• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netlfix's THE WITCHER: NIGHTMARE OF THE WOLF Anime (TBD)
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Netflix Announces The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf

The world of Netflix's The Witcher is about to get even bigger! Netflix today has announced a new anime film set in the world of the Witcher called The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. Very few details have been revealed at this point, but the showrunner from the live-action series, Lauren S. Hissrich, is attached.

In addition to Hissrich, Netflix announced that Beau DeMayo, who penned an episode of the live-action series for Netflix, is also working on the project. As for who, exactly, will animate the film, that's the legendary animation studio Studio Mir. Studio Mir, if you're not familiar, is known for work on The Legend of Korra in addition to Voltron: Legendary Defender for Netflix.

At this point, no other information is known about The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. That includes, but is not limited to, what it might actually look like, whether Cavill and crew will reprise their roles, and when it will release. One imagines that the Netflix deal means Cavill will return as Geralt, but time will tell.

Edited by Bosco685

In “The Witcher,” one of Netflix’s most popular original series to date, Henry Cavil plays Geralt of Rivera, the outcast monster hunter who is loathed by most he comes across and willing to do dangerous and unsavory work for pay, earning himself a guarded admiration from some he’s helped. But, before Geralt came Vesemir, a headstrong young witcher who relishes his job and the earthly benefits he reaps in doing what others can’t or won’t. Seemingly unshakable, Vesemir will face a crisis of conscious when a new power threatens the Continent, forcing him to reevaluate why he does the work he does.

Lauren Schmidt Hissrich (“Defenders,” “Daredevil”), creator, showrunner and executive producer of Netflix’s live action “The Witcher” series, will also showrun and co-executive produce its animated spinoff with Kwang Il Han (“The Boondocks,” “The Last Airbender”) in the directors’ chair. Original series writer Beau DeMayo penned the scripts and Korean company Studio Mir is handling animation production.

Specific plot details were limited during the presentation, but Hissrich, DeMayo and Il Han did discuss their more general narrative ambitions for the show, as well as the influences that are shaping the look and feel of “Nightmare of the Wolf.”

“There are things I wanted to know about, what it takes to become a witcher, how Geralt became a witcher, where his journey started and who was important to him,” Hissrich explained of her ambitions for the show.

Rating: 5 out of 5

The Witcher franchise is growing by leaps and bounds, and after a long wait, fans can finally see the latest addition to the canon in Netflix's new anime film The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf. Nightmare brings Geralt's mentor Vesemir into the spotlight, giving fans a look at the fan-favorite Witcher in his prime and shedding new light on foundational events in the Witcher mythology that were still a bit shrouded in mystery. The result is a thrilling ride through Witcher history full of style, pulse-pounding action, and often brutal choices that no Witcher fan dare miss, and I couldn't recommend it more.

Honestly, I really don't have any issues with Nightmare, even of the nitpicky kind. I just want more, and I mean more of everything. More monsters, more of Vesemir's adventures, and more of what happens in between this time and when we first meet Geralt in the main series. That's not a list of nitpicks, that's a sequel, and you can sign me up for that right now.

If you've been wondering what The Witcher is all about, this is a lovely introduction to the world of Sapkowski's novels or the live-action series. If you're already a fan of The Witcher, this is an absolute must-watch, and I'm going to need more Vesemir in my life ASAP.

The Witcher's anime is in business, and it promises to slap hard for fans of the fantasy series. For those who don't know, the anime film went live on Netflix today at last, so you can watch it globally as long as you are subscribed.

If you are unaware of The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf, the anime serves as a prequel to the live-action series starring Henry Cavill. This new title focuses on Vesemir as the old Witcher served as Geralt's mentor and father figure in the mainline series. Netflix uses this new show to explore Vesemir's past and his journey to becoming a top-tier Witcher.

On 8/24/2021 at 7:53 AM, I like pie said:

I'm not a big Witcher fan. Never played the game. I saw the show and it was decent but this was fantastic. I hope they do more.

So much backstory revealed in under 2 hours. And yet I could follow it all, and not get lost in the details.

:whee: