• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ace Reporter comic question

11 posts in this topic

So, there's a woman in my group looking to find any copy of this title for her father's 70th birthday (he is the boy in this photo) and she has no idea where to start. I figured if anyone knew about this book, it'd be someone in this group, otherwise it doesn't exist :). If anyone has any ideas as to what it is and how to find a copy, I'd appreciate a heads up so I can forward it to her. Thanks in advance for your time.

83056897_10162949362990716_8656458223756247040_n.jpg

Ace Reporter doesn't appear in any list of Australian-drawn comics, so I infer that it's a reprint of material from elsewhere - the US would be my guess. Ausreprints says it was published by Avon comics and ran for three issues in 1955. (Is that the right time for our 7yo in the photo?) They only have a scan of 2 and 3, so by elimination the one in the photo is likely #1. The other issues have the same comics code box visible in the photo, so I think we're narrowing in on it.

https://ausreprints.net/cover/series/5374/0/1/200/50

Edit: this series reprints the EC title Extra!

4 minutes ago, roscoPcoltrane said:

very cool AJD..thanks! Yes, the pic is from '56 she thinks...I'll pass your info along and I'm sure she'll be grateful :) Enjoy your night!

My morning actually. :) 

You should tell her that finding a copy won't be easy. There are no copies of the title on Australian eBay at the moment and the fact that there's no scan of #1 suggests that there aren't too many around. I collect Australian EC reprints and only just made the connection thanks to this thread, so I'll keep an eye out for them from now on.

well good morning then :) and glad you got something out of it because she's going to be thrilled to have a place to start (which would not have happened without your help). if, by chance, you happen to come across one this year, please let me know and I'll grab it if its for sale :) . I'm sure she wouldn't mind waiting until his next birthday if that's what it takes. Thanks again!

This has been a serendipitous thread. I pulled out my EC box and looked though the first couple issues of Extra! The cover image for the comic in the photo is from a panel in the story "Holiday for MacDuff" in Extra! #1.

1586794631_Extra1int2.jpg.8623689c3f0eb7bd2a803f7f1c222c35.jpg

I tracked down the other two cover images as well. I've been meaning to do an article in the GA Australian thread on EC reprints, so I'll show those there.

3 hours ago, AJD said:

This has been a serendipitous thread. I pulled out my EC box and looked though the first couple issues of Extra! The cover image for the comic in the photo is from a panel in the story "Holiday for MacDuff" in Extra! #1.

1586794631_Extra1int2.jpg.8623689c3f0eb7bd2a803f7f1c222c35.jpg

I tracked down the other two cover images as well. I've been meaning to do an article in the GA Australian thread on EC reprints, so I'll show those there.

Would love to see a piece on Australian ECs. I don’t own any nor have I ever seen any. ECs are my favorite comics.

Could the book in question be British?