• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disappointing Grade

36 posts in this topic

I agree with comicginger on this one- I think the grader mistook the cloud and sky artwork in the background as a stain. I seem to resemble past examples of distress lines added to the artwork of a cover for an "aging effect" being mistaken for actual distress on the book and lowering the grade.

4 hours ago, lizards2 said:

It is mostly where the girder trails off the cover on the right edge - looks brown or dark red.  There appears to be a large indentation in the cover there as well.

+1

10 hours ago, Tessio68 said:

I hear ya. It's the chance you take when getting something graded. It's one opinion vs. another.

What are the opposing opinions in this case? Are you suggesting CGC is mistaken about the stain? Their legitimacy as a business (and your repeat business) depends on it being there.

Edited by William-James88

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I have seen otherwise beautiful books get knocked down to a 7.5 for a stain. It usually depends on size, severity and location...

Tone too. Even what at first appears to be mild margin tanning can throw off the grade on a book with very limited flaws dues to wear! The Mannarino collection contains numerous books that look otherwise unflawed except for edge tone, and these are mostly CGC graded 8.0 and 8.5, as should they be.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I think I see some spine roll.  Can't detect it from the front, but the back bottom pages look uneven to me.  Then, looking at the spine from the back, I see more front page color at the bottom than I do at the top.

Not sure what effect that should have on the overall grade, though.  Agree that this book presents very well from the front.

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

What are the opposing opinions in this case? Are you suggesting CGC is mistaken about the stain? Their legitimacy as a business (and your repeat business) depends on it being there.

Now that it's been pointed out, that stain is hard to miss.......big, brown, and gnarly.  Would be interesting to be able to look at the inside front cover, where it would presumably be more dramatic.