• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I want to caution you on this repeated 'sexist' and 'white supremacy' messaging you post too frequently. It does not lead to any decent discussion. And the only thing that comes out of such negative characteristics you attempt to apply to fellow board members is divisiveness and further conflict. No matter the differences in opinion, this debating method is meant to drive someone into the ground. That's a weak approach.

I'm not a fan of the first Captain Marvel movie. But I am fanatical over all comic book characters, female and male. And would love to see Captain Marvel 2 be a much stronger production. Are you going to categorize me as being someone then that only appreciates WHITE MALES in these productions?

Funny how it's always 1 side deviating from the content and trying to assassinate character.

Not worth my time. S/he is already brainwashed and far beyond self-recognizing their own incorrectness.

The problem is that you think a small group of "online trolls" means that there was no legitimate criticism to make prior to the movie being released. There were plenty of valid criticisms prior. The majority of them having nothing to do with a very small amount of people.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It wasn't small. I saw and researched a lot of those YouTube troll videos with hundreds of thousands of views and read the thousands of comments. Most of the comments were pretty horrid and obviously came from a place other than concern for story quality. How could it be based on story when the movie hadn't come out yet? I even had these people in my personal life. For instance, a very close relative of mine shared these views, being that he leaned far right on everything, and argued with me about the need for a Black Panther movie, that the character wasn't a major Avenger character and other nonsense. He didn't want to see Captain Marvel because he follows that online way of thinking and said Brie Larson was a racist and all that other propaganda nonsense, yet he did see it in theaters on my behalf and came out of it saying he thought it was actually a good movie. The anti-Captain Marvel "movement" was a mass coordinated groupthink campaign against a movie that a large segment of people viewed as a hardcore SJW move by Marvel Studios. And as I said above, even alt-right leaders got in on the action.

I said it wasn't debatable, but here I am again debating it. I got a little time.

Valid criticism? How does one validly criticize a movie one hasn't seen? If one was basing their hatred of the movie based on the "girl power" message in the movie's trailers, then, well, I'm sorry, but that's kind of sexist.

Yes, it was.

No, it wasn't.

Because you know you're wrong.

No, it isn't.

Marvel has released a Captain Marvel toaster that brands your bread.

CPTMarvel_Toaster.PNG.347cca6d3ba9b4fdcb80f653dabba936.PNG

Captain Marvel Toaster

This just seems like an extremely specific thing to sear into every piece of toast I eat for the rest of my life. It’s just a big commitment, y’know? What if I just want plain toast at some point? Then I’m screwed. (Price: $34.99)

Captain Marvel Toaster (SKU: 112785)

Ahhh. I see why the 'sexist' and 'anti-feminism' claims were noted.

Because the youtuber talked down Brie Larson's Captain Marvel statements while in the same video talks about appreciating Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, Sigourney Weaver's Ripley and Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor. So unless someone also recognizes Brie Larson's greatness, they must be an anti-feminist. Even if their video clearly demonstrates appreciation for other strong females.

Victor van Doomcock is the devil! :nyah:

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Ahhh. I see why the 'sexist' and 'anti-feminism' claims were noted.

Because the youtuber talked down Brie Larson's Captain Marvel statements while in the same video talks about appreciating Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, Sigourney Weaver's Ripley and Linda Hamilton's Sarah Connor. So unless someone also recognizes Brie Larson's greatness, they must be an anti-feminist. Even if their video clearly demonstrates appreciation for other strong females.

Victor van Doomcock is the devil! :nyah:

So, you come at me for apparently being "toxic" when I call out overt sexism in these forums, but then you post true toxic drivel like this video. So who's being toxic?

11 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

So, you come at me for apparently being "toxic" when I call out overt sexism in these forums, but then you post true toxic drivel like this video. So who's being toxic?

Oh, you have topped that off. Trust me.

Between the attempts to imply others are anti-feminist while you then use hate posts like when you failed at attempting to imply David Sandberg had purposely belittled Asians in Shazam when the character Eugene hits himself accidentally with nunchucks. That sits with me still because it was so clearly obvious what you were doing to detract from the film.

This attention-getting Youtuber with his costumed character didn't care for Brie Larson's performance, yet notes respecting the strong female characters of other productions. So he is an anti-feminist because that is the debate theme you have in your arsenal for countering such opinions? Come on. Stick to a truly intelligent debate versus trying to come across like you are the savior of feminism. Otherwise, you create your own turmoil.

And let's not forget with that Sandberg attack, he is such a good guy trying to avoid studio sides when people tried to make it a fight between Captain Marvel and Shazam, he stood up for the MCU film. And yet you tried to detract from his film because you had to play the 'DC vs MCU' game. There is nothing intelligent about that type posting.

Sandberg_CaptainMarvel01.PNG.2bdf94f2d3ee90723c0fa49959138467.PNG

Edited by Bosco685

I'm confused. What's the current status of Captain Marvel 2 and/or the plan to have Brie lead the next iteration of the Avengers?

IMDB's says the film's on-track for a 2022 release, but doesn't note a writer.

And it's hard to find any reliable news among all the haters who are trying to foment backlash against the character.

I thought the film -- and Brie's portrayal in it -- was fine.

While not top-tier MCU fare, I thought the first film was above average, and definitely better than:

• Both Hulk films
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Iron Man 2
  • Both Ant-Man films
  • Doctor Strange

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:
  • Both Ant-Man films
  • Doctor Strange

I have to disagree on these two.

Ant-Man is so funny while also action-packed, including Luis's storytelling that became a running gag. Which is why so many have asked for his return even outside of Ant-Man 3.

And with Evageline Lilly, oddly enough to this thread she delivers a fantastic strong female character that all movie-goers can appreciate.

Doctor Strange may be low-key how that story came together. But it was also quite the fun comic book experience. I very much appreciate this one as a long-time Doctor Strange fan.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

This attention-getting Youtuber with his costumed character didn't care for Brie Larson's performance, yet notes respecting the strong female characters of other productions. So he is an anti-feminist because that is the debate theme you have in your arsenal for countering such opinions? Come on. Stick to a truly intelligent debate versus trying to come across like you are the savior of feminism. Otherwise, you create your own turmoil.

Eh, Doomcock and other comicsgate Youtube trolls were trying to trash Captain Marvel and Brie Larson long before the movie ever came out and able to fairly "judge her performance." Did you actually watch the videos? If one uses the words 'feminist" and "SJW" in their attacks, they're probably anti-feminist. And when these trolls try to single out Captain Marvel yet say "but I loved Wonder Woman," well that sounds an awful lot like folks who say "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black."

I'll tell you why the hater trolls singled out Captain Marvel, and to a degree, Rey, in Star Wars, yet boasted that they love Wonder Woman to prove they're not sexist:

First in regards to Wonder Woman, she threatens nobody and nothing. There is no global culture dominating DC expanded universe that's universally loved and led by white males like Robert Downey Jr or Chris Hemsworth for her to usurp. Her movie's story also fit the traditional old school male view in that we still saw much of the movie through the eyes of Steve Trevor. He led her through the world of man and often had to explain things to her, like any man does. He got to romance her. And yeah, Gal Gadot is a real feminine beauty who won a beauty pageant once.

Now in regards to Captain Marvel, her character was a true threat to the universally loved globally dominant MCU. There was a real threat that she would replace the dominant white males of the franchise. Fears and conspiracies ran rampant amongst the hordes of Hydra that Brie Larson's character would take over Endgame and save the day with her "girl power." That was a real threat to these people and YouTube hatemonger trolls profited mightily off that fear .

Of course, Brie Larson's Captain Marvel actually is going to eventually take over the MCU (or at least lead the cosmic arm of the Avengers and be central in the overall big story), so I suppose she'll get the last laugh again.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Between the attempts to imply others are anti-feminist while you then use hate posts like when you failed at attempting to imply David Sandberg had purposely belittled Asians in Shazam when the character Eugene hits himself accidentally with nunchucks. That sits with me still because it was so clearly obvious what you were doing to detract from the film.

I didn't say the filmmaker purposely meant to belittle Asian-Americans, I just said it come off as a little racist. More like racially insensitive. I mean, as a society, can we finally back off the whole Asians and Jackie Chan kung fu thing? In light of recent events, I guess not. I still think it comes off a little racially insensitive. Did Sandberg have to go there? It wasn't even really that funny. I know a lot Asian-Americans and hardly any know martial arts or even pretend to think they know martial arts. I thought it was racially insensitive on the part of the filmmaker then and I still think it is now. If you want to keep bringing it up, that's up to you. I left it behind already but am more than happy to talk about it again in the future. Anything to make the other Captain Marvel look bad.

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Eh, Doomcock and other comicsgate Youtube trolls were trying to trash Captain Marvel and Brie Larson long before the movie ever came out and able to fairly "judge her performance." Did you actually watch the videos? If one uses the words 'feminist" and "SJW" in their attacks, they're probably anti-feminist. And when these trolls try to single out Captain Marvel yet say "but I loved Wonder Woman," well that sounds an awful lot like folks who say "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black."

I'll tell you why the hater trolls singled out Captain Marvel, and to a degree, Rey, in Star Wars, yet boasted that they love Wonder Woman to prove they're not sexist:

First in regards to Wonder Woman, she threatens nobody and nothing. There is no global culture dominating DC expanded universe that's universally loved and led by white males like Robert Downey Jr or Chris Hemsworth for her to usurp. Her movie's story also fit the traditional old school male view in that we still saw much of the movie through the eyes of Steve Trevor. He led her through the world of man and often had to explain things to her, like any man does. He got to romance her. And yeah, Gal Gadot is a real feminine beauty who won a beauty pageant once.

:roflmao:

Who's the anti-feminist now belittling a female actor's performance by attempting to make it look like the male actor had to lead her through the film? Come on. Take the MCU blinders off. The water is fine. Trust me.

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Now in regards to Captain Marvel, her character was a true threat to the universally loved globally dominant MCU. There was a real threat that she would replace the dominant white males of the franchise. Fears and conspiracies ran rampant amongst the hordes of Hydra that Brie Larson's character would take over Endgame and save the day with her "girl power." That was a real threat to these people and YouTube hatemonger trolls profited mightily off that fear .

Of course, Brie Larson's Captain Marvel actually is going to eventually take over the MCU (or at least lead the cosmic arm of the Avengers and be central in the overall big story), so I suppose she'll get the last laugh again.

There's a real threat? Okay. If you say so.

I think you forget the emotional response to Black Widow dying that demonstrates a female MCU character was beloved and praised as one of those foundational contributions that sacrificed herself later on. Sorry, but I am concerned you are trying to dismiss Scarlett Johansson's many contributions to the MCU as a strong and self-reliant female role model. Such androcentrism just feels out-of-touch with the times, and unappreciative of her contributions. Like only Brie Larson could come along and be the only strong female.

Did you not see the scene in Endgame where it recognized and celebrated all of the powerful female leads? They've only been going strong since 2008.

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'm confused. What's the current status of Captain Marvel 2 and/or the plan to have Brie lead the next iteration of the Avengers?

IMDB's says the film's on-track for a 2022 release, but doesn't note a writer.

And it's hard to find any reliable news among all the haters who are trying to foment backlash against the character.

I thought the film -- and Brie's portrayal in it -- was fine.

While not top-tier MCU fare, I thought the first film was above average, and definitely better than:

• Both Hulk films
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Iron Man 2
  • Both Ant-Man films
  • Doctor Strange

The Hollywood Reporter has already reported that Megan McDonnell, who was a writer on WandaVision, is currently writing Captain Marvel 2. IMDB doesn't always reflect current events. The industry rumor is that Captain Marvel 2 will be a mini-Avengers film, like Civil War was, and lead in to the next Avengers movie.

16 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I didn't say the filmmaker purposely meant to belittle Asian-Americans, I just said it come off as a little racist. More like racially insensitive. I mean, as a society, can we finally back off the whole Asians and Jackie Chan kung fu thing? In light of recent events, I guess not. I still think it comes off a little racially insensitive. Did Sandberg have to go there? It wasn't even really that funny. I know a lot Asian-Americans and hardly any know martial arts or even pretend to think they know martial arts. I thought it was racially insensitive on the part of the filmmaker then and I still think it is now. If you want to keep bringing it up, that's up to you. I left it behind already but am more than happy to talk about it again in the future. Anything to make the other Captain Marvel look bad.

It was a MCU-centered jab in order to detract from the film because you were assuming there had to be a competition between Shazam and Captain Marvel. Yet the director of Shazam had more class than that.

Save that selective social justice for the cheap seats. It's clear what you were doing. Just like the whole Brie Larson anti-feminism game. It's not fun to read. And I am a fan of her many other performances. Just not this one.

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

There's a real threat? Okay. If you say so.

I think you forget the emotional response to Black Widow dying that demonstrates a female MCU character was beloved and praised as one of those foundational contributions that sacrificed herself later on. Sorry, but I am concerned you are trying to dismiss Scarlett Johansson's many contributions to the MCU as a strong and self-reliant female role model. Such androcentrism just feels out-of-touch with the times, and unappreciative of her contributions. Like only Brie Larson could come along and be the only strong female.

Did you not see the scene in Endgame where it recognized and celebrated all of the powerful female leads? They've only been going strong since 2008.

Sure, Black Widow, Gamora, Scarlet Witch, etc. are all powerful heroes, but they aren't leads (until the Black Widow finally got her own movie postmortem). They're all supporting heroes. That's okay, though. Drax, Groot, War Machine, and Hawkeye are also supporting characters. Sure, it's kind of an ensemble cast, but Star-Lord was the frontman for the Guardians, and Stark and Rogers were the frontmen for the Avengers. It's not until Captain Marvel that there was a threat that a female hero would actually take over as a frontman in the MCU. Captain Marvel could even be THE frontman of the MCU. And that's what the anti-feminism anti-diversity trolls are hording against.

i keep coming back to this thread... not sure why... maybe its like a train wreak... however what i do know is i'm neither racist nor sexist... and if i don't like a movie it certainly doesn't make me either... and i'm offended for the folks who didn't like the movie... if there is a percentage of people who didn't like it because they were sexist... so... the movie certainly didn't tank and it hasn't affected her career in the least... I'm just tired of being put into any category because my opinion doesn't match up... and who the hell is afraid of a female lead?... who cares... I want a good movie and a good story... and I give a rats behind about what any of these actors think... they open themselves up for all the criticism the internet has to offer the minute they start pushing their agenda... the same as your doing now... and this thread is pushing way past the "POLITICAL POSTS ARE NOT WELCOME HERE" 

9 minutes ago, ashsaytr said:

i keep coming back to this thread... not sure why... maybe its like a train wreak... however what i do know is i'm neither racist nor sexist... and if i don't like a movie it certainly doesn't make me either... and i'm offended for the folks who didn't like the movie... if there is a percentage of people who didn't like it because they were sexist... so... the movie certainly didn't tank and it hasn't affected her career in the least... I'm just tired of being put into any category because my opinion doesn't match up... and who the hell is afraid of a female lead?... who cares... I want a good movie and a good story... and I give a rats behind about what any of these actors think... they open themselves up for all the criticism the internet has to offer the minute they start pushing their agenda... the same as your doing now... and this thread is pushing way past the "POLITICAL POSTS ARE NOT WELCOME HERE

Racism and sexism aren't a political thing. They're a society humanity thing. And trying to root out sexism and racism is an agenda of human progress. It truly bugs me when people say it's an "agenda" as if it's some kind of bad thing. What's bad is letting racism and sexism fester, pushing it under the rug or turning the other cheek. They're issues that have been addressed in comics stories themselves and it's an issue within the hobby of collecting as well. It should be okay to talk about it and put it out in the open.