• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any theories on why prices seem to be dropping with a lot of books?
5 5

194 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but I haven't seen too large a decrease when it comes to DC SA keys. Marvel books have shot up exponentially since the MCU was started, and I think the hype is simply ending, with Endgame essentially tying the knot. While yes Disney will never let the MCU die, I think the run is mainly over, and therefore books' hype is decreasing along with values. DC books never had that huge spike, and therefore aren't dropping like the Marvel books.

Hot things cool down. Cold things just stay cold. 'nuff said.

Edited by HuddyBee

Ive been saying for years that the market is due for a correction and I’m wrong every year. I just felt the growth across the board was unsustainable. Maybe 2020 is the correction. 

My guess is phase 5 of the movie hype will rekindle the market and everyone will max out more credit cards. 

23 minutes ago, Batmanis#1 said:

BB28 seems to be the book that went down the most. The movie hype is scary. This book is an iconic key and just because the movie was bad (yes I hated it to) it went down in value.

The only SA DC book in the top 50 that gets any respect is SC4. It is weird that for the last 10 years seems like everyone thought the other DC keys would spike but they truly have yet to do so.

SA Batman keys have run up nicely and held. That is about it.

How often do DC keys even sell? I mean the true big ones involving Superman, Batman, W. Woman maybe Green L.? I know JLA #1 but what other books/character 1st would qualify? Flash, Aquaman Joker? I'd imagine census on those low as hell even in low grade. Probably tougher to gauge trend on those

Edited by MGsimba77

Over the fity plus years I had my collection, they always shot up after a recession , always.  I watched my AF15 go from $80.00 to $55,000. If you're trying to flip books, it's an issue. If you're holding books that don't use borrowed money, you'll be fine.  If I'm looking short term, stocks are it. 

18 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

Over the fity plus years I had my collection, they always shot up after a recession , always.  I watched my AF15 go from $80.00 to $55,000. If you're trying to flip books, it's an issue. If you're holding books that don't use borrowed money, you'll be fine.  If I'm looking short term, stocks are it. 

What guides did you follow before certification and GPA? Overstreet,  Wizard?

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

How often do DC keys even sell? I mean the true big ones involving Superman, Batman, W. Woman maybe Green L.? I know JLA #1 but what other books/character 1st would qualify? Flash, Aquaman Joker? I'd imagine census on those low as hell even in low grade. Probably tougher to gauge trend on those

Every open hour of every day, just like for Marvel keys.

Edited by kimik

8 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I don't know if this has already been brought up, but I haven't seen too large a decrease when it comes to DC SA keys. Marvel books have shot up exponentially since the MCU was started, and I think the hype is simply ending, with Endgame essentially tying the knot. While yes Disney will never let the MCU die, I think the run is mainly over, and therefore books' hype is decreasing along with values. DC books never had that huge spike, and therefore aren't dropping like the Marvel books.

Hot things cool down. Cold things just stay cold. 'nuff said.

Hmmm which ones did you say were holding up. Flash 123, Adventure 247 and I think that may be it.

SC 4, 8, 13, 14 all softer (although I know there are some SC8 sales not recorded,) Action 252, 242, SC 22, B & B 28. Others are static not much up in recent years not much down

Let's not forgot that the population has increased over that last 30 years for example, i.e. this means more nerds collecting xD. Prices may hold good for awhile as long as the MCU still pumps out good movies.

US Population in 1990 was approximately 250 million

US Population in 2019 was approximately 330 million

On 1/27/2020 at 6:31 AM, tth2 said:
On 1/27/2020 at 6:20 AM, chromium said:

Curiouser and

Curiouser

FTFY

Ironically, that phrase comes from the same book that featured Tweedledee and Tweedledum.

Tweedledee and Tweedledum???  ???  ???

Are you referring to the two young teen girls that used to work in JFK's "private and personal" typing pool?  hm

If so, I don't believe that English grammer would have been their forte as I don't believe this attribute would have been a necessity in terms of their job qualifications to serve at the pleasure of the President.  :gossip:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Let's not forgot that the population has increased over that last 30 years for example, i.e. this means more nerds collecting xD. Prices may hold good for awhile as long as the MCU still pumps out good movies.

US Population in 1990 was approximately 250 million

US Population in 2019 was approximately 330 million

That doesn't necessarily translate into more comic collectors though

12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

What guides did you follow before certification and GPA? Overstreet,  Wizard?

I went to the pricing at Mycomics, Metropolitan Comics and High Grade Comics ultimately . I started with Overstreet which got me in the ballpark. The most difficult part was and is grading. None of my comics were slabbed. None were on boards with bags. At the time I acquired my comics, all from the news stand that wasn't really a prevalent mentality. I took them out on rare occasions and did take note of price changes, always considering selling them but I never did until 2017 when the price of a 5.0 AF 15 found in a box of comics in an abandoned school bus began to take hold. Initially, I thought I might be able to get a few thousand for it but Bob Storms of High Grade disabused me of that notion. I had the AF15 and about five others cleaned  pressed and slabbed.  It took me about ten months researching before the AF15 went to market. He came to my house for two days and we just sat grading. I learned a ton.  I don't think a 5.0 has sold for more than what Bob got for it. 

I only kept my Journey into mystery/ thor collections and a bunch of Dr Strange. They don't have much value compared to FF4 or ASM and I really like them up until that unfortunate wardrobe selection  in Dr Strange. I'll give them to my son eventually.  Dreckcheck is an interesting site for comparison pricing. 

Edited by Glassman10