• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any theories on why prices seem to be dropping with a lot of books?
5 5

194 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
12 hours ago, KCOComics said:
12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Click in the blue box and edit text.

Well look at that! Lol. 

Thank you!

And if you want to quote a chain of multiple posts like above click at the top of the first post and drag down to the bottom of the last post (2 in this case) and then click the 'quote selection' black box that pops up.

Except for the times it doesn't pop up, which happens fairly regularly for some folks.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:12 PM, HuddyBee said:

I'm quite certain one of the reasons I grew so fond of DC comics is because (other than their being better lol) of necessity. I could afford DC. So I bought DC and learned to love it. I was only surrounded by DC books. While I would love for DC books to get the love they deserve someday, right now I'm loving the cheap prices, and my being the only guy in the world who wants the books.

ive been a spiderman, X-men fan but also a batman, superman fan since I was little. I love all the Characters and super hero stuff. I trended towards Spiderman as he edged batman out ever so slightly, but collecting back again I wanted the big books and DC GA books have been pretty expensive to collect... but shh.. I think I might switch over to trying to snag a few DC deals if I can. But do tell me of some good DC deals to grab lol..

17 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

But do tell me of some good DC deals to grab lol..

ALWAYS.lol 

Adventure Comics 260. It's the first appearance of the SA Aquaman. There is some controversy surrounding this comic, as some (including cgc) don't recognize it as such, however plenty of sites do like comics.gocollect.com. It should be on par with Showcase 22, however because of some discrepancy it is not. I recently picked up a 2.0 for only $19. Tho it might run you more around 40-50 FMV.

Other awesome SA DC books on the cheap end. There are a ton more especially if you want to spend a little more $$$. These are just some I really like and was able to afford.

Adventure Comics 269 - 1st Aqualad

B&B 29-30 - 2nd and 3rd JLA

B&B 34 - 1st SA Hawkman

SC 34 - 1st SA Atom

SC 37 - 1st Metal Men

Supes 123 - 1st Supergirl prototype

Aquaman 1, 11, 29, 35 - more important with movie, but still relatively cheap

Hawkman 4 - 1st Zatanna

Strange Adventures 180 - 1st Animal Man

Strange Adventures 205 - 1st Deadman

JLA 75 - 1st SA Black Canary

B&B 54 - 1st Teen Titans

B&B 57 - 1st Metamorpho

SC 60 - 1st SA Spectre

House of Mystery 160 - 1st SA Plastic Man

SC 73 - 1st Crepper (Ditko)

Mr Miracle/New Gods/Forever People 1 - 1st of all respective Kirby characters

Jimmy 134 - 1st Darkseid (cameo)

Edited by HuddyBee

17 hours ago, Glassman10 said:

We were all so young. The bus fits. Santa Fe fit. Now, it's mostly money and what's going up fractionally.  I got so lucky to just be there. Your life is a story. Write it down. 

Some Great words there... each persons life is, truly a story.. Write it down.. Love it!!! <3(thumbsu

Also loved the bus story thanks for sharing was cool to hear some of the stories of how things came to be... love hearing about these things.

14 hours ago, KCOComics said:

This is probably a conversation for a different thread,  but I agree with.  In a way all the $$ associated with comics has been unfortunate. 

Allot of people look at this strictly as an investment and don't care about the art,  story or history of what they are holding.

I'm a bit younger than you, but I started collecting as a teenager before the days of Ebay making access so easy. While I'm sure the more serious collectors were concerned about grades and centering and white pages, I was just excited to get really cool comic books.  When I bought Xmen 1, I wasnt disappointed that it was a "low grade", I was thrilled that I found a copy of an iconic comic and could actually afford it. 

I was fortunate enough to pick up detective comics 26 on the boards. Married,  detached front cover,  no back cover.  It's never going to be worth a fortune in that state. It's no Detective 27, but I'm so excited to own such a cool piece of comic book history! I can't wait to read the stories and take pictures of the first advertisement for batman!  I'll probably get it slabbed soon after,  but I really can't wait to hold it! 

Getting back to the thread,  part of me would be thrilled if prices normalized a bit.  It would give me an opportunity to buy some books that have recently become dreams! 

I feel like this too I am still just thrilled to get a piece of Comic history and love when I can get a good story with it. 

Also I hope the prices keep dropping so I can pick up some more big keys which I have recently done.. 

At one point when I went out to the west coast, there was this guy advertising old comics and I went to see him. I had about $75 bucks at the time and he had a bunch of marvels but they had all been bound into single volumes. I do not recall how he closed those binders.  They were hardcover. They were all at least six inches thick! He wanted to sell all or nothing from them. Looking back, it would not surprise me if he punched them out with a three hole punch. I just don't remember. What I did get were some loose JIM's including '84. I could not afford to buy the JIM 83 he had. There was always this calvanistic streak in me that this was a criminal thing to spend money on and all my life I've had trouble buying myself things I want. That was the last time I ever bought a comic that was not off the news stand.Things I need are not a problem, like two tractors, but comics or brass train engines, no. I'm Ok with that missing book. The 84 tells the same story and it's as dumb an origin story as is out there. "I just happened to find this stick in a cave I happened to go into as a nice lame man... bang the stick. Odin thinks of everything" Jeez. 

I loved "Tales of Asgaard"

Edited by Glassman10

1 hour ago, HuddyBee said:

B&B 34 - 1st SA Hawkman

SC 34 - 1st SA Atom

Hawkman 4 - 1st Zatanna

Strange Adventures 180 - 1st Animal Man

SC 60 - 1st SA Spectre

These are my favorites of the ones you listed.  Hawkman 4 I feel like has taken a pretty decent dip lately in like <9.0 grade.  Definitely one I'm looking to pick up again finally.

Would also like to add:

SC 80 - 1st SA Phantom Stranger

BB 34 - same as you had, but 1st SA Hawkgirl too!

JLA 46 - 1st SA Sandman 

1st's of GL villains

Didn't know that was the 1st SA Plastic Man either.  I'll definitely have to keep an eye out.

Edited by NEED MO DAKKA

25 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:
3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Except for the times it doesn't pop up, which happens fairly regularly for some folks.

I never seem to have a problem on my laptop.  

I'm one of the folks that has trouble with it. :grin: I'm always on a desktop or laptop. Worked fine twice today; couldn't get it to function the other day in the "Buying at a Convention" thread.

Ages ago it was discussed in one of the "Problems with the New Boards" threads, I don't recall a workaround.

1 hour ago, Pontoon said:

I'm one of the folks that has trouble with it. :grin: I'm always on a desktop or laptop. Worked fine twice today; couldn't get it to function the other day in the "Buying at a Convention" thread.

Ages ago it was discussed in one of the "Problems with the New Boards" threads, I don't recall a workaround.

hm I missed that discussion.

5 hours ago, Pontoon said:

I highlight what I want to quote (mouse, left click, highlight) and then I right click anywhere on the page and the QUOTE box always shows up for me. It didn't used to.

It this what you're doing?

Edited by VintageComics

5 hours ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

These are my favorites of the ones you listed.  Hawkman 4 I feel like has taken a pretty decent dip lately in like <9.0 grade.  Definitely one I'm looking to pick up again finally.

Would also like to add:

SC 80 - 1st SA Phantom Stranger

BB 34 - same as you had, but 1st SA Hawkgirl too!

JLA 46 - 1st SA Sandman 

1st's of GL villains

Didn't know that was the 1st SA Plastic Man either.  I'll definitely have to keep an eye out.

My greatest adventure 80 should be on that list

On 1/30/2020 at 1:02 PM, KCOComics said:

I'll be keeping my eyes open for old buses and houses being cleaned out :)

Well, I remember going up to check out this house when I was in the Denver area about 10 years ago:

Image result for edgar church house for sale picture

Sadly, I got there about 35 years too late to help the owners clear out their basement for them, as I would have willingly done it for free.  :(  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

22 hours ago, thehumantorch said:
22 hours ago, KCOComics said:
22 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Click in the blue box and edit text.

Well look at that! Lol. 

Thank you!

And if you want to quote a chain of multiple posts like above click at the top of the first post and drag down to the bottom of the last post (2 in this case) and then click the 'quote selection' black box that pops up.

Any tips on how to easily copy quotes from multiple pages?  ???

It was relatively easy to do on the old boards here before their big changeover, but haven't been able to figure it out on the new boards here yet.  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Any tips on how to easily copy quotes from multiple pages?  ???

It was relatively easy to do on the old boards here before their big changeover, but haven't been able to figure it out on the new boards here yet.  :facepalm:

hm thought it would be easy to figure out but I'm having problems.  I can select it and quote and then right click to select all but when I paste it in it doesn't format the same.  I'd ask RMA as he seems to be an expert on multi quotes

On 1/29/2020 at 4:27 AM, Glassman10 said:

I don't think a 5.0 has sold for more than what Bob got for it. 

Although this is probably true for the time frame after Bob sold your copy for you, it definitely was not true for the months prior to Bob's sale of your CGC 5.0 graded copy of AF15.  :gossip:

After all, how can any of us forget about CC's record setting price of $57K for this CGC 5.0 graded copy of AF15 back in March of 2017:

ama12.630a.jpg

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/700363?tzf=1

I strongly believe this particular sale here along with the CGC 9.0 graded Hope copy for $395K along with CGC 4.5 graded copy for just a shade over $37K all in the exact same auction paved the way for the acceleration in the red hot AF 15 market for the rest of the year going forward.  hm  

Similar to how the sale of the CGC 3.0 graded copy of 'Tec 38 for just over $54K (or possibly double the then market rate on a PPP basis) in the same March 2017 CC auction apparently facilitated the almost instantaneous sale of Bob Storm's CGC 3.0 graded copy of the same book for $36K mere minutes after the CC auction had closed on the 'Tec 38.  Especially since another boardie informed me that the book had been on Bob's website for several months at a substantally higher price before it was lowered to the $36K price point where it had continued to sit until CC's auction result. (shrug)

It's definitely a small world when it comes to the comic book market and the speed of information is very fast in today's marketplace with the technology that we have on hand.  (thumbsu

On 1/30/2020 at 6:23 AM, Glassman10 said:

It was stupid of me to ever mention the sales price and I haven't done that in a long time. I would say that 10K alone went to capital gains, double that to the boy and the rest, I bought Mastercard at about $150 a share and these days it's around $320.  So we all did well. 

It's definitely a story with a happy ending when everybody concerned does well.  :applause:

Based upon previous readings of your story, I initially thought the whole thing had gone to your son as a down payment for his home.  It's good that you was also able to take personal advantage of the AF 15 windfall to make some additional money for yourself plus pay Uncle Sam at the same time.  (thumbsu

I assume your son's portion must have only been for a portion of the down payment or is some of your good fortune also ruubbing off on him and he was able to luck himself into a good deal for his home.  Not sure what part of the country you live in, but I was at this big Lunar New Year Festival event last week where they were trying to hawk some pre-build condos and you could spin the wheel to win prizes like a Bentley SUV, Porsche SUV, $280K gift card rebate, etc. if you signed on the dotted line.  :screwy:

I was thinking even though the place was jam packed and there were quite a few $280K "winners", that still wouldn't even cover the down payment for the condo.  It's still good to see the real estate market falling though, otherwise, they wouldn't have had such a big party with all the free food and door prizes for the attendees.  If this was 3 years ago, the entire complex would have been sold out without the developers giving you any discount at all, and with anxious buyers still left standing in line to get in the door at the end. :mad:  :censored: