• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointing Grade

36 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Tessio68 said:

According to the grader note  "stain right center of front cover"  

That will do it. It's something I had an argument here on the boards with someone saying that the severity of the defect plays a part. It does, but only in making the grade lower, not higher. A small defect (like in this case) is still a defect and CGC will deduct accordingly. It sucks but that's how CGC goes.

And I do see the stain. it's the darker patch next to Steve Austin's face at the right. It's a bit camouflaged by the inkwash effect on the yellow cover, but you don't see that type of shade anywhere else on the comic. Oh man, that means the case itself is worth more than the comic, that sucks hard.

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, Callaway29 said:

Books sent in this past summer seemed to be generously graded. Books submitted in the fall are coming back HARSHLY graded. Just in my experience... When did you submit?

I agree with this. Sent in a batch of 50 books with most hitting what I thought but there were a few moderns that received grades like a 6 and a 7.5. According to CGC there are stains on both. Grader notes say book length  :whatthe:

stain on the one that graded a 6. I find it hard to believe I missed a book length stain on a modern but.... I'll break it out of the case and see if I can find it once it arrives in a week or so. Can't win them all.

Edited by Badger

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I agree with this. Sent in a batch of 50 books with most hitting what I thought but there were a few moderns that received grades like a 6 and a 7.5. According to CGC there are stains on both. Grader notes say book length  :whatthe:

stain on the one that graded a 6. I find it hard to believe I missed a book length stain on a modern but.... I'll break it out of the case and see if I can find it once it arrives in a week or so. Can't win them all.

Ironically, I also had a very nice book get busted down to a 6 because of invisible stains...

3 hours ago, Tessio68 said:

Yeah, well I don't see the stain, I have 7 copies, all new old stock. this was the only one to score less than 9.2

It is mostly where the girder trails off the cover on the right edge - looks brown or dark red.  There appears to be a large indentation in the cover there as well.

35 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

It is mostly where the girder trails off the cover on the right edge - looks brown or dark red.  There appears to be a large indentation in the cover there as well.

This is what I noticed on the 7.5 and not the 9.2 also.

I mean, looking at the right by the beam on that cover, the background ink appears to look like a water stain but comparing to your 9.2 copy, that appears to just be the way the inks and colouring are. Could it be someone else was just clueless and thought it was a stain? Only way to tell would be to check the inside cover. I know I have missed really small faint stains before and yes, on otherwise flawless books, any small stain tends to get 1.5 grade bumps down or more.

Edited by comicginger1789