• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

I thought it was illegal to make race, gender or sexual orientation a hiring factor.

Personally, I don't care who they hire for the movie.

Edited by D84

29 minutes ago, D84 said:

I thought it was illegal to make race, gender or sexual orientation a hiring factor.

Personally, I don't care who they hire for the movie.

I think its sorta a gray area. You aren't supposed to, but you would look bad if you actually sued or made a fuss about not getting a job because you aren't female.

They probably shouldn't actually say it outloud (if they ever truly did), I think everyone assumed the director would have to be a woman anyway no need to out right say it and risk anything legally.

Edited by zhamlau

10 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I think its sorta a gray area. You aren't supposed to, but you would look bad if you actually sued or made a fuss about not getting a job because you aren't female.

They probably shouldn't actually say it outloud (if they ever truly did), I think everyone assumed the director would have to be a woman anyway no need to out right say it and risk anything legally.

Disney/ Marvel Studios never “announced” they are hiring a female director for CM. This The Hollywood Reporter story is from “sources”, not an official announcement from Marvel Studios. The source said Marvel “hopes” to find a female director. Marvel had no comment. THR is a reliable industry news outlet so the story should be factual. 

1 minute ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Shouldn't be difficult to do considering how low they set the bar with the first one.

You just need to see it a few more times as part of the re-release campaign. With the special deleted scenes where Goose turns out to be a Skrull the entire time. And not just any Skrull. She is the Super-Skrull.

:popcorn:

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You just need to see it a few more times as part of the re-release campaign. With the special deleted scenes where Goose turns out to be a Skrull the entire time. And not just any Skrull. She is the Super-Skrull.

:popcorn:

:sick:

I skipped it during the pre-Endgame marathon (also skipped The Incredible Hulk).

9 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would think that Nick Fury is basically a guarantee, unless that Far From Home credit scene is expected to setup something else.

She-Hulk? Maybe, since the MCU is on a woke path. Just cram all the girls together amirite?

Professor Hulk should probably just retire with that useless arm. He doesn't wanna fight, obviously.

They need to actually develop Captain Marvel into a likeable character. Any sort of ensemble for her sequel will basically be Marvel admitting that she can't carry her own film, and detract from trying to make her into something more.

Hulk and She-Hulk were just examples off the top of my head. Maybe we’ll even see Ant-Man and T’Challa. Look, I know you don’t consider Captain Marvel an Avenger for some reason, but she is. Like Hawkeye said in Age of Ultron, if you go out there and fight, you’re an Avenger. The way I see it, there’s a BS team sanctioned by the U.S. Government via the Segovia Accords and then there’s the true Avengers. In Endgame, every hero who fought alongside Captain America against Thanos and his army was an Avenger that day.  

Captain Marvel is an Avenger. She’s just not sanctioned by that a-*hole Thunderbolt Ross. Let him have his own team like I don’t know the Thunderbolts or something.

With that, I’m betting the bank that Captain Marvel 2 is where we’ll see the beginnings of the new Avengers with Carol as it’s leader. I’m also sure we’ll get more character development of Carol At the same time. And it’s okay for a solo movie to be an ensemble movie. Each Spider-Man movie has basically been a Marvel Team-Up movie. Iron Man 2 and Winter Soldier were more like SHIELD movies. Civil War was basically the Avengers. Ragnarok was nearly a classic Defenders movie. These movies are more fun when they’re team-up movies. 

As far as making her more likable, well I loved Brie Larson’s Carol Danvers and so did a lot of other people. Maybe this new movie will give you something more to like. It’ll probably be a little more serious than the last movie. We’ll see.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As far as making her more likable, well I loved Brie Larson’s Carol Danvers and so did a lot of other people. Maybe this new movie will give you something more to like. It’ll probably be a little more serious than the last movie. We’ll see.

What a change in the discussion. :applause:

emotion03.gif.d64555cfbe1ecf5e7f5978700f7d400c.gif

I do hope they make it much more intense and action-packed. Especially with the whole intergalactic and wider Marvel Universe out there. Including maybe one day happening across the One-Above-All.

11 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Up until Black Panther, all MCU films have starred a white male/males, so Marvel hired all white male directors.

I think it's idiotic to specifically try to hire *only* women to direct female-centric films, etc. 

But - point of order:

Marvel hired Patty Jenkins to direct Thor: The Dark World. She then dropped out.

And Marvel did hire Lexi Alexander to direct Punisher War Zone.

I liked the Captain Marvel movie and thought it was cool, but than I was born in Moscow, Russia so to us women are very tough like men. No difference how tough you are when you have to wait in lines for hours for medicine, food or toilet paper. I guess this is a American thing when a woman like Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman show strength some American men get upset? ha ha. In my country we don't care because a lot of us were raised by our strong mothers because our fathers had to travel thousands of miles to find work.

Edited by RUSSIAN BEAR

8 hours ago, RUSSIAN BEAR said:

I liked the Captain Marvel movie and thought it was cool, but than I was born in Moscow, Russia so to us women are very tough like men. No difference how tough you are when you have to wait in lines for hours for medicine, food or toilet paper. I guess this is a American thing when a woman like Captain Marvel or Wonder Woman show strength some American men get upset? ha ha. In my country we don't care because a lot of us were raised by our strong mothers because our fathers had to travel thousands of miles to find work.

I wouldn't get caught up in the noise of some proclaiming 'sexism' like it is the latest candy treat to chomp on. It is about how the first Captain Marvel film delivered the character.

Though it is fun when folks call out Wonder Woman's third act like a rally cry how it ruined the entire film. Like some cinema crime had been committed.

12 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Hulk and She-Hulk were just examples off the top of my head. Maybe we’ll even see Ant-Man and T’Challa. Look, I know you don’t consider Captain Marvel an Avenger for some reason, but she is. Like Hawkeye said in Age of Ultron, if you go out there and fight, you’re an Avenger. The way I see it, there’s a BS team sanctioned by the U.S. Government via the Segovia Accords and then there’s the true Avengers. In Endgame, every hero who fought alongside Captain America against Thanos and his army was an Avenger that day.  

Captain Marvel is an Avenger. She’s just not sanctioned by that a-*hole Thunderbolt Ross. Let him have his own team like I don’t know the Thunderbolts or something.

With that, I’m betting the bank that Captain Marvel 2 is where we’ll see the beginnings of the new Avengers with Carol as it’s leader. I’m also sure we’ll get more character development of Carol At the same time. And it’s okay for a solo movie to be an ensemble movie. Each Spider-Man movie has basically been a Marvel Team-Up movie. Iron Man 2 and Winter Soldier were more like SHIELD movies. Civil War was basically the Avengers. Ragnarok was nearly a classic Defenders movie. These movies are more fun when they’re team-up movies. 

It has nothing to do with "consideration". She was never an Avenger. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

You can't spell SOKOVIA? I'm not even reading the rest after that. OMG. Some MCU "fan". :facepalm:

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It has nothing to do with "consideration". She was never an Avenger. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

You can't spell SOKOVIA? I'm not even reading the rest after that. OMG. Some MCU "fan". :facepalm:

I know how to spell Sokovia, I've seen the movies. It was funny to myself to write Segovia as if the Ultron battle took place in a town in Spain, instead. Anyway...

Captain Marvel is an Avenger. She became an Avenger when she showed up at Avengers HQ responding to Nick Fury's official call and fought alongside the remaining Avengers when they sought out Thanos on his retirement home planet in Endgame. Five Years Later in the movie, Carol, Rocket, Nebula, Okoye, and James Rhodes are taking orders from Natasha at Avengers HQ. They were active Avengers. Stark and Rogers, on the other hand, were not active Avengers, but still Avengers. And the Sokovia Accords didn't matter at that point. The Accords were dead. Ross was most likely dead. Everything changed after Thanos' snap.

Carol Danvers was and is an Avenger. She also inspired their name.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I know how to spell Sokovia, I've seen the movies. It was funny to myself to write Segovia as if the Ultron battle took place in a town in Spain, instead. Anyway...

Captain Marvel is an Avenger. She became an Avenger when she showed up at Avengers HQ responding to Nick Fury's official call and fought alongside the remaining Avengers when they sought out Thanos on his retirement home planet in Endgame. Five Years Later in the movie, Carol, Rocket, Nebula, Okoye, and James Rhodes are taking orders from Natasha at Avengers HQ. They were active Avengers. Stark and Rogers, on the other hand, were not active Avengers, but still Avengers. And the Sokovia Accords didn't matter at that point. The Accords were dead. Ross was most likely dead. Everything changed after Thanos' snap.

Carol Danvers was and is an Avenger. She also inspired their name.

Captain Marvel is not an Avenger.