• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Believe me, you aren't the only "40 year old white dude" around here who hated on this movie long before the movie was even released and grudgingly went into it only because of the Infinity War tie-in but also went in with hate in your heart for Brie Larson. You're definitely not alone in this forum.

What's hilarious is to say that, if you're an MCU fan, that you're actually going to boycott Captain Marvel 2 (just as you said you would with the first CM but saw it anyway) but you'll end up bringing the whole family when Disney forces your hand because Captain Marvel 2 will essentially be the next Avengers team movie.

Are you really that convinced this was the only portion of the audience not satisfied with Captain Marvel? What about the fact it did not experience the huge uptick in female attendance, but rather was more of the same male-heavy MCU audience?

Based on MPAA's ticket sales tracking, Captain Marvel was 57% males to 43% females, unlike Wonder Woman's 52% females to 48% males. There's something to be said there about who connected with Captain Marvel.

DC_MCU_demo.png.bf3db0c8a13ef9a3e7f78b63c132b81f.png

Oh, sorry. I short-changed you on some additional facts. The ethnicity of the audience was fairly consistent as well. If not higher on the Caucasian attendance, domestically. 

DC_MCU_demo2.thumb.png.8a0b645c4bedcd95bf6b00fdbeacfd96.png

Edited by Bosco685

56 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Believe me, you aren't the only "40 year old white dude" around here who hated on this movie long before the movie was even released and grudgingly went into it only because of the Infinity War tie-in but also went in with hate in your heart for Brie Larson.

This right here says a lot. 
There are a lot of movies I absolutely love that many here would consider garbage and I’m good with that. I would never presume that those that don’t enjoy what I do belong to a certain demographic or have an agenda because I don’t know them. The 40 year old white dude line is played out. I’m neither in my 40s nor white. I didn’t like the movie. My teenage daughters thought it was ok. If you love this movie, cool, but allow others to have opinions without labeling them.

Clicked on thread for the first time today to see if it's the sheet show I assumed it would be, and yep, it's exactly the sheet show I assumed it would be.  :fear:

21 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Clicked on thread for the first time today to see if it's the sheet show I assumed it would be, and yep, it's exactly the sheet show I assumed it would be.  :fear:

Right? And not an actor height debate anywhere.

:baiting:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Are you really that convinced this was the only portion of the audience not satisfied with Captain Marvel? What about the fact it did not experience the huge uptick in female attendance, but rather was more of the same male-heavy MCU audience?

Based on MPAA's ticket sales tracking, Captain Marvel was 57% males to 43% females, unlike Wonder Woman's 52% females to 48% males. There's something to be said there about who connected with Captain Marvel.

DC_MCU_demo.png.bf3db0c8a13ef9a3e7f78b63c132b81f.png

Oh, sorry. I short-changed you on some additional facts. The ethnicity of the audience was fairly consistent as well. If not higher on the Caucasian attendance, domestically. 

DC_MCU_demo2.thumb.png.8a0b645c4bedcd95bf6b00fdbeacfd96.png

My "40 year old white dude" quote isn't meant to literally mean white males in their 40's, it's just poking fun at anybody who got triggered by Brie Larson's statement on diversity in National film writers circles, and could include hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, native Americans, black dudes, Kree, whatever, and does. And I don't believe I'm imagining the memories of last year's legion hate train for Captain Marvel before the movie was even released and that it was based on anti-SJW politics rather than the quality of the movie.

As for your above charts, I'm aware that the MCU fan base skews mostly male (as opposed to the DCEU fan base which is essentially non-existent in general audiences). Before Captain Marvel was released, many casual MCU fans, which includes a lot of females, had no idea who Captain Marvel was. I admit the character still has a little way to go before she becomes the instant household name that Wonder Woman is, who has 80 years of comics history and merchandising, a successful Superfriends cartoon, and a successful TV show starring Linda Carter to her resume prior to the new movie.

But Captain Marvel is Marvel's Wonder Woman now, and she'll be there soon.

3 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

My "40 year old white dude" quote isn't meant to literally mean white males in their 40's, it's just poking fun at anybody who got triggered by Brie Larson's statement on diversity in National film writers circles, and could include hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, native Americans, black dudes, Kree, whatever, and does. And I don't believe I'm imagining the memories of last year's legion hate train for Captain Marvel before the movie was even released and that it was based on anti-SJW politics rather than the quality of the movie.

As for your above charts, I'm aware that the MCU fan base skews mostly male (as opposed to the DCEU fan base which is essentially non-existent in general audiences). Before Captain Marvel was released, many casual MCU fans, which includes a lot of females, had no idea who Captain Marvel was. I admit the character still has a little way to go before she becomes the instant household name that Wonder Woman is, who has 80 years of comics history and merchandising, a successful Superfriends cartoon, and a successful TV show starring Linda Carter to her resume prior to the new movie.

But Captain Marvel is Marvel's Wonder Woman now, and she'll be there soon.

It must be non-existent general audiences that drove Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Joker to massive results? :baiting:

So you purposely mock 40 year old white dudes as a category when the less positive reactions could have been anyone that took offense to Brie Larson's statements? Interesting. I wonder if that would look acceptable or normal for someone to be posting on here about any race like this that was not Caucasian? Seems like repetitive posts like this are meant to instigate race issues versus sticking to the topic of films.

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

So you purposely mock 40 year old white dudes as a category when the less positive reactions could have been anyone that took offense to Brie Larson's statements? Interesting.

Well, yeah, but also it's a direct quote from Brie Larson's Crystal Awards speech which, though a little careless, was taken out of context and weaponized by the hordes of Hydra to show that Brie Larson aka the future Captain Marvel hated all men and wanted to create an Earth that resembled Princess Diana's home island and was also the daughter of Satan or something.

26 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It must be non-existent general audiences that drove Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Joker to massive results?

Yeah, it was a worldwide general audience (as well as comic book folks) who showed up to see Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Joker. It certainly wasn't driven by the non-existent DCEU movie fanbase created by the mega-successful(sarcasm) Justice League movie.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Believe me, you aren't the only "40 year old white dude" around here who hated on this movie long before the movie was even released and grudgingly went into it only because of the Infinity War tie-in but also went in with hate in your heart for Brie Larson. You're definitely not alone in this forum.

What's hilarious is to say that, if you're an MCU fan, that you're actually going to boycott Captain Marvel 2 (just as you said you would with the first CM but saw it anyway) but you'll end up bringing the whole family when Disney forces your hand because Captain Marvel 2 will essentially be the next Avengers team movie.

Wrong on 3 out of 4 counts:

1.  I am not a "40 year old white dude

2.  I did not hate this movie long before it was released.  How could I hate it if I'd never seen it?

3.  I did go to see it due to the Infinity War tie in.

4.  I honestly had no idea who Brie Larson was before this movie.

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I think so. I know so.

I read on some stupid comic book pricing speculation website somewhere recently that they think MSH #13 is going away because they think the first Captain Marvel movie was a failure somehow (it made over a billion) and that the character will slowly go away in the movies. That's preposterous, because Captain Marvel is now Marvel's Wonder Woman and she is poised to be at the forefront of the MCU and Marvel for at least the next decade.

And hopefully some of her key books get some of their value back as a result.

I sincerely hope that you're mistaken that "Captain Marvel is now... poised to be at the forefront of the MCU and Marvel for at least the next decade."

That's not giving Marvel much credit for forward thinking...

53 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yeah, it was a worldwide general audience (as well as comic book folks) who showed up to see Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Joker. It certainly wasn't driven by the non-existent DCEU movie fanbase created by the mega-successful(sarcasm) Justice League movie.

You should stick with your race-baiting and accusing people of being sexists. It fits your discussion style much more appropriately.

I’m fine with CM being at the lead as long as they never use the directors from her first outing. It takes a good director to command a good performance from the actor. I don’t blame Larson for the wooden portrayal. Those directors were going for something that just didn’t work for me. 

3 minutes ago, Grails said:

I’m fine with CM being at the lead as long as they never use the directors from her first outing. It takes a good director to command a good performance from the actor. I don’t blame Larson for the wooden portrayal. Those directors were going for something that just didn’t work for me. 

Which is most probably why the directors are being swapped out in Captain Marvel 2.

Brie Larson was solid in Scott Pilgrim and Kong: Skull Island. And even in Between Two Ferns. (:

32 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Wrong on 3 out of 4 counts:

1.  I am not a "40 year old white dude

2.  I did not hate this movie long before it was released.  How could I hate it if I'd never seen it?

3.  I did go to see it due to the Infinity War tie in.

4.  I honestly had no idea who Brie Larson was before this movie.

4 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Am I the only one that thinks this movie was THE WORST that Marvel has ever issued?

Brie's "acting" smelled more like limburger - she was as wooden as a plank.  Even Samuel L couldn't save this putrid mess - he looked as if he didn't want to be there.  The botching of the Skull characters was absolutely criminal.

I only went to this movie for MCU background and that's all I got out of it - I found out about Nick's eye!!!

I don't care if it did a trillion in business - it was a mess.

I may not have a dental appointment on the sequel's opening day but I won't need an excuse to avoid it like the plague.  

Okay, but your extra flowery descriptive language (ie "WORST ever" "smelled like limburger" "wooden" "putrid mess" "criminal" "a mess" "the plague") about Captain Marvel suggests otherwise, not the "40 year old white dude" part. I mean, I myself disagree with a lot of movies, but you seem to have an agenda here. 

Here's a rule of thumb. Marvel Studios doesn't really make bad movies. Even the two movies that are considered legitimate failures, Incredible Hulk and Thor 2, weren't that bad. That's why the MCU is the most successful movie franchise in the history of movie franchises. 

So anybody who's a fan of the MCU, but then suddenly turns on a particular MCU film with that much hate, to me, has an agenda.

40 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

I sincerely hope that you're mistaken that "Captain Marvel is now... poised to be at the forefront of the MCU and Marvel for at least the next decade."

That's not giving Marvel much credit for forward thinking...

She will be. And I'm not predicting she'll be the only character at the forefront, because you have the Guardians, the FF are on the way, Doctor Strange rules his own little universe, but as far as the the Avengers in a cosmic setting go, Captain Marvel will be at the forefront and will be the leader. She has the Studios name in her title. You don't think that's forward thinking?

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

She will be. And I'm not predicting she'll be the only character at the forefront, because you have the Guardians, the FF are on the way, Doctor Strange rules his own little universe, but as far as the the Avengers in a cosmic setting go, Captain Marvel will be at the forefront and will be the leader. She has the Studios name in her title. You don't think that's forward thinking?

Not if the quality of the first movie is any indication...

Edited by pemart1966

33 minutes ago, Grails said:

The directors were going for a nuanced 90's style indie/action movie hybrid. And Brie Larson's Vers character was a Kree soldier with amnesia, so between her scenes where she cried, laughed, screamed, smiled, or joked, she was portraying a Kree super soldier. 

And don't worry, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck are not returning as directors. Captain Marvel 2 will most likely be a big event movie, and they're better suited for smaller intimate fare. That's why I think Boden and Fleck will return to make a Secret Invasion inspired Disney+ show, but not the Bendis event story, but based on the recent mini-series Meet the Skrulls where we follow a Skrull spy family in disguise on Earth. Boden and Fleck were great with the Skrulls.