• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

How has she been demoted? Captain Marvel is getting a pair of female super-heroes who are in her image to tag along with her. All the major Avengers get super-hero buddies. Cap America got Falcon and Winter Soldier. Iron Man got War Machine and Iron Spider. Now Captain Marvel gets Ms. Marvel and Spectrum/Photon.

Plus how is becoming leader of the next Avengers team a demotion?

When you are first announced to be getting a second solo film named Captain Marvel 2, and that name is changed to the Marvels, that is a demotion.  When you were originally the lead that implies you will be getting the most screen time.  Now there are three leads who will be sharing scree time, that by necessity means you will be getting less screen time, because there is only so much time to go around. That is a demotion.  

Captain America and Iron Man always retained top billing. The side kicks never got mentioned in the title in the same fashion. This is general billing with a title like the Marvels implying an ensemble movie, not a solo film.

She has not at this point been named as the top Avenger. Things can change, just like the title of her movie did. 

5 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As long as folks keep trying to say here and elsewhere that Captain Marvel won't be at the forefront of the MCU of the future, then yes. Somebody has to have Captain Marvel's back around here because it sure seems a lot of folks around here have it in for her. Counter messaging.

Nobody “has it in” for a fictional character. Some of us just want a better Captain Marvel movie. I could be wrong but I blame the directors and direction. 
I don’t know if she will take the forefront of the MCU or not but if so she better earn it with a couple of damn good movies at least. 

10 minutes ago, drotto said:

When you are first announced to be getting a second solo film named Captain Marvel 2, and that name is changed to the Marvels, that is a demotion.  When you were originally the lead that implies you will be getting the most screen time.  Now there are three leads who will be sharing scree time, that by necessity means you will be getting less screen time, because there is only so much time to go around. That is a demotion. 

Captain America and Iron Man always retained top billing. The side kicks never got mentioned in the title in the same fashion. This is general billing with a title like the Marvels implying an ensemble movie, not a solo film.

She has not at this point been named as the top Avenger. Things can change, just like the title of her movie did. 

Look, I get where you're coming from. If Captain Marvel is such a big deal, why isn't her full name in her sequel's title? I get it. So I tell ya what, I'll try to see it from your point of view, as possible trouble for Carol Danvers as regards her status in the MCU, but then throw in my point of view, too.

But first, let's clear one thing up that just because a character's full name is not in the title, it does not mean that character can't be the lead. In Guardians of the Galaxy, while it is a team movie, it is still Star-Lord's movie. Over in DC, while Birds of Prey was a team-up movie of several Gotham ladies, it was still Harley Quinn's movie. Can we assume the possibility, since The Marvels is officially the sequel to Captain Marvel and even though it's going to be a team-up of superhero ladies connected to the Marvel name, that Captain Marvel will still be the story's lead? If you can't assume that possibility at all, that's okay.

So why the name change so that "Captain Marvel" is not at the top of the movie poster? The worst case scenario and which you're postulating is that Kevin Feige doesn't have faith in the Carol Danvers character (all the haters got to him, maybe?), even though she made a billion the first time, and is forcing her to share the spotlight with Kamala and Monica. Possibly. On another hand, I found it interesting in WandaVision that Monica appeared to have ill will towards her Auntie Carol. My guess is a feeling of abandonment. I wonder if, besides the story drama, there was a bigger strategic point to Monica not liking the woman she once adored? What if Kevin Feige was aware that a segment of the MCU fanbase, like Monica, also had ill will towards Captain Marvel? What if Kevin Feige is using Monica as a character who these particular fans can sort of relate to in the sequel movie? What if the hope is that if Monica can turn her hatred towards Carol back to love or at least acceptance in the story, then maybe these particular fans can do the same? Because Kevin Feige doesn't want to leave any fans behind, even the ones that hate Captain Marvel. And perhaps, this might be part of the reason for the name change to The Marvels? Regular MCU fans who like everything Marvel and Captain Marvel lovers like me are cool with whatever the movie's title is. But perhaps a title like The Marvels might soften the blow for the many fans who are anti-Captain Marvel in the hope that maybe they'll be more willing to see the film. I could see that as a possibilty.

One thing I don't see as a possibility is that Carol Danvers is not the lead in her sequel. Yes, Kamala and Monica will have significant roles, and I think more significant than guys like Sam Wilson or James Rhodes were in early movies, but it will still be Carol's film. All MCU films are basically buddy superhero team-up movies now, but you can still have an emotional lead. Civil War had all the Avengers in it, but it was still Steve Rogers' story. I do think that Phase Four marks a new way of treating supporting characters or buddy superheroes. I think like Monica in WandaVision or Zemo and Sharon Carter in FWS, they will be more 3-dimensional than supporting characters in the past. I mentioned a thing many posts ago about ladies no longer being metaphorical handmaids in stories from now on. This is part of that. While I think Carol will definitely be the lead in her film, Monica and Kamala will still get to be their own characters and grow as well.

Another thing about The Marvels title. I know a lot of you think Brie Larson is the devil, but I'm a fan and think the world of her. Obviously. I dig how she loves to prop up other women around her. At the MTV Movie Awards, when Captain Marvel won best action scene, Brie brought up her stunt doubles and let them have the spotlight. In a few magazine interviews Brie did for the Captain Marvel press tour, Brie specifically asked for a black female journalist she knew and also a disabled journalist. In her YouTube channel, she often gives the microphone to women who are making a difference in the world. In other words, Brie doesn't seem to be the type of person to hog the spotlight but instead prop up her fellow sisters. Now, I'm not saying Brie Larson had anything to do with the movie's title changing from Captain Marvel 2 to The Marvels, but The Marvels seems to be a name that fits right in with Brie Larson's personality and history of sharing the spotlight with her sisters.

1 hour ago, Oddball said:

Nobody “has it in” for a fictional character. Some of us just want a better Captain Marvel movie. I could be wrong but I blame the directors and direction. 
I don’t know if she will take the forefront of the MCU or not but if so she better earn it with a couple of damn good movies at least. 

Well a lot of people do have it in for the character and the actress, hence the dozens of anti-Captain Marvel videos that infested YouTube a whole year before the movie even arrived, the thousands and thousands of bad user reviews of Captain Marvel on RT months before the movie was released, and the dubiuous Alita challenge to go see Alita instead of Captain Marvel in an effort to tank Brie's film.

I obviously loved the first Captain Marvel movie, but fair enough. We'll see what happens with this sequel. I'm sure I'll also love it, but maybe it'll win your approval. I'll admit, Captain Marvel does need it if she's going to be at the forefront of the MCU.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Look, I get where you're coming from. If Captain Marvel is such a big deal, why isn't her full name in her sequel's title? I get it. So I tell ya what, I'll try to see it from your point of view, as possible trouble for Carol Danvers as regards her status in the MCU, but then throw in my point of view, too.

But first, let's clear one thing up that just because a character's full name is not in the title, it does not mean that character can't be the lead. In Guardians of the Galaxy, while it is a team movie, it is still Star-Lord's movie. Over in DC, while Birds of Prey was a team-up movie of several Gotham ladies, it was still Harley Quinn's movie. Can we assume the possibility, since The Marvels is officially the sequel to Captain Marvel and even though it's going to be a team-up of superhero ladies connected to the Marvel name, that Captain Marvel will still be the story's lead? If you can't assume that possibility at all, that's okay.

So why the name change so that "Captain Marvel" is not at the top of the movie poster? The worst case scenario and which you're postulating is that Kevin Feige doesn't have faith in the Carol Danvers character (all the haters got to him, maybe?), even though she made a billion the first time, and is forcing her to share the spotlight with Kamala and Monica. Possibly. On another hand, I found it interesting in WandaVision that Monica appeared to have ill will towards her Auntie Carol. My guess is a feeling of abandonment. I wonder if, besides the story drama, there was a bigger strategic point to Monica not liking the woman she once adored? What if Kevin Feige was aware that a segment of the MCU fanbase, like Monica, also had ill will towards Captain Marvel? What if Kevin Feige is using Monica as a character who these particular fans can sort of relate to in the sequel movie? What if the hope is that if Monica can turn her hatred towards Carol back to love or at least acceptance in the story, then maybe these particular fans can do the same? Because Kevin Feige doesn't want to leave any fans behind, even the ones that hate Captain Marvel. And perhaps, this might be part of the reason for the name change to The Marvels? Regular MCU fans who like everything Marvel and Captain Marvel lovers like me are cool with whatever the movie's title is. But perhaps a title like The Marvels might soften the blow for the many fans who are anti-Captain Marvel in the hope that maybe they'll be more willing to see the film. I could see that as a possibilty.

One thing I don't see as a possibility is that Carol Danvers is not the lead in her sequel. Yes, Kamala and Monica will have significant roles, and I think more significant than guys like Sam Wilson or James Rhodes were in early movies, but it will still be Carol's film. All MCU films are basically buddy superhero team-up movies now, but you can still have an emotional lead. Civil War had all the Avengers in it, but it was still Steve Rogers' story. I do think that Phase Four marks a new way of treating supporting characters or buddy superheroes. I think like Monica in WandaVision or Zemo and Sharon Carter in FWS, they will be more 3-dimensional than supporting characters in the past. I mentioned a thing many posts ago about ladies no longer being metaphorical handmaids in stories from now on. This is part of that. While I think Carol will definitely be the lead in her film, Monica and Kamala will still get to be their own characters and grow as well.

Another thing about The Marvels title. I know a lot of you think Brie Larson is the devil, but I'm a fan and think the world of her. Obviously. I dig how she loves to prop up other women around her. At the MTV Movie Awards, when Captain Marvel won best action scene, Brie brought up her stunt doubles and let them have the spotlight. In a few magazine interviews Brie did for the Captain Marvel press tour, Brie specifically asked for a black female journalist she knew and also a disabled journalist. In her YouTube channel, she often gives the microphone to women who are making a difference in the world. In other words, Brie doesn't seem to be the type of person to hog the spotlight but instead prop up her fellow sisters. Now, I'm not saying Brie Larson had anything to do with the movie's title changing from Captain Marvel 2 to The Marvels, but The Marvels seems to be a name that fits right in with Brie Larson's personality and history of sharing the spotlight with her sisters.

58lvfr.jpg.9269057fe8d3e09d6a5533f0ebe7ab36.jpg

6 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Dude - you might have noticed that Bosco and I enjoy sparring about our differing opinions.

But his Latin lorem ipsum quote a few pages back was perfect, and applies here.

If you need 800+ words to argue your point, you've lost.

And I *loved* the Captain Marvel film - I think it was really smart, high concept sci-fi that had multiple twists I didn't see coming. And, like Guardians of the Galaxy, that the film was actually far better than the character herself (a D-lister from the comics) deserved.

But the title change really can't be seen as anything but a demotion. And it sheds severe doubt on her leading the Avengers going forward. (Although, my prediction and hope that Black Panther would lead the next phase of the team has now sadly been proven wrong as well.)

52 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Dude - you might have noticed that Bosco and I enjoy sparring about our differing opinions.

And I *loved* the Captain Marvel film - I think it was really smart, high concept sci-fi that had multiple twists I didn't see coming. And, like Guardians of the Galaxy, that the film was actually far better than the character herself (a D-lister from the comics) deserved.

But the title change really can't be seen as anything but a demotion. And it sheds severe doubt on her leading the Avengers going forward. (Although, my prediction and hope that Black Panther would lead the next phase of the team has now sadly been proven wrong as well.)

Are you kidding? THE MARVELS: ATTACK OF THE PHANTOM HATERS is going to be spectacular. And that opening scene sets the tone for this next adventure.

ThePhantomHaters.PNG.7465a6912ef0bf00dd82d8a5f4dfe1aa.PNG

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

So the longer a thesis, the more incorrect it becomes? I don't remember that part in college. Or even high school.

Anyway, my entire argument is actually Kevin Feige's words that Captain Marvel will soon lead and be at the forefront of the entire MCU. No matter the title of the Captain's sequel, we won't know anything until we've watched the movie next year. You're trying to say that Kamala Khan or Monica Rambeau will become the new Captain and Carol will somehow go away which is ludicrous. And we won't know whether she'll be the Avengers leader until there's actually a new team on the silver screen and we see who ends up taking the new team into battle. Until then, you can't say I've "lost" anything.

I actually think Captain Marvel will share leadership with Sam Wilson Captain America, that Sam will be in charge of an Earth division, while Captain Marvel heads a space division. But again, I can't be wrong at anything until we see how it plays out.

One thing is for sure, T'Challa was never going to be the Avengers leader. He has the kingdom of Wakanda to run and doesn't have time to be sitting in some HQ in upstate New York or sitting in some orbiting space station. My theory is that T'Challa is the Avenger who supplies the team's tech with Stark gone. That can still happen with or without T'Challa. They just gave Sam Wilson his new wings.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

3 minutes ago, bentbryan said:
13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Are you kidding? THE MARVELS: ATTACK OF THE PHANTOM HATERS is going to be spectacular. And that opening scene sets the tone for this next adventure.

ThePhantomHaters.PNG.7465a6912ef0bf00dd82d8a5f4dfe1aa.PNG

^^

Sure, Bosco wins "Troll of the morning" if you want to call that "winnang."

6 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Why can't this thread just stay on topic in relation to Captain Marvel 2?  It seems like most of it is just people coming here to bash Brie Larson or bring up other topics.  Oh that's right almost forgot, typical toxic forum members/posts.

^^

4 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

Why can't this thread just stay on topic in relation to Captain Marvel 2?  It seems like most of it is just people coming here to bash Brie Larson or bring up other topics.  Oh that's right almost forgot, typical toxic forum members/posts.

Bash Brie Larson? No, not really.

One individual over-dramatizing anyone that didn't care for either the performance or -script is a hater is what gives that impression. Don't fall for that trap.

:tink:

21 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Sure, Bosco wins "Troll of the morning" if you want to call that "winnang."

Trolling? You instigate the drama with your excessive responses. You even admitted multiple times what you are doing due to 'other places' supposedly hating female actors or Brie Larson.

Nobody that I have seen posting indicated "I hate Brie Larson". You've set that tone this is occuring.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Bash Brie Larson? No, not really.

One individual over-dramatizing anyone that didn't care for either the performance or --script is a hater is what gives that impression. Don't fall for that trap.

:tink:

Or one individual, YOU, who defaults to everything I say is DC vs Marvel or everyone is a Captain Marvel hater. I'm just debating the meaning of Captain Marvel's new title The Marvels and doing it with all honesty. Isn't that one of the things we do here, debate? You're the one bringing the toxicity with your troll posts.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Or one individual, YOU, who defaults to everything I say is DC vs Marvel or everyone is a Captain Marvel hater. I'm just debating the meaning of Captain Marvel's new title The Marvels and doing it with all honesty. Isn't that one of the things we do here, debate? You're the one bringing the toxicity with your troll posts.

I bet if we go through this thread, the original Captain Marvel thread and now the Falcon/Winter Soldier thread there is ONE INDIVIDUAL who seem excessively fixated on debating with everyone in an excessive way if they even indicate not caring for a given character or production: YOU!

Angel of Death

BentBryan

Drotto

Gatsby77

NewWorldOrder

Just a few recently you have over-debated with about anything MCU and throughout not only try to imply racism and misogyny, but also how there is a wider conspiracy against minorities and females that have bled over from other places that you are now taking a stand here to fight off this phantom hater cult.

I'm just tired of your BS and giving it back to you as it has killed the spirit of this area watching you bounce around from thread to thread supposedly defending the MCU. Including just yesterday going from thread-to-thread posting that video while you proclaim "SEE - CAPTAIN MARVEL IS GOING TO BE THE AVENGERS LEADER" like this is some rallying cry. Get over it!