• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And really if you want to get technical, Carol Danvers has never once called herself Captain Marvel in the movies. It wasn't like Tony Stark calling himself Iron Man in his first movie or the US government creating Captain America for Steve Rogers.

This means nothing. We know no one uttered the words “Scarlett Witch” until Wandavision. Likewise, IIRC, “Wonder Woman” wasn’t mentioned once in her first film - she was just “Diana.”

But - just as we knew Diana was Wonder Woman, Carol was Captain Marvel. With this new film’s title, she’s no longer unique, simply one of many - and just far more expendable.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This means nothing. We know no one uttered the words “Scarlett Witch” until Wandavision. Likewise, IIRC, “Wonder Woman” wasn’t mentioned once in her first film - she was just “Diana.”

But - just as we knew Diana was Wonder Woman, Carol was Captain Marvel. With this new film’s title, she’s no longer unique, simply one of many - and just far more expendable.

With this new title, it establishes that Carol Danvers has caused a ripple effect in the MCU that has created other heroes in her image, much like Iron Man created a ripple effect creating War Machine, Iron Spider-Man, and coming soon Ironheart. It establishes Carol Danvers as a major female hero in the MCU. For part of the Ms. Marvel show, Kamala Khan runs around dressed like her hero, Captain Marvel. Carol affects others. "The Marvels" title establishes Captain Marvel as a character with influence in the world.

How is Carol Danvers character not unique? Are you saying that because there is a plural title, that Kamala Khan and Monica Rambeau are also not unique? Are you saying that in one fell swoop, that Marvel Studios is attempting to minimize three female super-heroes? All just one of many? Marvel Studios must not think much of women I guess.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

4 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) is the MCU equivalent of Green Lantern - down to her willpower-based powers and origin -- and I predict "The Marvels" - whether it involves the multiverse or not, will very much play out like a Green Lantern Corps.

Again, this is wrong in so many ways. But if the MCU has an equivalent to the Green Lantern Corps, it will be the Nova Corps. They both use the word "corps" and both are committed to truth and justice in the galaxy. Hal Jordan and Richard Ryder even have similar origins in the comics, both given their powers by a dying Corps member after crashing on Earth.

However, I don't think Nova in the MCU will be Richard Ryder of the comics. Why would a Xandarian pass on the mantle of Nova Prime to an Earth guy? Fine for the comics, not so much the movies. Nova most likely will be one of the last of the Xandarians and be a future Guardian.

9 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Wait, maybe there is good reason, fear that a woman will take the forefront of a Cinema Universe that's been fronted by white dudes for the past 10 years. Can't have that, can we?

Careful, your canned response for anyone who didn’t enjoy the movie as much as you has been proven wrong in the past. From guys here who have said repeatedly that Aliens and Terminator are their favorite movies across many threads. We want female leads so take your tired “white male” trope elsewhere. 

Edited by Oddball

14 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Careful, your canned response for anyone who didn’t enjoy the movie as much as you has been proven wrong in the past. From guys here who have said repeatedly that Aliens and Terminator are their favorite movies across many threads. We want female leads so take your tired “white male” trope elsewhere. 

No thanks, I'll leave it right here in the Captain Marvel 2 thread.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

No thanks, I'll leave it right here in the Captain Marvel 2 thread.

(thumbsu Stick to your guns! Screw all those white dudes! Can I say that if I’m not white? I need to consult Twitter to see what’s race trendy today.

17 hours ago, Oddball said:

(thumbsu Stick to your guns! Screw all those white dudes! Can I say that if I’m not white? I need to consult Twitter to see what’s race trendy today.

I don't care what your race or gender is. And I'm not sure why you'd say "Screw white dudes!" Though that's probably the message the legion of trolls are passing out at their weekly zoom meetings as the rallying cry of Marvel and Kevin Feige especially after he said WandaVision didn't need Dr Strange, another white guy, to come in and show her how it's done.

Anyway, the fact remains that as non-white male heroes, mainly Black Panther and Captain Marvel, entered the MCU and got their own movies, both characters received backlash from less than honorable fans who seemed to have a problem with the sudden diversity. If you want to pretend racism and sexism doesn't exist in this world then you can also stick to your guns. If you check Twitter, you'll find out that Asian-Americans are the current flavor of the month for racist attacks.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I don't care what your race or gender is. And I'm not sure why you'd say "Screw white dudes!" Though that's probably the message the legion of trolls are passing out at their weekly zoom meetings as the rallying cry of Marvel and Kevin Feige especially after he said WandaVision didn't need Dr Strange, another white guy, to come in and show her how it's done.

Anyway, the fact remains that as non-white male heroes, mainly Black Panther and Captain Marvel, entered the MCU and got their own movies, both characters received backlash from less than honorable fans who seemed to have a problem with the sudden diversity. If you want to pretend racism and sexism doesn't exist in this world and most especially in these lily pure CGC boards you can also stick to your guns. If you check Twitter, you'll find out that Asian-Americans are the current flavor of the month for racist attacks.

Good, because I don't care about race or gender either. I just find the current trend of white people being apologetic for the skin color they were born with quite humorous. When you use the term “white dude” in that context (are you trying to channel Brie?) you are ignoring the simple math of our population in the US and how the ratio translates to smaller industries. Racism and sexism obviously exist because there is ignorance everywhere but the problem is placing labels on people you’ve never met because they just have a different view from yours. Yeah.. you know you are quite guilty of this. Screaming racism or sexism when not warranted is as damaging as screaming fire in a theater. It’s hurts the real issues of racism and sexism. 

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Spoiler

Anyway, the fact remains that as non-white male heroes, mainly Black Panther and Captain Marvel, entered the MCU and got their own movies, both characters received backlash from less than honorable fans who seemed to have a problem with the sudden diversity. If you want to pretend racism and sexism doesn't exist in this world and most especially in these lily pure CGC boards you can also stick to your guns. If you check Twitter, you'll find out that Asian-Americans are the current flavor of the month for racist attacks.

That is scary as that thought came into your mind all on your own.

tenor.gif.baf72476d487ebdc163ebd6c48a45022.gif

This thinking could force any 'progressive' to assume there are secret hate societies around any corner. Including a comic book chat board.

Better to focus on the movies and TV show topics. Less on saving the world here.

Edited by Bosco685

As we start to see new marketing and merchandising for Avengers properties, you can start to see where Disney/Marvel's head is as far as who will be at the forefront of the MCU going forward. And in a recent Arena of Heroes NBA Marvel tie-in which aired on ESPN recently, Captain Marvel is front and center.

nbaheroes.thumb.JPG.5996c17359a66dc9fca6eb6b9aeff815.JPG

Already Steve Rogers Captain America has been replaced by Sam Wilson Captain America. And it sure doesn't seem to me that Captain Marvel is getting sidelined for anybody. You can count on Captain Marvel being the leader of the Avengers in a couple of years when a new team is formed after the building blocks of Phase Four are through.

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As we start to see new marketing and merchandising for Avengers properties, you can start to see where Disney/Marvel's head is as far as who will be at the forefront of the MCU going forward. And in a recent Arena of Heroes NBA Marvel tie-in which aired on ESPN recently, Captain Marvel is front and center.

nbaheroes.thumb.JPG.5996c17359a66dc9fca6eb6b9aeff815.JPG

Already Steve Rogers Captain America has been replaced by Sam Wilson Captain America. And it sure doesn't seem to me that Captain Marvel is getting sidelined for anybody. You can count on Captain Marvel being the leader of the Avengers in a couple of years when a new team is formed after the building blocks of Phase Four are through.

Tony Stark/Iron Man was clearly noted in this promo. You know. The dead superhero that is still being mentioned.

Do you really look for these things constantly to reinforce your messaging?

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Tony Stark/Iron Man was clearly noted in this promo. You know. The dead superhero that is still being mentioned.

Do you really look for these things constantly to reinforce your messaging?

As long as folks keep trying to say here and elsewhere that Captain Marvel won't be at the forefront of the MCU of the future, then yes. Somebody has to have Captain Marvel's back around here because it sure seems a lot of folks around here have it in for her. Counter messaging.

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

As long as folks keep trying to say here and elsewhere that Captain Marvel won't be at the forefront of the MCU of the future, then yes. Somebody has to have Captain Marvel's back around here because it sure seems a lot of folks around here have it in for her. Counter messaging.

:facepalm:

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

So, how are some people handling Captain Marvel being demoted in what was supposed to be her second solo film?  :baiting:

How has she been demoted? Captain Marvel is getting a pair of female super-heroes who are in her image to tag along with her. All the major Avengers get super-hero buddies. Cap America got Falcon and Winter Soldier. Iron Man got War Machine and Iron Spider. Now Captain Marvel gets Ms. Marvel and Spectrum/Photon.

Plus how is becoming leader of the next Avengers team a demotion?