• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there any value difference in these two books?

23 posts in this topic

Was digging through boxes I never look at out in the garage today and found these. Fun surprises in those boxes. Stuff I bought new to read and just stored. A lot of now “hot” books are in them I guess.

I don’t know why one has a UPC code and one doesn’t. (Sorry, I am mostly a GA/SA guy). Any way, is there a value difference between the two?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

86F4E475-3C7B-4604-8122-4FD497F27F78.jpeg

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Was digging through boxes I never look at out in the garage today and found these. Fun surprises in those boxes. Stuff I bought new to read and just stored. A lot of now “hot” books are in them I guess.

I don’t know why one has a UPC code and one doesn’t. (Sorry, I am mostly a GA/SA guy). Any way, is there a value difference between the two?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

86F4E475-3C7B-4604-8122-4FD497F27F78.jpeg

All sales considered, throw out the highs and lows and there's no discernable pattern of one version outselling the other. Now, if you have a 55 cent variation, now 'yer talking! :whee:  :tonofbricks:

3 hours ago, NoMan said:
3 hours ago, Senormac said:

The bar code is sooo ugly.  If the choice was before me, I'd pick the direct edition .  

I’m opposite. I love me some newsstand barcode!

Barcodes make comics look like they belong together, that they somehow survived the horrors of a grocery store or drug store spinner rack.

6newsstands.png

Art in the barcode box says "this book was printed to go to a comic shop and get bagged and boarded and coddled and we know that most of you don't even bother to read them, so here's more art on the front cover for all you non-reading condition-sensitive collectasauruses". :sumo:

6direct.png

I see people put a premium and ask a bit more if its a newsstand edition comic in the same grade as compared to a direct edition... so there's that. 

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

P.S. Canadian newsstands say "oh, sorry, eh, our coins have a queen on 'em, so you're gonna need to hand over a few extra if ya wanna take that comic book to yer hoose."

check the back too for a deal on maple syrup.. they always got some coupon for that golden gooey stuff... lol maybe a hockey stick deal as well once in awhile.. 

* later on it probably turned to loonies and toonies.. 

For that issue there is no difference in cost.  You have to get much later for people to be actively seeking out newsstand copies which bumps up some of the prices for the barcode copies.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Barcodes make comics look like they belong together, that they somehow survived the horrors of a grocery store or drug store spinner rack.

6newsstands.png

Art in the barcode box says "this book was printed to go to a comic shop and get bagged and boarded and coddled and we know that most of you don't even bother to read them, so here's more art on the front cover for all you non-reading condition-sensitive collectasauruses". :sumo:

6direct.png

yup.

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

I see people put a premium and ask a bit more if its a newsstand edition comic in the same grade as compared to a direct edition... so there's that. 

I see that some folks do that and I don't know about all that, just sayen' I love the fantasy that the book went out in the real world and returned.