• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What causes a book to get GLOD?
1 1

66 posts in this topic

All:

Recently bought a copy of Fantastic Four 52 and submitted to be slabbed.  Just saw that it was finally scheduled for grading, but as a "qualified" book.  Now trying to figure out why the "qualified" rating.....?

I don't have pix handy, but I assessed the book at about a 3.5, with all the flaws one might associate with a book in that grade.  There is a piece of tape on the back cover, along the spine/lower staple area, about 2.5 inches long.  The cover appears to be held on fine without the tape, but the tape COULD be reinforcing a small tear near the staple area.  Could this be the reason for the green label as opposed to a universal label?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.  (I realize that CGC will eventually post notes detailing the exact reason for the green label, but I'm trying to get a jump on that.)

7 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There is no "GLOD" (Green Label of Death?).

Normally, a comic book will receive Qualified for being incomplete without affecting story, or an unwitnessed signature.

A "qualified" rating == a green label, no?

I don't think this book is incomplete, nor does it have a signature.  Anything else that would earn the qualified rating?

Just now, RonS2112 said:

A "qualified" rating == a green label, no?

I don't think this book is incomplete, nor does it have a signature.  Anything else that would earn the qualified rating?

Qualified labels aren't usually killers, though - mostly using in-demand books as a reference. People don't really 'look down' upon them.

Are there any missing chunks that don't affect story on the interior?

1 minute ago, Aaron Hollander said:

Yes the book can get a green label if the book has a significant defect that needs a specific description. That is stated on the cgc site as well. I know i don’t have a lot of posts but I do have a fair amount of experience with cgc. 

Post counts don't matter. Your post is informational. Thank you. (thumbsu

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Qualified labels aren't usually killers, though - mostly using in-demand books as a reference. People don't really 'look down' upon them.

Are there any missing chunks that don't affect story on the interior?

Thanks.....I appreciate the input.

I did see that CGC uses a blue/green "conserved" label for things such as tape, which provide structural reinforcement.  The piece of tape on my book could definitely be described that way.  Is this "conserved label" still a thing?

2 minutes ago, FiveForFighting said:

Of course there is silly, it's been a term for almost 20 years.

There are other reasons too. Basically if there's one big flaw that ruins an otherwise beautiful copy you get a GLOD.

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

I have never heard "GLOD" in the 5-or-so years I have been collecting. That's just my experience.

3 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Thanks.....I appreciate the input.

I did see that CGC uses a blue/green "conserved" label for things such as tape, which provide structural reinforcement.  The piece of tape on my book could definitely be described that way.  Is this "conserved label" still a thing?

Yes, as mentioned above.

I think that the conservation label is applied to actually conserved comics, though. Like using preservative methods rather than Scotch tape, etc.

26 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

All:

Recently bought a copy of Fantastic Four 52 and submitted to be slabbed.  Just saw that it was finally scheduled for grading, but as a "qualified" book.  Now trying to figure out why the "qualified" rating.....?

I don't have pix handy, but I assessed the book at about a 3.5, with all the flaws one might associate with a book in that grade.  There is a piece of tape on the back cover, along the spine/lower staple area, about 2.5 inches long.  The cover appears to be held on fine without the tape, but the tape COULD be reinforcing a small tear near the staple area.  Could this be the reason for the green label as opposed to a universal label?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.  (I realize that CGC will eventually post notes detailing the exact reason for the green label, but I'm trying to get a jump on that.)

You mention flaws on the outside, did you check inside the book?

You should call CGC directly and ask them about it.

1 minute ago, Avi said:

You mention flaws on the outside, did you check inside the book?

You should call CGC directly and ask them about it.

Yes, I did look through the book, and it was complete.....unless there was an ad page or something that was cut out with surgical precision, such that I couldn't tell anything was amiss.  But I don't think this is the case.

Appreciate the feedback.  I may give them a call.

1 minute ago, RonS2112 said:

Yes, I did look through the book, and it was complete.....unless there was an ad page or something that was cut out with surgical precision, such that I couldn't tell anything was amiss.  But I don't think this is the case.

Appreciate the feedback.  I may give them a call.

Please report back once you call.

3 minutes ago, FiveForFighting said:

Argh, then you didn't count the pages. Always count the pages!!!

Yeah......lesson learned, I guess -- if that turns out to be the case.  I got really lucky on an auction an got the book for well under FMV.  Looks like I may end up breaking even.

10 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Called CGC.....the rep was very nice, but couldn't offer any more insight, as the book is being slabbed now.  So I'll know in a day or two.

Now I've got to decide if I circle back with the seller......

I'd certainly discuss this with the seller.  In most cases a green label 3.0 will sell for a fraction of what a blue label will bring.  Most slab collectors are addicted to blue labels.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There is no "GLOD" (Green Label of Death?).

Normally, a comic book will receive Qualified for being incomplete without affecting story, or an unwitnessed signature.

I dunno I saw a few Facebook groups and IG ones saying eww GLOD's lol guess they are trying to make a new term for qualified labels.... :facepalm: