• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Maybe they'll give her a personality in The Marvels? Who knows? I hope so.

I hope so too, we'll see. I will admit I wasn't a big fan of the first film but Brie has it in her to make the character shine. I think it all depends on what the director goes with. 

Edited by William-James88

31 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It's a fair question. I am a dude. And if it's here in the CGC boards, I believe it'd be mansplaining to other men for the most part. How about just the point of view of somebody who loves to analyze film and maybe even took a few film courses in college? Maybe film studier-splaining?

Sure, as a dude, I don't know what the female experience is.  But maybe I might possibly can detect it when I see it in a movie when compared to so many other films in the past made by guys, like me.

I'll elaborate more on this with examples later, got to run and do life things.

I loved when you were telling Sharon what it means to have a strong female character in a comic book films when she shared Captain Marvel was not high on her list.

That was the best!

emotion01.gif.289a0c7097b7c3f9db151888d35a6341.gif

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I loved when you were telling Sharon what it means to have a strong female character in a comic book films when she shared Captain Marvel was not high on her list.

That was the best!

emotion01.gif.289a0c7097b7c3f9db151888d35a6341.gif

Not that I could ever get a my wife to write a comment here, so you are going to have a trust me (I know a hard thing to do).  So I generally defer to her when judging how women react to certain things. She was also not a fan of Captain Marvel, and felt she was the weakest link in the film.  She also hates the girl power moment in Endgame, but recognizes there are some women who loved it. On the other hand her inner little girl was almost brought to tears of joy after the first Wonder Woman movie. She liked the Snyder Cut of Justice League basically because she got to see more Wonder Woman.

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

Not that I could ever get a my wife to write a comment here, so you are going to have a trust me (I know a hard thing to do).  So I generally defer to her when judging how women react to certain things. She was also not a fan of Captain Marvel, and felt she was the weakest link in the film.  She also hates the girl power moment in Endgame, but recognizes there are some women who loved it. On the other hand her inner little girl was almost brought to tears of joy after the first Wonder Woman movie. She liked the Snyder Cut of Justice League basically because she got to see more Wonder Woman.

Sounds like you got a smart wife. (thumbsu

Sadly, my younger brother's wife said that the girl power scene was "easily the best part of Endgame". It was then that I decided I will no longer buy tickets to see movies with her. She also said that it was the only part when she cried. Nope, not when the Bartons died, or Natasha, or Iron Man... Just that 1 basic scene...

Edited by Angel of Death

3 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Sounds like you got a smart wife. (thumbsu

Sadly, my younger brother's wife said that the girl power scene was "easily the best part of Endgame". It was then that I decided I will no longer buy tickets to see movies with her.

Her words not mine.  She felt that all the main Marvel woman meeting at the same time and place on a battlefield with that many people was absurd, so she views the moment as pandering not empowering.   

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

Her words not mine.  She felt that all the main Marvel woman meeting at the same time and place on a battlefield with that many people was absurd, so she views the moment as pandering not empowering.   

And I agree with her. It's not the worst scene (Rhodey's Cheez Whiz joke is much worse), but ain't well done either.

Hel, the Russo Bros. just did the Maximoff/Romanoff/Okoye scene in Infinity War! That one was pretty good.

Edited by Angel of Death
Syntax.

49 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

So...a female director can't helm a solid male-led action flick?

Kathryn Bigelow - and her Oscar - would disagree.

And even if the rumors are true that James Cameron ghost-directed Strange Days, Point Break is still a classic.

In Point Break, Tyler (Lori Petty's character) was really three-dimensional and we might have Kathryn Bigelow's direction to thank for that. Might.

I think a guy or a gal could direct a solid action movie as action isn't a gender specific thing. But if a film also contains tiny moments of character life and living, and it's important to the story and thus want it to feel real, sometimes having a person who's lived the life of that character might be beneficial to the film's authenticity as a consultant, a writer, or a director.

9 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

And I agree with her. It's not the worst scene (Rhodey's Cheez Whiz joke is much worse), but ain't well done either.

Hel, the Russo Bros. just did the Maximoff/Romanoff/Okoye scene in Infinity War! That one was pretty good.

Her oppinion is different from your sister in law's, and that is just fine, but it also shows a broader point. Different women hold different views, so implying all women's views can be shown or embodied by one woman directing is silly. There is no singular women's experience. 

And yes, I am biased, but she is pretty awsome, and a strong woman, who is very educated and a partner in an all female business. She has also done some killer cosplay. So please do not try to define what a strong woman is for me, I live with one.

Still have not figure out why she picked me. 🙄

Just now, Dr. Dank said:

I didn't watch this movie for the same reason I didn't watch Black Panther. It looked like it sucked

I suppose I wasn't incorrect 

Neither Black Panther nor Captain Marvel sucked.

Both, in fact, were excellent.

Just now, Gatsby77 said:

A point of view that is absolutely valid

Mine just differs

17 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Black Panther was fantastic.

Captain Marvel, for me, was not great. Not bad. Just somewhere in the middle.

:popcorn:

Spoiler

Waterboy_CM.gif.dac4abde038fe58d1d6978dd032f5ca5.gif