• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Which is great, and which is why I added the "IMO" qualifier.

I don't see how you could say she will be the "emotional" heart of the team.  She had the emotional range of a brick in both Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame.  Just because you can "smirk" doesn't mean you have emotional range.

Try watching the movie, dude. She does more than "smirk." And last I checked, Brie Larson is the only lead actor in the MCU to have won an Oscar for Best Acting.

Yes, I get it. Captain Marvel wasn't a big tearjerker and that's what you haters were clamoring for but I guess Kevin Feige in all his smartness knew not to release a heavy drama film with tears and gnashing of teeth and lots of dying a month before Endgame.

31 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And last I checked, Brie Larson is the only lead actor in the MCU to have won an Oscar for Best Acting.

Which is why I didn't say she has the emotional range of a brick in all her films.  In the two films in the MCU she has been in Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame she has no range, at all. 

1 hour ago, media_junkie said:

I don't see how you could say she will be the "emotional" heart of the team.  She had the emotional range of a brick in both Captain Marvel and Avengers Endgame.  Just because you can "smirk" doesn't mean you have emotional range.

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes, Captain Marvel, the same hero who inspired Nick fury to call his team "The Avengers" to begin with. The same hero who essentially saved everyone in Endgame by finding Tony Stark in space and preventing Thanos from snapping again. Her sequel is going to be an Avengers movie the way Captain America's sequel was.

That's not how it works.

14 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not delusion. Educated guesswork. The rumor of a Secret Invasion show leading into Captain Marvel came through MCU Cosmic and Daniel Richtman which means there's actual substance to the rumor. It's also been said Ms. Marvel will lead into Captain Marvel. Ms. Marvel has been announced for Phase Four. Secret Invasion has not. Ms. Marvel's ongoing story in the comics now ties into the Kree. Do the math.

Pure, unadulterated, fabricated delusion.

11 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Nailed it.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
14 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Nailed it.

What was nailed was point two of the four point memo of "How to properly hate Captain Marvel" handed out to the legion of haters last year. "Attack Brie Larson's acting."

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

What was nailed was point two of the four point memo of "How to properly hate Captain Marvel" handed out to the legion of haters last year. "Attack Brie Larson's acting."

Nope. Her acting in Captain Marvel and Endgame was s^&*. It has nothing to do with her overall career. It's called "context". MJ hit the bullseye with 0 MOA. Perfection.

3 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I, personally, dont have anything against Brie the actress/ Capt Marvel as a hero. Not a hater, I just thought the movie and Brie as CM was just *meh*.  Im a picky judge and probably only really, really like about 6-7 movies MCU at the most.  Ive stopped trying to predict which Marvel (and DC) movies I will / will not like because one thing Ive learned over the course of 10+ years is that I was wrong on a ton of them.  I had no clue (and Marvel as well) that Iron Man and RDJ would be what it turned out to be.  I thought the idea of a Guardian of the Galaxy movie (at the time I thought.. who??) was $#!+.  Now I just sit back with the popcorn and go for the ride. Sometimes the greatness comes from those you least expect.  

Edited by akaSteveRogers

36 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nope. Her acting in Captain Marvel and Endgame was s^&*. It has nothing to do with her overall career. It's called "context". MJ hit the bullseye with 0 MOA. Perfection.

Reverse nope. Captain Marvel, who was filmed a year before her solo movie, served Endgame's plot, not necessarily the emotional story. However, she seemed to be the only who gave a rat's butt in Endgame's opening scene when images of the fallen Avengers were being shown. She was the only one who was crying when she saw Fury's image. And I totally felt her badas*ness when she had Thanos in a choke hold and said "Answer the question!" And I totally felt her charm when she stands over Peter Parker in the final battle and says with a smile "You got something for me, Peter Parker?" And I equally felt her power and the respect for the man Tony Stark she hardly knew when she stands at attention on the lake cabin porch in Stark's funeral scene. But that's just from 5 minutes of Endgame where she served mostly to move the plot. Brie Larson was awesome and charming in Captain Marvel the Movie.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Reverse nope. Captain Marvel, who was filmed a year before her solo movie, served Endgame's plot, not necessarily the emotional story. However, she seemed to be the only who gave a rat's butt in Endgame's opening scene when images of the fallen Avengers were being shown. She was the only one who was crying when she saw Fury's image. And I totally felt her badas*ness when she had Thanos in a choke hold and said "Answer the question!" And I totally felt her charm when she stands over Peter Parker in the final battle and says with smile "You got something for me, Peter Parker?" And I equally felt her power and the respect for the man Tony Stark she hardly knew when she stands at attention on the lake cabin porch in Stark's funeral scene. But that's just from 5 minutes of Endgame where she served mostly to move the plot. Brie Larson was awesome and charming in Captain Marvel the Movie.

Nope.

The rest: :roflmao:

She was entirely meaningless throughout Endgame. No charisma - as stale as a plank (just look at that dead stare when Black Widow schools her on how teams work) - and did nothing Scarlet Witch couldn't have done in Act 3.

She did nothing to convince anyone that she has any ability to lead a team. Haircuts aren't character development.

Honestly, I thought Brie Larson's performance in Endgame was good, but didn't like her work in the Captain Marvel movie.  From my limited experience in the entertainment world, when I good actor gives a mediocre performance, it's usually a communication issue with the director.

For example:  Hayden Christensen was amazing in Shattered Glass, but was a let down in the Star Wars prequels.  We all know George Lucas is not the best with actors.

3 minutes ago, D84 said:

Honestly, I thought Brie Larson's performance in Endgame was good, but didn't like her work in the Captain Marvel movie.  From my limited experience in the entertainment world, when I good actor gives a mediocre performance, it's usually a communication issue with the director.

For example:  Hayden Christensen was amazing in Shattered Glass, but was a let down in the Star Wars prequels.  We all know George Lucas is not the best with actors.

IMO the "best" part was when she said nothing while transporting Stark to Earth. lol Idk. I can't think of any scenes with her that were actually "good". To each their own (for most people in this thread).

I actually thought Christensen was 50/50 in ROTS. I thought he was, at times, pretty good. I haven't seen a movie with him where I thought he was good, though.

Some of the problems with blaming the director lies in the fact that she "researched" the role, and there are actors out there that won't stop filming a scene until they feel they nailed it. It's a two-way street. Both the director and Larson failed us. 2c

5 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Not true.

When criticism of her acting and "emotional range" emerged here on the boards, I read all the comments thoughtfully - and went back to see the film in the theater a second time with those comments in mind.

Her acting fit the role perfectly, and she does indeed grow over the course of the film - including learning to visibly enjoy the full range of her powers.

I think some folks here are criticizing her supposed "lack of range" with the subtle portrayal of a female hero we've seldom seen before -- a reserved, serious Air Force test pilot -- basically, how Hal Jordan *should* have been portrayed in the Green Lantern film before some combination of writer/director/Ryan Reynolds made the film's Hal Jordan into an immature jokester.

Closest analog I can think of for the role that Captain Marvel called for was that of Linda Hamilton's Sarah Conner in T2.

Did you all think she Hamilton did a similarly sh*$t job there?

Edited by Gatsby77

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Not true.

When criticism of her acting and "emotional range" emerged here on the boards, I read all the comments thoughtfully - and went back to see the film in the theater a second time with those comments in mind.

Her acting fit the role perfectly, and she does indeed grow over the course of the film - including learning to visibly enjoy the full range of her powers.

I think some folks here are criticizing her supposed "lack of range" with the subtle portrayal of a female hero we've seldom seen before -- a reserved, serious Air Force test pilot -- basically, how Hal Jordan *should* have been portrayed in the Green Lantern film before some combination of writer/director/Ryan Reynolds made the film's Hal Jordan into an immature jokester.

Closest analog I can think of for the role that Captain Marvel called for was that of Linda Hamilton's Sarah Conner in T2.

Did you all think she Hamilton did a similarly sh*$t job there?

I likened Brie Larson's interpretation of Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel as more like a spirited teenage girl with "parents" who are constantly trying to temper that spirit, and who suddenly finds herself alone and free to explore her adventurous spirit. She actually has a charming personality in Captain Marvel, again something similar to a spunky teenage girl learning her powers. The 30 years older Carol of Endgame was played with more seriousness and maturity, even though it was filmed a year before the solo film. I imagine when we meet present-day Carol again soon, she will be that more mature woman who has probably seen a lot of tragedy and heart break.

Edited by @therealsilvermane