• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Except that context matters.

She's C-list in the MCU.

Carol Danvers was B+/C- list in the comics for a long time until Marvel wised up and realized they needed their own version of Wonder Woman, a major female hero who doesn’t need a team but who can play with the Avengers. But a character with their own MCU solo movie is not MCU C-list. Yes, Danvers still needs to earn her stripes a bit with the Avengers universe. Endgame wasn’t enough.
Standby for lift-off...

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Carol Danvers was B+/C- list in the comics for a long time until Marvel wised up and realized they needed their own version of Wonder Woman, a major female hero who doesn’t need a team but who can play with the Avengers. But a character with their own MCU solo movie is not MCU C-list. Yes, Danvers still needs to earn her stripes a bit with the Avengers universe. Endgame wasn’t enough.
Standby for lift-off...

Captain Marvel is a C-list character in both the comics and the MCU. That hasn't changed with 2 appearances.

Her solo movie would've been trash without Fury and Goose.

Actress can allegedly be a "superstar" all she wants (oh, and she definitely fancies herself this). The character she portrays, and the way she portrays her, is in-line with the character's popularity.

21 minutes ago, Grails said:

I think I’m more excited for Blade than any other MCU movie at this point. Even if they don’t make it with an R rating. 

Why is that? Just curious. There's no trailer, leaked story idea, or anything. It will probably be a departure for the MCU as it forays into horror, most likely. Is that why one would be excited? Is it because of the actor? Or you just liked the old Wesley Snipes film series and want more of that? Just like Blade the character over anybody else?

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Why is that? Just curious. There's no trailer, leaked story idea, or anything. It will probably be a departure for the MCU as it forays into horror, most likely. Is that why one would be excited? Is it because of the actor? Or you just liked the old Wesley Snipes film series and want more of that? Just like Blade the character over anybody else?

You nailed several reasons. Ali is a phenomenal actor. Perfect fanboy casting. I loved the first Blade movie with Snipes as well. The rest, not so much. But he set the bar high. And the character was co-created by Gene Colan, a favorite artist of mine and friend. I really hope it’s not the standard Marvel fare. I don’t care if it doesn’t connect into the MCU. I would prefer it didn’t as this needs a mold of its own.

24 minutes ago, Grails said:

You nailed several reasons. Ali is a phenomenal actor. Perfect fanboy casting. I loved the first Blade movie with Snipes as well. The rest, not so much. But he set the bar high. And the character was co-created by Gene Colan, a favorite artist of mine and friend. I really hope it’s not the standard Marvel fare. I don’t care if it doesn’t connect into the MCU. I would prefer it didn’t as this needs a mold of its own.

Well Blade will definitely be part of the larger MCU. He already regularly appears in the current Avengers comic. 

Now that we have a release date, the big question is how much will the poor souls that bought MSH #13 at the peak gain back after taking some horrific losses the past two years? I don't see it revisiting the highs (e.g. $10K+ for CGC 9.4s), but hopefully they get some of the drop back. :wishluck:

Edited by kimik

On 4/4/2020 at 9:45 PM, kimik said:

Now that we have a release date, the big question is how much will the poor souls that bought MSH #13 at the peak gain back after taking some horrific losses the past two years? I don't see it revisiting the highs (e.g. $10K+ for CGC 9.4s), but hopefully they get some of the drop back. :wishluck:

I think so. I know so.

I read on some stupid comic book pricing speculation website somewhere recently that they think MSH #13 is going away because they think the first Captain Marvel movie was a failure somehow (it made over a billion) and that the character will slowly go away in the movies. That's preposterous, because Captain Marvel is now Marvel's Wonder Woman and she is poised to be at the forefront of the MCU and Marvel for at least the next decade.

And hopefully some of her key books get some of their value back as a result.

Am I the only one that thinks this movie was THE WORST that Marvel has ever issued?

Brie's "acting" smelled more like limburger - she was as wooden as a plank.  Even Samuel L couldn't save this putrid mess - he looked as if he didn't want to be there.  The botching of the Skrull characters was absolutely criminal.

I only went to this movie for MCU background and that's all I got out of it - I found out about Nick's eye!!!

I don't care if it did a trillion in business - it was a mess.

I may not have a dental appointment on the sequel's opening day but I won't need an excuse to avoid it like the plague.  

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Am I the only one that thinks this movie was THE WORST that Marvel has ever issued?

Brie's "acting" smelled more like limburger - she was as wooden as a plank.  Even Samuel L couldn't save this putrid mess - he looked as if he didn't want to be there.  The botching of the Skull characters was absolutely criminal.

I only went to this movie for MCU background and that's all I got out of it - I found out about Nick's eye!!!

I don't care if it did a trillion in business - it was a mess.

I may not have a dental appointment on the sequel's opening day but I won't need an excuse to avoid it like the plague.  

Believe me, you aren't the only "40 year old white dude" around here who hated on this movie long before the movie was even released and grudgingly went into it only because of the Infinity War tie-in but also went in with hate in your heart for Brie Larson. You're definitely not alone in this forum.

What's hilarious is to say that, if you're an MCU fan, that you're actually going to boycott Captain Marvel 2 (just as you said you would with the first CM but saw it anyway) but you'll end up bringing the whole family when Disney forces your hand because Captain Marvel 2 will essentially be the next Avengers team movie.