• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone said their Detective Comics 3 was one of the first 250 comics ever... How did they know this?
1 1

60 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, adamstrange said:
16 hours ago, Ryan Vandal said:

Any idea which issue?

It's possible this is the one.

CBM13 1000 Comic Books.jpg

Actually loved the early issues of the CBM magazines with their wealth of information and thought Gary and his wife did a super fantastic job on them.  :luhv:  :applause:

Too lazy to dig out my copy, but does anybody have the Top First 10 books handy, since I might actually have a few of them?  :bigsmile:  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Actually loved the early issues of the CBM magazines with their wealth of information and thought Gary and his wife did a super fantastic job on them.  :luhv:  :applause:

Too lazy to dig out my copy, but does anybody have the Top First 10 books handy, since I might actually have a few of them?  :bigsmile:  :wishluck:

It’s funny.  I bought these issues as they came out and now find myself reviewing them for the exceptional information and interesting sales and buying ads.  I had forgotten that there were people actively advertising to buy Warren original art.  Anyway, here’s the first 10

1. 1933 Funnies On Parade
  2. 1933 Famous Funnies Carnival
  3. 1933 Century of Comics
  4. 1934 Skippys Own Book (of) Comics
  5. May 1934 Famous Funnies Series 1
  6. July 1934 Famous Funnies #1
  7. September 1934 Famous Funnies #2
  8. October 1934 Famous Funnies #3
  9. November 1934 Famous Funnies #4
  10. December 1934 Famous Funnies #5

Here’s a shot of the rest of the first 40.

652B998E-59E3-4249-ADE0-E5CC34607486.jpeg

Hmm... well, assuming one starts with Funnies on Parade as the first comic book title, the list of titles would probably be something like this:

1933:

Eastern Color Printing - Funnies on Parade, Famous Funnies: A Carnival of Comics, Century of Comics

1934:

Eastern Color Printing - Skippy’s Own Book of Comics, Famous Funnies Series 1, Famous Funnies

1935:

DC Comics - New Fun, Big Book of Fun Comics, New Comics

1936:

Dell Comics - Popular Comics, The Funnies

David McKay Publications - King Comics

United Feature Syndicate - Tip Top Comics

Centaur Comics - The Comics Magazine, Funny Picture Stories, Detective Picture Stories

1937:

DC Comics - New Book of Comics, Detective Comics

Centaur Comics - Star Comics, Star Ranger, Western Picture Stories

Dell Comics - The Comics, 100 Pages of Comics, Western Action Thrillers

David McKay Publications - DickTracy the Detective, Popeye and the Jeep, Ace Comics

And then comes Detective Comics #3 (May, 1937).

Edited by Electricmastro

On 1/23/2020 at 10:01 PM, woowoo said:
On 1/23/2020 at 9:02 PM, circumstances said:

I think my oldest comic is Funny Picture Stories #1 from November of 1936.

I'd guess it's somewhere between #70 and #90.

So 80 (shrug)          :devil:   (thumbsu

Very close, but no cigar for the both of you here this time. :bigsmile:

Decided to take out my copy of CBM 13 and it looks like Funny Picture Stories came in at #92, just one spot behind Funny Pages #6 in Position #91.  :gossip:

On 1/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Anyway, here’s the first 10

Well, it looks like I have only 3 books from the bottom pictured portion of this list :frown:, but shouldn't really complain too much since it looks like I have 7 out of the first 10 on the list, including the first 2 books on the above chart.  :bigsmile:

Only problem is that I don't believe they've gone up in value very much over the years, if at all, but definitely nice to have from a historical collector's point of view. (thumbsu :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

39 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Decided to take out my copy of CBM 13 and it looks like Funny Picture Stories came in at #92, just one spot behind Funny Pages #6 in Position #91.  :gossip:

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::gossip: ^^

Edited by woowoo

35 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That was a close guess on my part!

Thanks for checking.

Welp, guess it's time for me to mosey over to instagram and let the world know I've got the 92nd comic ever published!

On 1/23/2020 at 4:17 PM, lou_fine said:
On 1/22/2020 at 11:58 PM, adamstrange said:
On 1/22/2020 at 11:48 PM, Ryan Vandal said:

Any idea which issue?

It's possible this is the one.

CBM13 1000 Comic Books.jpg

Too lazy to dig out my copy,

Now, that I finally got around to digging out my copy, I noticed that CBM #11 was another informative issue featuring "The 50 Rarest Golden Age Comic Books":luhv:

Looks like quite a few of these early CBM's attempted to give some idea on the scarcity of certain GA titles.  This particular issue of CBM was no exception as it also had written articles on "The Scarcity of Golden Age DC - Installment 1: Adventure Comics #40-#102" by Dr. Pat Kochanek and the super rare series "Wow, What A Magazine" by our own Jon Berk.  :applause:

Looks like the 50 Rarest GA Comics Books article was authored by Duncan McAlpine, a long time comic book dealer out of England.  Excluding the usual ash can and other non-distributed comic books, it looks like the rarest GA U.S.A. distributed comic book was the Feature Book - nn Popeye (1937); followed by Wow, What a Magazine #2 (1936); Feature Book - nn Tracy (1937), and then in fourth place was a 5-way tie between Famous Funnies Series 1 (1933), the first 2 issues of the pre-Centaur Comics Magazine books from 1936, and the 2 DC pre-hero rarities (i.e. New Comics 2 and New Fun 2 from 1936 and 1935 respectively).  :luhv:  :takeit:

So, I guess even though McAlpine lived and worked out of the England, he must have kept on top of the American comic book marketplace scene some almost 30 years ago because even the current CGC Population Census Report indicates that all 8 of these particular books noted here still have only low single digit counts in the census report after some 20 long years of grading and slabbing books.  :whatthe:   (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now, that I finally got around to digging out my copy, I noticed that CBM #11 was another informative issue featuring "The 50 Rarest Golden Age Comic Books":luhv:

Looks like quite a few of these early CBM's attempted to give some idea on the scarcity of certain GA titles.  This particular issue of CBM was no exception as it also had written articles on "The Scarcity of Golden Age DC - Installment 1: Adventure Comics #40-#102" by Dr. Pat Kochanek and the super rare series "Wow, What A Magazine" by our own Jon Berk.  :applause:

Looks like the 50 Rarest GA Comics Books article was authored by Duncan McAlpine, a long time comic book dealer out of England.  Excluding the usual ash can and other non-distributed comic books, it looks like the rarest GA U.S.A. distributed comic book was the Feature Book - nn Popeye (1937); followed by Wow, What a Magazine #2 (1936); Feature Book - nn Tracy (1937), and then in fourth place was a 5-way tie between Famous Funnies Series 1 (1933), the first 2 issues of the pre-Centaur Comics Magazine books from 1936, and the 2 DC pre-hero rarities (i.e. New Comics 2 and New Fun 2 from 1936 and 1935 respectively).  :luhv:  :takeit:

So, I guess even though McAlpine lived and worked out of the England, he must have kept on top of the American comic book marketplace scene some almost 30 years ago because even the current CGC Population Census Report indicates that all 8 of these particular books noted here still have only low single digit counts in the census report after some 20 long years of grading and slabbing books.  :whatthe:   (thumbsu

Could you post the list of the 50 by chance?  I went to find the magazine and the couple listed on ebay are $50+

5 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Could you post the list of the 50 by chance?  I went to find the magazine and the couple listed on ebay are $50+

Wow, didn't realize that back issues of the CBM magazines were going for that kind of money.  :whatthe:

I already threw it back into the far corner of the closet and will need to dig it back out again when I get a chance later.  :taptaptap:

Clearly, the majority of the rarest ones were books which I would not consider to be comic books in the sense that they were not distributed through the regular channels.  These would include all of the ashcans which were printed only for copyright purposes plus variant versions of what are now called promotional comics published by the Catechetical Guild like Blood Is the Harvest and If The Devil Would Talk.  :gossip:

Definitely books which I think should have been left off this Top 50 list since they did not received any true circulation through the regular distribution channels at the time.  (shrug)

If I remember correctly, based upon the actual comic books which i had listed in my post above, the range was from an estimated only 3 copies in existence for the Popeye Feature Book and then up to an estimated only 10 copies in existence for the group in the 5-way tie for 4th spot.  Based upon a look at the CGC Population Census Report, McAlpine might need to switch the 2 Feature Books around since the census for the Popeye indicates a total of 3 Universal copies plus a further 1 Restored copy, while the census coun for the Tracy Feature Book only indicates 1 Restored copy up to this current point in time.  Looks like the census counts for all of the other ones which I have listed are still running below McAlpine's estimates to this point in time.  hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/23/2020 at 7:22 PM, Randall Dowling said:

It’s funny.  I bought these issues as they came out and now find myself reviewing them for the exceptional information and interesting sales and buying ads.  I had forgotten that there were people actively advertising to buy Warren original art.  Anyway, here’s the first 10

I had some of those at one time but I think numbers #1 and #6 are the only two I’ve kept from that top 10 list. Funnies on Parade and Famous Funnies #1 (July ‘34) were always cover favs as well as historically important...

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

I had some of those at one time but I think numbers #1 and #6 are the only two I’ve kept from that top 10 list. Funnies on Parade and Famous Funnies #1 (July ‘34) were always cover favs as well as historically important...

It's funny, I've always wanted a copy of Funnies on Parade and I've always been surprised how little it goes for when for sale.  Still more than I can afford, but seems like it should be worth more as the first comic book.