• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, but your extra flowery descriptive language (ie "WORST ever" "smelled like limburger" "wooden" "putrid mess" "criminal" "a mess" "the plague") about Captain Marvel suggests otherwise, not the "40 year old white dude" part. I mean, I myself disagree with a lot of movies, but you seem to have an agenda here. 

Here's a rule of thumb. Marvel Studios doesn't really make bad movies. Even the two movies that are considered legitimate failures, Incredible Hulk and Thor 2, weren't that bad. That's why the MCU is the most successful movie franchise in the history of movie franchises. 

So anybody who's a fan of the MCU, but then suddenly turns on a particular MCU film with that much hate, to me, has an agenda.

No, I had no agenda.  It was a lousy film IMO for the reasons stated above.

Every thing that Marvel touches doesn't turn to figural gold.  This is one of those cases as far as I'm concerned.  It was an extremely disappointing movie.  In fact, I'd rate it as Marvel's worst.  I found no redeeming features to it.

You on the other hand clearly love the movie and the character.  That's OK - we're clearly at opposite ends of the 1-10 scale here.

3 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

Not if the quality of the first movie is any indication...

Fine. Disney, if anything, likes to please its fans. And I do acknowledge that not everybody loved the first Captain Marvel movie. Yes, I loved it and thought it was extremely well crafted. But creator changes are coming to the sequel.

In comparison, I wasn't thrilled with the first Captain AMerica movie. I thought it was a little cheesy. But that's what they were going for, a Spielbergy wholesome type old-fashioned movie with nothing fancy. In hindsight, it worked, but I didn't like it then. Joe Johnston, a Spielberg-style director from the 80's (Honey I shrunk the Kids, Rocketeer, Indiana Jones Chronicles) was perfect for that desired style/tone. And for the sequel, Marvel Studios wanted a more complex Espionage Political Thriller style movie, so the Russo Brothers delivered that style exactly with WInter Soldier and it worked.

The CM directors, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, brought the sensibility of a 90's indie movie hybridized with a 90's action movie to the style. I think they succeeded in that. The camera work reminded me of Terminator 2 or Lethal Weapon, while the interpersonal story/relationships reminded me of a 90's indie-coming of age road movie. The sequel will take place in modern times, and will probably be much more epic and dramatic. Thus, a new director is being brought in. Maybe it will please the MCU fans who wanted a more serious movie. Unless they can't get past their agendas.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

18 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, yeah, but also it's a direct quote from Brie Larson's Crystal Awards speech which, though a little careless, was taken out of context and weaponized by the hordes of Hydra to show that Brie Larson aka the future Captain Marvel hated all men and wanted to create an Earth that resembled Princess Diana's home island and was also the daughter of Satan or something.

At least your thinking fits right in with the Disney crafted counter-narrative.

If a Secret Wars Disney+ show is supposed to tie-in to Captain Marvel 2, then Marvel Studios had better hurry up and make an announcement on a show, do some casting, and hire a director because July 2022 isn't that far off in movie production terms.

Is it possible that the Secret Invasion will just be a part of an already announced Disney+ show? Perhaps a Secret Invasion story will be part of the plot of the Ms. Marvel series. In the comics, her new costume is of Kree origins. And as I said before, perhaps the Skrulls on Earth will be less like the Bendis event story and more like the recent excellent mini-series Meet the Skrulls, featuring the Warner family, who also allegedly have a big role in the upcoming Empyre event.

5 hours ago, Hawkman said:

And we're all 100% convinced that you just don't like women. You're sexist and have proven it over and over again regarding Captain Marvel.

The good news is you will be watching Stargirl tonight on the DCU and later on the CW because you support all female-led productions. So we should focus on that next.

:shy:

11 hours ago, Hawkman said:

And we're all 100% convinced that you just don't like women. You're sexist and have proven it over and over again regarding Captain Marvel.

Well, theCapraAgraegus is on record saying he liked Wonder Woman. I think he just doesn't like women at the forefront of the MCU, because it's the MCU.

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, theCapraAgraegus is on record saying he liked Wonder Woman. I think he just doesn't like women at the forefront of the MCU, because it's the MCU.

200.gif

Do you have some unfounded assumption that I don't like the MCU...? That makes literally no sense.

On 5/14/2020 at 8:14 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

If a Secret Wars Disney+ show is supposed to tie-in to Captain Marvel 2, then Marvel Studios had better hurry up and make an announcement on a show, do some casting, and hire a director because July 2022 isn't that far off in movie production terms.

Is it possible that the Secret Invasion will just be a part of an already announced Disney+ show? Perhaps a Secret Invasion story will be part of the plot of the Ms. Marvel series. In the comics, her new costume is of Kree origins. And as I said before, perhaps the Skrulls on Earth will be less like the Bendis event story and more like the recent excellent mini-series Meet the Skrulls, featuring the Warner family, who also allegedly have a big role in the upcoming Empyre event.

I hope you're right because I really enjoyed Captain Marvel and thought Bree was great in it.  I think July 2022 won't happen and it will be pushed out at least 6-9 months out...maybe longer.  Covid is slowing things down if anything else.

8 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I hope you're right because I really enjoyed Captain Marvel and thought Bree was great in it.  I think July 2022 won't happen and it will be pushed out at least 6-9 months out...maybe longer.  Covid is slowing things down if anything else.

That new MCU schedule is definitely crowded. A late summer or fall release for Black Panther 2 and a Christmas release for Captain Marvel 2 might be easier to pull off and maybe more fun.

3 hours ago, ashsaytr said:

huh... well I liked CM better on a second veiwing... and Joker was forgettable... ummm am I suppose to post my 2020 census information now?

lol

It is super how CM won all those awards afterwards because it was so memorable. :baiting:

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

lol

It is super how CM won all those awards afterwards because it was so memorable. :baiting:

just have to say it was one of those movies that on first veiwing it was "meh" ... let it sit for awhile and watched it again... enjoyed it more the second time around :hi: