• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sweet Christmas! Hero for Hire #1 Cover art up at Heritage!
2 2

36 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It doesn't. That's my point. 

If your point is that Millennials can keep the upper end of '90s art elevated for quite some time, you won't get any argument from me. But that doesn't really have much to do with the bigger picture. 

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

If your point is that Millennials can keep the upper end of '90s art elevated for quite some time, you won't get any argument from me. But that doesn't really have much to do with the bigger picture. 

Boomers are perfectly fine with propping up the upper end of Golden Age art that came out either before they were born or before they could read. I see no reason why a wealthy  Millennial OA collector would not be willing to pay top dollar for a Ditko Spidey page to hang along side their McFarlane cover. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

21 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Boomers are perfectly fine with propping up the upper end of Golden Age art that came out either before they were born or before they could read. I see I reason why a wealthy a Millennial OA collector would not be willing to pay top dollar for a Ditko Spidey page to hang along side their McFarlane cover. 

Where are all the Millennial Ditko Spidey OA collectors? (shrug)  Empirically, we see Millennials gravitating towards McFarlane and Bagley, not Ditko, Romita, Kane, Andru, etc., much as we see them pursuing Lee, Capullo, Murphy, Jock, etc. when it comes to Batman OA instead of Adams, Rogers, etc. (the farthest they'll go back seems to be late-era Aparo, Miller and Bolland from the mid-to-late '80s) .  

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that nostalgia = only the things that came out when you were of reading age and after.  Things from the past can stay relevant by their maintaining enough popularity to be passed down to later generations (which explains why I love Casablanca, Sean Connery James Bond films, Aston Martin DB5s and Mercedes 300SL Gullwings, Bronze Age comic books, etc.)  In comics (and trading cards), oftentimes knowledge and wisdom would be passed down to other generations back in the day of fanzines, LCS's that specialized in back issues, reprints, conventions, etc.  But, the traditional transmission methods for passing along nostalgia are both simply no longer there or not as effective as they used to be, while there is a far more intense competition for mindshare than there used to be (both within the hobby/medium, as every year that passes adds more cumulative content to the total, as well as from other content, whose volume has increased parabolically/exponentially/vertically over the past 25 years). 

Edited by delekkerste

I can see a reason why not. The hypothetical well-heeled Millenial might rather have another McFarlane cover?
Unless they are just ticking off boxes for stuff they know is all historical n stuff, so they can show their friends how into that old timey comic history they are?

"Check out my Comic Buyer's Guide collection. It's all on -yellow paper, like newspapers used to be." Pulls up newspaper photo on Wikipedia to show younger friend what a newspaper is.

Plus it'll be cheaper when we die.

Edited by ESeffinga

7 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Wonder if the red linework will turn some folks off.

(oh, be honest, collectors are weird)

Any pics of the back?

:grin:

It has a bit of a sparse/unfinished vibe to it by virtue of the redlines and the montage nature of the piece (and missing the trade dress - the consignor really should have had those recreated, IMO).  It should still do well though.

Rule #1 of the current OA bull market:  nobody gets a deal on the good stuff. 

23 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Where are all the Millennial Ditko Spidey OA collectors? (shrug)  Empirically, we see Millennials gravitating towards McFarlane and Bagley, not Ditko, Romita, Kane, Andru, etc., much as we see them pursuing Lee, Capullo, Murphy, Jock, etc. when it comes to Batman OA instead of Adams, Rogers, etc. (the farthest they'll go back seems to be late-era Aparo, Miller and Bolland from the mid-to-late '80s) .  

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that nostalgia = only the things that came out when you were of reading age and after.  Things from the past can stay relevant by their maintaining enough popularity to be passed down to later generations (which explains why I love Casablanca, Sean Connery James Bond films, Aston Martin DB5s and Mercedes 300SL Gullwings, Bronze Age comic books, etc.)  In comics (and trading cards), oftentimes knowledge and wisdom would be passed down to other generations back in the day of fanzines, LCS's that specialized in back issues, reprints, conventions, etc.  But, the traditional transmission methods for passing along nostalgia are both simply no longer there or not as effective as they used to be, while there is a far more intense competition for mindshare than there used to be (both within the hobby/medium, as every year that passes adds more cumulative content to the total, as well as from other content, whose volume has increased parabolically/exponentially/vertically over the past 25 years). 

Let Millennial collectors satiate themselves on McFarlane, Larsen& Bagley for a while. The ones who can afford it will in many cases turn to Ditko eventually. I’m not sure about Romita. 

4 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Let Millennial collectors satiate themselves on McFarlane, Larsen& Bagley for a while. The ones who can afford it will in many cases turn to Ditko eventually. I’m not sure about Romita. 

You're breaking Mike Burkey's heart! 

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

-- don't fall into the trap of thinking that nostalgia = only the things that came out when you were of reading age and after.  Things from the past can stay relevant by their maintaining enough popularity to be passed down to later generations (which explains why I love Casablanca, Sean Connery James Bond films, Aston Martin DB5s and Mercedes 300SL Gullwings, Bronze Age comic books, etc.)  In comics (and trading cards), oftentimes knowledge and wisdom would be passed down to other generations back in the day of fanzines, LCS's that specialized in back issues, reprints, conventions, etc.  But, the traditional transmission methods for passing along nostalgia are both simply no longer there or not as effective as they used to be, while there is a far more intense competition for mindshare than there used to be (both within the hobby/medium, as every year that passes adds more cumulative content to the total, as well as from other content, whose volume has increased parabolically/exponentially/vertically over the past 25 years). 

What he said.

Please excuse me, those for whom this is painfully, incredibly obvious......

NOSTALGIA is about the time you FIRST EXPERIENCED a thing -- NOT about the time that thing was created!

If you are a kid into superheroes today you will see, in a comics shop, on the interwebs, and on merchandise, many comics covers printed long before you were born.  You will be more likely to recognize Action Comics #1 from 1938 than most comics fans who were actually of reading age in 1938.   Hel, you will be be more likely to recognize it than virtually any comics fans who came before you, because you're seeing it in reprints, comic shops, on the interwebs and t-shirts and all sorts of merchandise,   And Action 1 is just used as the earliest example.   The same applies to covers to (and certain drawings from) many other books published decades before you were born.   A few months back, my son and his friends were talking about a sequence from "The Killing Joke" which they had read with no prompting from me (I hadn't read it when it was published).  It was published several decades before they were born.     

There was a phrase briefly used by a network in the marketing of repeat episodes.   The announcer pitched the reruns as "new to you."   The same is true with all forms of popular entertainment.  When kids read or see something they like, it creates a happy memory that can lead to later nostalgia for the time they discovered it.  Makes no difference to them whether it was created that month or 70 years before they were born.  

Edited by bluechip

12 hours ago, delekkerste said:

You're breaking Mike Burkey's heart! 

Its all good..The comment above makes me feel like i'm back in 1989-1995 or so with being the ONLY guy in the hobby actively collecting that JOHN ROMITA guy who has zero style andonly draws..... "THE MARVEL WAY"   I loved hearing that back then as i ceremoniously bought all of his art I could afford! :)

Edited by romitaman

14 hours ago, delekkerste said:

this needs to be your sig line, it will save you having to type it over and over and over again in some form or fashion to snap people back to reality. (thumbsu

4 hours ago, romitaman said:

Its all good..The comment above makes me feel like i'm back in 1989-1995 or so with being the ONLY guy in the hobby actively collecting that JOHN ROMITA guy who has zero style andonly draws..... "THE MARVEL WAY"   I loved hearing that back then as i ceremoniously bought all of his art I could afford! :)

I’m glad JR is getting some recognition during his lifetime. But I don’t think most of his Spidey art is going to stay at the level it’s at right now when his biggest admirers and collectors, such as yourself, are no longer on the scene. The key stuff and covers, yes. But the run of the mill panel pages, no.