• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

I agree, and odds are we won't know, because the next film will also be a team-up.

However, how would you feel if in the next film, they set the table to have Monica Rambeau take over as Captain Marvel, phasing Brie and Carol out?

I'm not against it. In fact, i think it could be a compelling story if Carol died in battle while saving the world, leading to Rambeau to take up the mantle.

Not going to happen.

Adult Monica Rambeau is cast and slated to debut as an Agent of SWORD in WandaVision. I don't think they'll even make her Specter. Brie Larson has 5 films left in her contract for the MCU. She will finish out her trilogy at least and head up a couple of Avengers movies. By the time that ends, who knows where the MCU will be? Maybe it will transition to Young Avengers or a more Mutant-centric universe 10 years from now.

18 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:foryou:

I look forward to seeing if the sequel new director and story potentially bringing on even more fans. I rewatch most of the other MCU films.

Why is Marvel going with a new director for CM2? First one made a billion so you would think they wouldn’t change a thing.

20 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:foryou:

I look forward to seeing if the sequel new director and story potentially bringing on even more fans. I rewatch most of the other MCU films.

Same here!  Let's beat the Covid and get this sequel out in the theatres.. If I'm dead by then, I will come out of the grave and watch it. 

1 minute ago, Grails said:

Why is Marvel going with a new director for CM2? First one made a billion so you would think they wouldn’t change a thing.

Captain Marvel took place 30 years in the past. The two directors, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, are indie directors who did a great job of capturing the 90's feel. They understood the 90's movie style and themes, the culture, and did a great job picking the music of the day. Although it had a cosmic scope, the buddy road movie aspect of most of the film's story seemed to fit their style. They've done those kinds of movies in the past. Captain Marvel 2 will most likely be a "big" movie that sets up the Avengers going forward (according to industry leaks and rumors). It makes sense to change up the style and tone to a slicker and maybe more dramatic and epic tone. That's my theory anyway.

The directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck are apparently going to be helming a MCU Disney+ show, most likely Ms. Marvel, which will most likely tie-in heavily to the Captain Marvel films. I theorize that it might even be where we see Secret Invasion, but we'll see.

9 minutes ago, Grails said:

The story told here is that this makes perfect sense as now Captain Marvel will be a more modern character and that is not the previous directors' specialties (I think that's the stance now).

Yet when the Doctor Strange director walked away after a successful release, it was "GOOD - GET US A BETTER DIRECTOR". :facepalm:

Edited by Bosco685

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

Captain Marvel took place 30 years in the past. The two directors, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, are indie directors who did a great job of capturing the 90's feel. They understood the 90's movie style and themes, the culture, and did a great job picking the music of the day. Although it had a cosmic scope, the buddy road movie aspect of most of the film's story seemed to fit their style. They've done those kinds of movies in the past. Captain Marvel 2 will most likely be a "big" movie that sets up the Avengers going forward (according to industry leaks and rumors). It makes sense to change up the style and tone to a slicker and maybe more dramatic and epic tone. That's my theory anyway.

The directors Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck are apparently going to be helming a MCU Disney+ show, most likely Ms. Marvel, which will most likely tie-in heavily to the Captain Marvel films. I theorize that it might even be where we see Secret Invasion, but we'll see.

:popcorn:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

The story told here is that this makes perfect sense as now Captain Marvel will be a more modern character and that is the not the previous directors' specialties (I think that's the stance now).

Yet when the Doctor Strange director walked away after a successful release, it was "GOOD - GET US A BETTER DIRECTOR". :facepalm:

People didn't like Doctor Strange's director??

I thought the writing and direction on that film was remarkable - it was better than any Dr. Strange film had a right to be.

I also love that one the writers was a former AICN guy. Harry Knowles must have been seething at his success.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

The story told here is that this makes perfect sense as now Captain Marvel will be a more modern character and that is not the previous directors' specialties (I think that's the stance now).

Am I the only one who really liked Doctor Strange?

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

People didn't like Doctor Strange's director??

I thought the writing and direction on that film was remarkable - it was better than any Dr. Strange film had a right to be.

I also love that one the writers was a former AICN guy. Harry Knowles must have been seething at his success.

It's the ever-changing theory of why Doctor Strange didn't make a billion dollars. Scott Derrickson didn't meet the standards of other MCU directors (once it was announced he had parted ways with Disney).

Same folks...

MCU_Accting.PNG.173f26fae930abdf9421bcaa1ff51421.PNG

12 minutes ago, Grails said:

I wanted more than Escape to Witch Mountain

I loved Captain Marvel. For me, the casting was spot on and I found the "road movie to self-discovery" story compelling.

But equally, I loved how Marvel Studios used so much Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers lore from the comics. We saw bits of the Mar-Vell vs Yonn Rogg story, the Kree device explosion which transforms Carol, and a secret desert military base housing Kree alien technology from the original Stan Lee/Roy Thomas stories (I guess that's the "Witch Mountain" part you're referring to). The movie used the history of comic book Carol's repeated bouts of memory loss, long disappearances from Earth, and depowering. The movie used more recent story elements from Kelly Sue DeConnick's take on the character. It was great, for me, watching the movie and seeing so many of these comic elements used in the movie, especially as Carol's origins aren't as fleshed out as her male co-stars. Marvel Studios did a great job tying the comic book elements together into something new.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I loved Captain Marvel. For me, the casting was spot on and I found the "road movie to self-discovery" compelling.

But equally, I loved how Marvel Studios used so much Captain Marvel and Carol Danvers lore from the comics. We saw bits of the Mar-Vell vs Yonn Rogg story, the Kree device explosion which transforms Carol, and a secret desert military base housing Kree alien technology from the original Stan Lee/Roy Thomas stories. The movie used the history of comic book Carol's repeated bouts of memory loss, long disappearance from Earth, and depowering. The movie used more recent story elements from Kelly Sue DeConnick's take on the character. It was great, for me, watching the movie and seeing so many of these comic elements used in the movie, especially as Carol's origins aren't as fleshed out as her male co-stars. Marvel Studios did a great job tying the comic book elements together into something new.

:whatthe:

This will be a shocker. Once the news came out Derrickson had left, naturally he delivered a bland film and won't be missed. 

On 1/9/2020 at 8:23 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

On the other hand, as it seems like Doc Strange and the Madness Multiverse is an important movie in the MCU, possibly a cornerstone film for the future. Maybe Kevin Feige wants a better director who can bring a little innovation to the mix?

On 1/10/2020 at 6:31 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Generally, I thought Dr Strange was ever so slightly bland. Not sure whose fault that would be whether the director, the Creative Committee, Feige, who knows. And maybe the Studio thinks "pure horror" is not the right tone for the movie, especially with Blade on the horizon. I have a feeling it will be more of a cross-over movie.

I think most folks though don't really care who directs Dr Strange. Derrickson isn't like the Russos or James Gunn or Taika Waititi with some kind of indelible stamp on the franchise.  I think Strange will be fine. Maybe better.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:58 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't think there's a fear of that. Folks like Ryan Coogler, James Gunn, or Taika Waititi have been able to put their stamp on their Marvel films. Recently, Chloe Zao seems to have had no trouble getting her vision through in Eternals. Dr Strange wasn't the greatest of MCU films and Scott Derrickson had made mostly B level horror movies and a few forgettable movies before that. He won't be missed. Just keep the machine running.

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

This will be a shocker. Once the news came out Derrickson had left, naturally he delivered a bland film and won't be missed. 

I thought Dr Strange was a so-so movie with a great cast. I didn't really become a fan of MCU Stephen Strange until his showing in Infinity Game. Sam Raimi is an upgrade for the sequel.