• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, bane said:

I'm always interested in how co-Directors work, normally the director has a "vision" but its interesting to then have 2 people on the same page. 

Me too. And with Into the Spider-Verse, it had 3 directors (Peter Ramsey, Bob Persichetti, Rodney Rothman). How did that work so smoothly?

1 hour ago, bane said:

I'm always interested in how co-Directors work, normally the director has a "vision" but its interesting to then have 2 people on the same page. 

Usually it's from a long running relationship which is why often you see famous brother duos like the Wachowskis or the Russos or Coen Brothers. With the two latter they also wrote their scripts together. Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck have been working together since they made short films. Some folks can see eye to eye on a thing or their disagreements can lead to a stronger outcome. It's about trust and being in a long running creative relationship where bouncing off each other has lead to successful results.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Interesting that they are going for a new director.

I thought that if the CM sequel was going to continue Carol's adventures in the past, that they should stick with the same directors because it might involve a lot of the same characters not far removed from the last movie's time frame. But if they're going to make a present day story, most likely the story will be a mini-Avengers type movie. Carol isn't preoccupied with running a kingdom or dealing with the mystic realm. On Earth, her world is Nick Fury's world, the Avengers' world, not unlike Steve Rogers.

8 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

If the Captain Marvel sequel does take place in the present, then it will most likely be a cross-over mini-Avengers movie, like the Captain America films were (beginning with Winter Soldier), I bet.

:roflmao:

The Winter Soldier is not a "crossover" or "Avengers movie". It has literally 2 Avengers in it.

Captain Marvel ain't even an Avenger.

5 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

:roflmao:

The Winter Soldier is not a "crossover" or "Avengers movie". It has literally 2 Avengers in it.

Captain Marvel ain't even an Avenger.

The MCU Avengers were literally named after Carol Danvers military call sign when Fury sees her old military photo when he almost calls the future team the Protectors.

And Winter Soldier had cross-over with SHIELD, Fury, and Black Widow.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

The MCU Avengers were literally named after Carol Danvers military call sign when Fury sees her old military photo when he almost calls the future team the Protectors.

You're confusing inspiration with inclusion.

Just because the 1990's inspired Nick Fury to name a group in the 21st century does not make said inspiration a member of said group.

Dream Theater was inspired by Rush. That doesn't make John Petrucci a Rush guitarist.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

And announcing it must be a female director. Like a male director won't get the character?

As far as announcing the search for a female director, did Disney "announce" they're searching for a female director? No doubt, though, they're going to hire a female director for the sequel. Marvel Studios has been hiring gender/race directors specific based on the main character since Iron Man. Up until Black Panther, all MCU films have starred a white male/males, so Marvel hired all white male directors. Then they hire Ryan Coogler to write/direct Panther. They got a half female duo for CM. They hired Chloe Zhao, an Asian American, to do Eternals where the main character Sersi will be played by a woman of Asian descent. Same with Shang Chi. No doubt an African American director will helm Blade. Over at DC, Patty Jenkins made Wonder Woman. No need for it to be a thing.

Character depth is important in the Marvel Studios movies. Sure, they've been thin on plot at times, but the strength has been the people behind the mask. That's the Marvel way and what Stan Lee established when he made the family the most important part of Fantastic Four or Peter Parker's personal problems outshine Spider-Man's problems. With Marvel, the people behind the mask are more important than the mask (this is opposite of DC where Bruce Wayne IS Batman, not a care-free playboy or Kal-El IS Superman, not a mild mannered reporter). With that, the personal life experience of the director/writer can bring a lot to a project if the main character being a man or woman or some ethnicity matters. While I think CM2 will be a mini-team movie, I'm sure the film will also delve more into Carol's personal life and relationships.

12 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

You're confusing inspiration with inclusion.

Just because the 1990's inspired Nick Fury to name a group in the 21st century does not make said inspiration a member of said group.

Dream Theater was inspired by Rush. That doesn't make John Petrucci a Rush guitarist.

Okay, fine, never mind I said "Avengers." I think the CM sequel will be a mini-ensemble movie that will guest feature other Marvel heroes (like maybe Nick Fury, Hulk, She-Hulk, etc) while also focusing on Carol Danvers, not unlike what Winter Soldier or Civil War did.

24 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Okay, fine, never mind I said "Avengers." I think the CM sequel will be a mini-ensemble movie that will guest feature other Marvel heroes (like maybe Nick Fury, Hulk, She-Hulk, etc) while also focusing on Carol Danvers, not unlike what Winter Soldier or Civil War did.

I would think that Nick Fury is basically a guarantee, unless that Far From Home credit scene is expected to setup something else.

She-Hulk? Maybe, since the MCU is on a woke path. Just cram all the girls together amirite?

Professor Hulk should probably just retire with that useless arm. He doesn't wanna fight, obviously.

They need to actually develop Captain Marvel into a likeable character. Any sort of ensemble for her sequel will basically be Marvel admitting that she can't carry her own film, and detract from trying to make her into something more.

51 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I thought that if the CM sequel was going to continue Carol's adventures in the past, that they should stick with the same directors because it might involve a lot of the same characters not far removed from the last movie's time frame. But if they're going to make a present day story, most likely the story will be a mini-Avengers type movie. Carol isn't preoccupied with running a kingdom or dealing with the mystic realm. On Earth, her world is Nick Fury's world, the Avengers' world, not unlike Steve Rogers.

But what does that have to do with selecting a new director(s)?

37 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

As far as announcing the search for a female director, did Disney "announce" they're searching for a female director? No doubt, though, they're going to hire a female director for the sequel. Marvel Studios has been hiring gender/race directors specific based on the main character since Iron Man. Up until Black Panther, all MCU films have starred a white male/males, so Marvel hired all white male directors. Then they hire Ryan Coogler to write/direct Panther. They got a half female duo for CM. They hired Chloe Zhao, an Asian American, to do Eternals where the main character Sersi will be played by a woman of Asian descent. Same with Shang Chi. No doubt an African American director will helm Blade. Over at DC, Patty Jenkins made Wonder Woman. No need for it to be a thing.

Character depth is important in the Marvel Studios movies. Sure, they've been thin on plot at times, but the strength has been the people behind the mask. That's the Marvel way and what Stan Lee established when he made the family the most important part of Fantastic Four or Peter Parker's personal problems outshine Spider-Man's problems. With Marvel, the people behind the mask are more important than the mask (this is opposite of DC where Bruce Wayne IS Batman, not a care-free playboy or Kal-El IS Superman, not a mild mannered reporter). With that, the personal life experience of the director/writer can bring a lot to a project if the main character being a man or woman or some ethnicity matters. While I think CM2 will be a mini-team movie, I'm sure the film will also delve more into Carol's personal life and relationships.

Since Iron Man? hm

I think you miss the point. If studios start announcing profiles for directors (e.g. we require a transsexual, Asian midget with crossed eyes) it is going to come across like false openness to all races, genders, etc. How about we make it about the best director, and then announce the name? Crazy, right?