the issue the original post was about. They usually sell for less. But yeah, there are cases where the green is used just for an unverified signature and those are the same, if not more like in the case of some Michael Turner signatures I saw.

I haven't ever really looked at Q labels that exist to expound on a "large defect". That's new to me.

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't ever really looked at Q labels that exist to expound on a "large defect". That's new to me.

Those tend to sell for a lot less. Here is an example with Amazing Spider-man 13 (picked at random). A 6.0 in 2016 would go for $417 and it's a key book, so a slabbed book of that would have no problem fetching that price. But it sold for $155, only 37% of it's guide price. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-13-marvel-1964-cgc-qualified-fn-60-white-pages/a/121715-12182.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

So that's what the person means by Green Slab of Death. If it's not because of a signature, then that green slab indicates that there is something really wrong with your book and it becomes near worthless by comparison. So, extrapolating that, a Fantastic Four 52 with a green label, which would fetch around 350 if it were blue, will instead be more in the ballpark of $100 (assuming it comes back as a 3.5 green label). 

amazing spidey.jpg

12 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Those tend to sell for a lot less. Here is an example with Amazing Spider-man 13 (picked at random). A 6.0 in 2016 would go for $417 and it's a key book, so a slabbed book of that would have no problem fetching that price. But it sold for $155, only 37% of it's guide price. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-13-marvel-1964-cgc-qualified-fn-60-white-pages/a/121715-12182.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

So that's what the person means by Green Slab of Death. If it's not because of a signature, then that green slab indicates that there is something really wrong with your book and it becomes near worthless by comparison. So, extrapolating that, a Fantastic Four 52 with a green label, which would fetch around 350 if it were blue, will instead be more in the ballpark of $100 (assuming it comes back as a 3.5 green label). 

amazing spidey.jpg

Yes, thank you.  This is the exact scenario I think I'm looking at.  Except I bought the book "un-slabbed" and despite posting pictures of the exterior and interior on eBay, the seller had nothing in either the photos or the write-up to indicate anything missing.  I didn't notice any issue on looking through the book, which indicates to me that a page has likely been neatly removed.

4 hours ago, RonS2112 said:

Yes, thank you.  This is the exact scenario I think I'm looking at.  Except I bought the book "un-slabbed" and despite posting pictures of the exterior and interior on eBay, the seller had nothing in either the photos or the write-up to indicate anything missing.  I didn't notice any issue on looking through the book, which indicates to me that a page has likely been neatly removed.

The seller most probably didn't notice anything either.

Please post a pic of the slab when you get it back.

For some people, seeing the green label atomically causes buyers to ignore it, without looking any further at it, regardless of the reason its qualified.  The percentage of people who do that is not insignificant, which certainly leads to lower auction prices which leads other people to believe they're less valuable which leads even more people to ignore them outright which leads to even lower auction prices etc etc ad nauseum you get the point.

And even then, if you actually want the book and don't mind the qualification, you will still use any or all of the talking points to negotiate the price lower, further diminishing the green label values.

24 minutes ago, revat said:

For some people, seeing the green label atomically causes buyers to ignore it, without looking any further at it, regardless of the reason its qualified.  The percentage of people who do that is not insignificant, which certainly leads to lower auction prices which leads other people to believe they're less valuable which leads even more people to ignore them outright which leads to even lower auction prices etc etc ad nauseum you get the point.

And even then, if you actually want the book and don't mind the qualification, you will still use any or all of the talking points to negotiate the price lower, further diminishing the green label values.

hm some might say that’s an opportunity 

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

For qualified books due to a signature, sure, but not for the ones with a defect. A 9.0 with major defect can never be worth as much as a 9.0 without the defect, so its not like your getting a deal by paying less for a qualified book. The green label is just so that you can have a higher number on the slab that reflects what the book looks like in a slab rather than have the actual grade incorporating the defect. And the market will treat it as such, so its basically ceteris paribus.

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

There's always the option to resubmit the book and ask for a blue label.  May work out for you depending on the reason for the green label. 

From what I gather, the person has already lost money due to having spent more for the book than what it will be assessed to be worth. They then spent more money getting it graded a first time. I would suggest cutting one's losses here instead of spending more money to get a blue label, since the person attested to this being a rather low grade book to begin with.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

From what I gather, the person has already lost money due to having spent more for the book than what it will be assessed to be worth. They then spent more money getting it graded a first time. I would suggest cutting one's losses here instead of spending more money to get a blue label, since the person attested to this being a rather low grade book to begin with.

Yes, this is a good assessment.  A couple things:

1) I originally got the copy of FF #52 in question for about 70% of FMV (of a complete book) via an ebay auction.  My intention is to sell it now (complete with GLOD) when I get it back.  When all is said and done, I would guess that I'll end up at about an $80 to $100 loss.  It's this amount that I intend to request back from the original seller, given that he didn't disclose all the problems with the book.  Or he can give me a complete refund.

2) I've since bought a second UNIVERSAL CERTIFIED copy of FF 52 at 4.5, which will stay in my collection.

Lesson learned -- while it's nice to find keys in the raw for a good price, unless you can physically look through the book, sometimes going the already-slabbed route is better.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

For qualified books due to a signature, sure, but not for the ones with a defect. A 9.0 with major defect can never be worth as much as a 9.0 without the defect, so its not like your getting a deal by paying less for a qualified book. The green label is just so that you can have a higher number on the slab that reflects what the book looks like in a slab rather than have the actual grade incorporating the defect. And the market will treat it as such, so its basically ceteris paribus.

I know what qualified represents... And what I was getting at, is that it very much depends on your collecting goals. Wasn’t speaking form an investment standpoint.

9 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Certainly it IS an opportunity, assuming that all is above-board when the sale is made.  I don't begrudge anyone looking for GLOD's or low-grade copies to complete their collection, if that's what they can afford.  But tht's not my situation:

1) I don't want green labels in my collection, unless its on an FF #1 

2) I can afford an FF #52 in mid-grade

3) Despite extensive pictures in the eBay auction page, there was NOTHING to indicate that the book was incomplete.  Had I know this, or if it had already been affixed with a GLOD, I would NOT have made the purchase.

So in other words, this was NOT an above-board sale, and I freely admit that it could be due to an honest mistake on the part of the seller.  But that doesn't free him of an obligation to make things right, now that the defect has been discovered.

Edited by RonS2112

13 hours ago, revat said:

exactly.. even if its a unwitnessed signature that gave the 9.8 a green label.. the green label stigma is that its a lower price because of a green label where in this specific case it should be near the same as a blue, but buyer uses the green label argument to negotiate a lower price.