• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/7/2020 at 10:07 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Believe me, you aren't the only "40 year old white dude" around here who hated on this movie long before the movie was even released and grudgingly went into it only because of the Infinity War tie-in but also went in with hate in your heart for Brie Larson. You're definitely not alone in this forum.

+100

On 4/7/2020 at 10:07 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

What's hilarious is to say that, if you're an MCU fan, that you're actually going to boycott Captain Marvel 2 (just as you said you would with the first CM but saw it anyway) but you'll end up bringing the whole family when Disney forces your hand because Captain Marvel 2 will essentially be the next Avengers team movie.

Yep, the He-man Woman Hater's Club in full effect. 

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I have to disagree on these two.

Ant-Man is so funny while also action-packed, including Luis's storytelling that became a running gag. Which is why so many have asked for his return even outside of Ant-Man 3.

And with Evageline Lilly, oddly enough to this thread she delivers a fantastic strong female character that all movie-goers can appreciate.

Doctor Strange may be low-key how that story came together. But it was also quite the fun comic book experience. I very much appreciate this one as a long-time Doctor Strange fan.

To be clear, I thought the Ant-Man films were fine.

And Doctor Strange was done about as well as any Doctor Strange film could be done on film -- if anything, it was a better film than it had any right to be.

But I still thought Captain Marvel was overall better movie than any of those -- and more re-watchable.

Which is particularly impressive because she's a C-list character. I didn't even know she existed growing up, with my frames of reference only the 1970s Captain Marvel series and the Monica Rambeau appearances in West Coast Avengers.

The only issues appearances of Carol Danvers I'd even read prior to the movie were 17-18 -- the initial Mystique appearances.

That they managed to craft such a compelling film out of such a C-list character was amazing.

55 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

And Doctor Strange was done about as well as any Doctor Strange film could be done on film -- if anything, it was a better film than it had any right to be.

But I still thought Captain Marvel was overall better movie than any of those -- and more re-watchable.

Which is particularly impressive because she's a C-list character. I didn't even know she existed growing up, with my frames of reference only the 1970s Captain Marvel series and the Monica Rambeau appearances in West Coast Avengers.

The only issues appearances of Carol Danvers I'd even read prior to the movie were 17-18 -- the initial Mystique appearances.

That they managed to craft such a compelling film out of such a C-list character was amazing.

It's super that Captain Marvel went over so well for you.

I still think Ant-Man and Ant-Man & The Wasp are better-told stories than that first Captain Marvel film. So let's hope for a much stronger MCU contribution with the sequel - and new director.

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I agree completely. Ant-man, enjoyed in the theater - the first one - second was ok... not really interested in rewatching them. Doctor Strange was a surprise as to how good it was - I WOULD watch it again, but not really going out of my way to do it - but Captain Marvel - loved it. Thought it was great. Seen it twice at the theater and once on dvd.

8 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Carol Danvers has had a very uneven history in Marvel Comics. She debuted in 1969, but then disappeared for a few years, then became Ms. Marvel, then disappeared again in the 90's. In that time, she was given her powers by a near death accident, lost her memories, got raped by an interdimensional being, got stripped of her powers and her identity by Rogue, was betrayed by both the Avengers and the X-Men (I remember always feeling sorry for her as she kept getting screwed over by everybody), and now most recently was the target of a campaign of hate by the hordes of anti-diversity just because she got a promotion.

It seems to me for the movie, they mashed a lot of Carol Danvers' uneven history into this one film. As I watched the movie, it was really cool seeing story elements here and there that were taken from the comics. You saw story elements from the early Roy Thomas stories including a military base, Yonn-Rogg, and Mar-Vell as Dr. Lawson. The movie even used the Kree device explosion from the comics. I didn't think they'd use that, but they did. They used Carol's history of memory loss in the movie as well as her long stretches of disappearance from Earth. Her Binary awakening from the X-Men comics was there. I wasn't a big Ms. Marvel fan growing up, but I'd read her Avengers and X-Men comics, the old Roy Thomas stuff, etc. and it was awesome to me that they honored the character of Carol and used so much of her comics history while adding a lot of new, as well.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

17 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Racism and sexism aren't a political thing. They're a society humanity thing. And trying to root out sexism and racism is an agenda of human progress. It truly bugs me when people say it's an "agenda" as if it's some kind of bad thing. What's bad is letting racism and sexism fester, pushing it under the rug or turning the other cheek. They're issues that have been addressed in comics stories themselves and it's an issue within the hobby of collecting as well. It should be okay to talk about it and put it out in the open.

Unfortunately, the way you attempt to categorize someone as a white male meaning to demean female leads isn't the best choice for a debate. It's an assumption on your part if someone sees something dissimilar to you, then they must be a racist, anti-feminist or whatever other socio-political theme you conclude for yourself. It's not a healthy approach. Even if the person continuously has a strong opinion they disliked a film or TV show approach.

Hiding behind you are just trying to protect others is not your job. That's what the moderators are here for.

20 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Eh, Doomcock and other comicsgate Youtube trolls were trying to trash Captain Marvel and Brie Larson long before the movie ever came out and able to fairly "judge her performance." Did you actually watch the videos? If one uses the words 'feminist" and "SJW" in their attacks, they're probably anti-feminist. And when these trolls try to single out Captain Marvel yet say "but I loved Wonder Woman," well that sounds an awful lot like folks who say "I'm not racist, some of my best friends are black."

I'll tell you why the hater trolls singled out Captain Marvel, and to a degree, Rey, in Star Wars, yet boasted that they love Wonder Woman to prove they're not sexist:

First in regards to Wonder Woman, she threatens nobody and nothing. There is no global culture dominating DC expanded universe that's universally loved and led by white males like Robert Downey Jr or Chris Hemsworth for her to usurp. Her movie's story also fit the traditional old school male view in that we still saw much of the movie through the eyes of Steve Trevor. He led her through the world of man and often had to explain things to her, like any man does. He got to romance her. And yeah, Gal Gadot is a real feminine beauty who won a beauty pageant once.

Now in regards to Captain Marvel, her character was a true threat to the universally loved globally dominant MCU. There was a real threat that she would replace the dominant white males of the franchise. Fears and conspiracies ran rampant amongst the hordes of Hydra that Brie Larson's character would take over Endgame and save the day with her "girl power." That was a real threat to these people and YouTube hatemonger trolls profited mightily off that fear .

Of course, Brie Larson's Captain Marvel actually is going to eventually take over the MCU (or at least lead the cosmic arm of the Avengers and be central in the overall big story), so I suppose she'll get the last laugh again.

lolwut

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Ethos, proving the speaker's credibility or lack thereof, is Point 1A in Aristotle's modes of persuasion.

By throwing out baseless accusations, you're not actually proving anything.

If your intention is to publicly admit defeat in effort to persuade against your own argument, then I concede that you've done that.

14 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, for some I'll try questioning their intelligence instead before outlining why they're wrong in so many ways. How's that for a healthy approach?

:facepalm:

I'm so glad comic book movies bring out the best in discussions like this.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:33 PM, Prince Namor said:

I agree completely. Ant-man, enjoyed in the theater - the first one - second was ok... not really interested in rewatching them. Doctor Strange was a surprise as to how good it was - I WOULD watch it again, but not really going out of my way to do it - but Captain Marvel - loved it. Thought it was great. Seen it twice at the theater and once on dvd.

I enjoyed Doc Strange waaay more than I expected to as well. Surprisely for me, it was my personal favorite of those you named. Re-watched several times. I saw Capt Marvel, as well, in theaters with my daughter. Although I thought it was meh,  what made it was a great movie for me were the experiences I shared watching it with my oldest daughter who was 10 or 11 at the time and rewatching at home with her and my twin little girls...who also loved it. It was something they have never seen before on a big-budget, blockbuster Marvel movie... a female lead superheroine who can go toe-to-toe with big baddies just like Thor or Iron Man. To them she's the coolest thing since sliced bread.

On 7/18/2020 at 11:38 PM, akaSteveRogers said:

I enjoyed Doc Strange waaay more than I expected to as well. Surprisely for me, it was my personal favorite of those you named. Re-watched several times. I saw Capt Marvel, as well, in theaters with my daughter. Although I thought it was meh,  what made it was a great movie for me were the experiences I shared watching it with my oldest daughter who was 10 or 11 at the time and rewatching at home with her and my twin little girls...who also loved it. It was something they have never seen before on a big-budget, blockbuster Marvel movie... a female lead superheroine who can go toe-to-toe with big baddies just like Thor or Iron Man. To them she's the coolest thing since sliced bread.

And being a lead character, Captain Marvel also gets to have fun, crack jokes, and be a mess (before figuring herself out) just like Doc Strange or Thor or Iron Man. Prior to this, the MCU female heroes served more as nannies to the goofy messy male lead heroes ie Black Widow "do I always have to pick up after you guys?"

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Captain Marvel 2 could be crucial in setting up the MCU's Phase 5. 2019's Captain Marvel may have generated intense debate online, but it was an undeniable success for Marvel Studios. It grossed over $1.1 billion in the global box office, making it one of Marvel's most profitable movies to date.

Sorry. But in scanning through the entire article, this is a kid's wish list of 'could' and 'maybe' thoughts. To include 'but it made a bunch of money'. 

The MCU has such a massive pool to choose from now with many FEMALE and MALE characters, it has grown beyond the early days where it narrowed the focus on just a few strong characters. To include Moondragon, Jean Grey, Spectrum, Emma Frost, Storm, X-23, Crystal, Rogue and more more. And let's not forget the existing female characters in additional to Carol Danvers. Including Jane Foster now.

Edited by Bosco685

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Sorry. But in scanning through the entire article, this is a kid's wish list of 'could' and 'maybe' thoughts. To include 'but it made a bunch of money'. 

The MCU has such a massive pool to choose from now with many FEMALE and MALE characters, it has grown before the early days where it narrowed the focus on just a few strong characters. To include Moondragon, Jean Grey, Spectrum, Emma Frost, Storm, X-23, Crystal, Rogue and more more.

I realize ScreenRant isn't a source of breaking nerd news, but these are lean times, so...

Yeah, the MCU will have a massive pool of characters to use and explore, but there can be only one Avengers leader. And what makes anyone think it won't be Captain Marvel? Of course she's going to lead the new MARVEL universe. You think Moondragon is going to step in and be the Avengers leader? At best Moondragon will be a supporting team member of a new Guardians team. And especially with the current conditions of the world, it's going to be a long long time before the X-Men reappear in the MCU.

I'm curious to see what happens to the MCU from here with the mass audience.

With Endgame being a good jumping off point and everything being delayed because of COVID-19, will the non comic fans come out in droves or have moved on?

I don't have the faintest clue in either direction.

Die hard comic fans will always be there, but is that enough?

Edited by D84