• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, paperheart said:

how awful it would have been for Duverney to direct BP, perfectly happy to have had her krap the bed with A Wrinkle in Time instead.  WB has no problem picking up sloppy seconds from MCU.

Wrinkle in Time is a Disney movie, not WB,  but not sure if that's what you're referring to. I've been wanting to see it on Disney+. If you're referring to New Gods, well I don't even know if that movie's going to get made now. Maybe WB will wait to see how Eternals does. But of course, Eternals being a MCU film, it will do great, which is kind of a trap for other studios. "We can do that, too!" only to crash and burn...

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Now this is an example of a fanatical MCU fan that detracts from the news, ignoring the fact this 'indie director' is critically acclaimed already with such a limited list of films.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but the Quartering is a HQ for Captain Marvel hate on YouTube.

Of course, the Quartering, Geeks n Gamers, etc were all forecasting box office disaster for Captain Marvel chapter one and that blew up in their faces. But I guess they already got what they want, which was views, because Captain Marvel is a news maker and a world shaker.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, Bosco685 said:

YOU have been one that has tried to force the narrative everything being done within the MCU was all part of a planned roadmap and style. So yes, it is easy to be sarcastic with someone that blindly loyal to a legend being crafted.

Ohhh - so now the comparison of Captain Marvel and Captain America's film journeys line up when it fits a narrative you are trying to push? That's fantastic. Because only a page back you were noting how there was not story approach link.

:golfclap:

No contradiction on my part there. First, I'm just being a messenger and an observer on both points. I theorized a while back that Captain Marvel's sequel (once we all learned it would take place in the present) would act like a mini-Avengers movie (like Civil War or to a lesser degree Winter Soldier) that fits more into the larger MCU narrative as opposed to being a story outside that, like Thor's sequels. I also theorized that Captain Marvel would probably fill the void of leadership left by Captain America after his departure. That remains to be seen. That was the end of it for my Captain Marvel-Captain America comparison. That doesn't contradict with my observation that Captain Marvel's plot lines up more with the first Thor movie rather than Captain America First Avenger.

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but the Quartering is a HQ for Captain Marvel hate on YouTube.

Why would I be sarcastic, my ever-sensitive forumite? What he states is biased out of the gate.

See what happens when you assume it is you against the world in defending the MCU from its perceived attackers?

5 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

No contradiction on my part there. First, I'm just being a messenger and an observer on both points. I theorized a while back that Captain Marvel's sequel (once we all learned it would take place in the present) would act like a mini-Avengers movie (like Civil War or to a lesser degree Winter Soldier) that fits more into the larger MCU narrative as opposed to being a story outside that, like Thor's sequels. I also theorized that Captain Marvel would probably fill the void of leadership left by Captain America after his departure. That remains to be seen. That was the end of it for my Captain Marvel-Captain America comparison. That doesn't contradict with my observation that Captain Marvel's plot lines up more with the first Thor movie rather than Captain America First Avenger.

I think your narrative of why Captain Marvel must be accepted as amazing and how she will be the primary face of the MCU going forward is pushed stronger than a theory: it is pushed as fact.

But I agree, and have noted more than once. Time will tell. And I hope the Captain Marvel sequel does bring a more appreciated story.

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Why would I be sarcastic, my ever-sensitive forumite? What he states is biased out of the gate.

See what happens when you assume it is you against the world in defending the MCU from its perceived attackers?

I didn’t look at the whole tweet from Quartering, he was being sarcastic. Well Nia DaCosta’s Little Woods has a 95% Rotten Tomatoes critics score. So yet again these propaganda pushing  haters pick and choose their “data” to fit their ComicsGate anti-diversity agenda of hate driven arguments. Screw the Quartering.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

And Jordan Peele personally picked her to direct his new Candyman film. Of course the Russo Brothers had sparse feature film directing experience either, and James Gunn had made a couple of low budget horror flicks before Guardians, but that doesn’t fit his propaganda or get YouTube views. 

On 8/7/2020 at 2:52 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I didn’t look at the whole tweet from Quartering, he was being sarcastic. Well Nia DaCosta’s Little Woods has a 95% Rotten Tomatoes critics score. So yet again these propaganda pushing  haters pick and choose their “data” to fit their ComicsGate anti-diversity agenda of hate driven arguments. Screw the Quartering.

hm

Sounds so ironically familiar...

17 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I put some stock into the Audiences Scores. The "Critic Scores" are almost always the polar opposite for me, though.

Is MoviePass Manipulating User Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to Get Butts in Seats?

Once again, that Tomatometer rating rests firmly at a 0%. That’s 0 fresh reviews, compared to 26 rotten, with an average rating clocking in at a miserable 2.4/10. The critic's consensus byline simply (and hilariously) reads: “Fugheddaboudit.” The marketing team zeroed in on another statistic, however, and that is the Tomatometer's stark contrast to the “audience score." The rating which signifies any random user's affinity towards a film is at an unusually high 74%.

gotti01.png.8cc3d8a433ea28dd9632c1ae1425ef5a.png

This morning, a new 16-second marketing campaign for Gotti appeared online, with the words “Audiences loved Gotti. Critics put out the hit,” teased between brief flashes of footage from the film. The final line featured a direct attack on the critics who had been responding to the film, asking, “Who would you trust more? Yourself or a troll behind a keyboard?” 

They’re coming out pretty strong against critics here in what seems like a very desperate (yet decidedly of the times) plea for an audience. Things get even more fishy, however, when you go back and study that Rotten Tomatoes audience score. 

Dan Murrel of ScreenJunkies tweeted out his own suspicions this morning, noticing, “On Rotten Tomatoes, the movie Gotti has a quite unique score of 0% BUT it has a really good 77% audience score; looking at it, it has over 6,900 user reviews which is an insane number for a movie that opened to a miserable $1.7 million on 500 screens.” 

gotti02.png.a8d6f8bd22284ec6e186f0771ab18da5.png

He then decided to investigate the matter further. To put things in perspective in terms of the amount of user reviews, Gotti’s 6,900 are just a few less than this week's top selling film Incredibles 2  which features 7,454. That's also over 2,000 more than Ocean’s 8 at 4,592.  Incredibles 2 made $180 million at the box office this weekend. So the fact is, these are huge budget blockbuster movies that Gotti appears to be putting up similar numbers too.

He then compared Gotti to a film much more similar in terms of scope, the Sundance darling Beirut, which earned 5 million dollars on 700 screens. The film only received 708 user ratings. That seems like a much more realistic number.

gotti03.png.d5411cd128d22628626666b4f34b525b.png

So is it possible that distributors Vertical Enterainment and MoviePass Ventures are padding these numbers unfairly, not only to sway public opinion on the film, but also roll-out a lazily produced ad campaign? Unfortunately, all signs point to yes.

I used to think so too. Then this situation came up and people started realizing studios can tamper with the Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score to counter negative Critic Score results. Not that this ever happened afterwards.

ROS_ratings02.PNG.cd2355fcc54a7f56eb3a81bd3f10b811.PNG

:whistle:

Edited by Bosco685

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Is MoviePass Manipulating User Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes to Get Butts in Seats?

I used to think so too. Then this situation came up and people started realizing studios can tamper with the Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score to counter negative Critic Score results. Not that this ever happened afterwards.

ROS_ratings02.PNG.cd2355fcc54a7f56eb3a81bd3f10b811.PNG

:whistle:

Cool story. My scores for movies still seem to align with most RT audience ones. If the slipper fits...?

11 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

"...you might have hallucinated half of it."

Laurence-Fishburne-as-Perry-White-in-Man

You mean when comparing to other film aggregators?

ROS01.png.5ffe9afc06af44851cfc8b70f1650613.png

:baiting:

I think with any of these aggregators you have to be careful how much you empower them to make decisions for you. And especially when studios can figure out how to play that system to their advantage.

:foryou:

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

You mean when comparing to other film aggregators?

ROS01.png.5ffe9afc06af44851cfc8b70f1650613.png

I think with any of these aggregators you have to be careful how much you empower them to make decisions for you. And especially when studios can figure out how to play that system to their advantage.

:foryou:

I don't regret seeing that particular movie, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. (shrug)

I also don't regret skipping Fantastic Four because of it.

All seems fairly well.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't regret seeing that particular movie, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. (shrug)

I also don't regret skipping Fantastic Four because of it.

All seems fairly well.

Let's not disrupt the 'discussion' in this thread outside of the Star Wars thread.

But 'what I am getting at' is pretty obvious, no matter how much you attempt to ignore it. Even the mighty Disney is not above messing with the audience score when critics go negative on one of their productions.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Let's not disrupt the 'discussion' in this thread outside of the Star Wars thread.

But 'what I am getting at' is pretty obvious, no matter how much you attempt to ignore it. Even the mighty Disney is not above messing with the audience score when critics go negative on one of their productions.

It's just conjecture on your behalf, though. The numbers don't necessarily lie. You haven't even seen the movie. B|