• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA/Atomic Age Pedigree Goodies
9 9

95 posts in this topic

*** SOLD ***

Tales of Horror #6, River City.  For the those who love "girl in test tube" horror covers, and, to be honest, who doesn't, this is the book for you.  It is very difficult to find a copy of this issue, much less one with pretty colors and pages that you would expect of a River City copy.

Census: Highest is 7.5.  This 7.0 with ow/w pages is only $1500.

TalesHorror6rc.jpg

TalesHorror6rc bk.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

9 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Tales of Horror #6, River City.  For the those who love "girl in test tube" horror covers, and, to be honest, who doesn't, this is the book for you.  It is very difficult to find a copy of this issue, much less one with pretty colors and pages that you would expect of a River City copy.

TalesHorror6rc.jpg

TalesHorror6rc bk.jpg

take per PM

18 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

TalesHorror6rc.jpg

Sold via PM

Edited by adamstrange

5 minutes ago, bounty_coder said:

Well this is certainly a lesser known under-appreciated LB Cole War cover.  I was once told if you find blinding fire reds on a GA book you don't think twice.  This will be my first Vancouver :foryou:

:takeit: 

Sold!

You will not be disappointed!

8:30pm for the books tonight and I do expect to start on time.

*** SOLD ***

Tales of Horror #4, River City.  This is one of the Toby's that is very difficult to find in grade.  Hiding inside is one of the highlights of pre-code horror, with a tail of rats attempting to take over the world.  It's insane but in a good way. :cool:

Census:  Three at cgc6.5.  This fresh copy with ow/w pages is a raw vf/nm and can be yours for $1500.

TalesofHorror4rc.jpg

TalesofHorror4rcbk.jpg

TalesHorror4p1.jpg

TalesofHorror4p2.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

I can't help it.I have a copy of that Lars-not even close to above,but I need to say,the way that (my)book looks in hand and knowing Mr.adamstrange's love of deep colours-it is such a pretty,pretty comic.

And of course,the one Ekgren I have is for sale.Top ten! :cloud9:

Okay,drooling brown nosing over.Excuse me.

Strange Stories from Another World #3, Spokane Pedigree.  Speaking of Norm Saunders, he supplied cover paintings for some of Fawcett's horror comics.  A prolific and highly skilled pulp painter who started in the 1930s, Saunders was in top form as Death watches a gruesome scene beginning to unfold.  For a brief time, Fawcett had full color back covers as well, printed with brilliant metallic inks that refract the light.  The interior art is overall quite nice but I thought this first story very impressive and I couldn't pinpoint the artist.  GCD speculates Ed Waldman, who I'm not familiar with but should probably get to know.

Census: One in 9.2 and two in 8.5.  This is a raw vf copy but, like most Spokanes, it melts in your hands and gives off a glow that shines in the darkest night.  Seriously, the colors and pages are unreal.  Price?  $1250.

SSFAW3spk.jpg

SSFAW3spkbk.jpg

SSFAW3p1.jpg

*** SOLD ***

World's Finest #59: These 68 page giants are bear to find in decent shape and you'll have a hard time doing better than this attractive copy.  Joker takes on the Batman in the solo Batman story at end of the comic.  Superman stars in the first story and the loads of art in between.

Census: One in 8.5, one in 8.0, one in 7.5.  This raw 7.5 copy is only $800.

WF59.jpg

WF59bk.jpg

WF59p1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

*** SOLD ***

World's Finest #64:  Win Mortimer is the quintessential 1950s Batman cover artist for me.  The characters are cheerful and, in his best scenes, placed within a setting of properly handled deep perspective like this image of Times Square in New York City.  There is always a Batman and a Superman story in these issues but there's quite a variety in between those two.  In this case, DC used a spy story most likely intended for their earlier cancelled "Danger Trail" title.

Census: 2 in 6.5.  This is an absurdly difficult comic to find in decent shape.  This raw 6.5 copy with ow pages is $800

WF64.jpg

WF64bk.jpg

WF64p1.jpg

WF64p2.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

32 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I can't help it.I have a copy of that Lars-not even close to above,but I need to say,the way that (my)book looks in hand and knowing Mr.adamstrange's love of deep colours-it is such a pretty,pretty comic.

And of course,the one Ekgren I have is for sale.Top ten! :cloud9:

Okay,drooling brown nosing over.Excuse me.

It’s a very good price on the Ekgren, too.

And Lars has been hitting the gym to work on those glutes!

Edited by DavidTheDavid

Dr. Fu Manchu (I.W. Reprint)  I.W. stands for Israel Waldman who evidently purchased a big chunk of plates previously used to print comics.  Since that was what they were made for, that's what he decided to do with them, though without the expressed written consent of the National Football League copyright owners.  In this case, they put a new cover on the Wally Wood Fu Manchu story, drawn originally for Avon comics.

Census:  three tied for highest at 8.0.  This is a raw nm- with off-white pages for $90.

FuManchu.jpg

FuManchubk.jpg

FuManchup1.jpg

Atom #15. Murphy's career at DC often included inking, which he did superbly partly because he was such a good penciler in his own right.  Here his inks grace Gil Kane's pencils on the tiny titan.

This is a raw nm copy with white pages for $180.

Atom15.jpg

Atom15bk.jpg