• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any theories on why prices seem to be dropping with a lot of books?
5 5

194 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, Ryan. said:
On 2/2/2020 at 4:46 AM, Glassman10 said:

Buying a house has really changed and he's in a hot market outside Boston. The list price is not what it sells for. That's the base for a bidding war.  Step across the state line into New Hampshire and the prices fall dramatically. 

What town?

If you are thinking of selling a home in the Boston area (which goes for over asking price) to buy a home in New Hampshire (which goes for under asking price), is this then not akin to selling a Hulk 181 to buy copes of Spawn 1 and the likes?  hm  :p

That wasn't quite the point Lou. I see the houses being sold as being investment houses others own , or houses where the owner is moving away from the area.  While buying a house in Mass, is certainy  more expensive than one across the state line, the notion of tax avoidance in Mass doesn't happen if you work there. You'll still pay state taxes. NH has a bunch of issues that make home ownership less than attractive. That being said, I think the part that amuses me is people trying to avoid Massachusetts costs who do buy around Nashua are changing the demographics of elections in Southern NH. It does drive the politcal set nuts but it's indeed happening. 

But, if you buy comics in auctions, NH has no sales tax!

The economy is going to slow down and people are being more cautious. My prediction is that there won’t be a big upswing in comics this year like the last 6 years. Sure certain books will spike with movies but not all characters will catch on (there’s soooo many now) and the ones that do won’t see sustained gains. At some point the speculators that bought on credit will start offloading and undercutting and the prices will drop. All depends on how severe the recession is in regards to how quickly the market will bounce back. Marvel movies and their popularity won’t go anywhere and escapism is a hot commodity during a recession so I don’t see this recession as a “world killer” for comics (I think that’s from Armageddon lol).Anyway good time to buy bad time to sell. Or so says my crystal ball :)

Edited by Robo99

prices are always lower in winter than in springtime. other than that i havent noticed any significant drop in prices. i follow all the CL and heritage auctions and go to cons too. sometimes a brilliant person overpays for a book (like i did for a Surfer1) and it makes a gpa price that won't hold up. but that doesn't mean the market is dropping either, it just means that the true value is in the overall picture, not sale of any one or two books. 

7 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

What’s going down? Because I can hardly find anything for actual gpa or lower??

id like to know so I can buy.

anybody here selling under gpa for good keys? 

Hit ne up lol

Exactly what I was thinking. What recession? The economy is on fire, marvel movies and speculation is still fire and now DC is finally hitting their stride, and there does not (at least for now) seem to be any slowdown outside of the usual eb and flow slowdown of the December to tax return timeframe. Look for everything key to rise or stay about level this year in my opinion. 

Raw comics always offer an opportunity for people who can really grade. Otherwise, the notion doesn't really make sense economically  to sell continually for what you know is lower value. Unless comics are coming from a very long term collector, people don't sell unless they really need the money. 

11 hours ago, jason4 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. What recession? The economy is on fire, marvel movies and speculation is still fire and now DC is finally hitting their stride, and there does not (at least for now) seem to be any slowdown outside of the usual eb and flow slowdown of the December to tax return timeframe. Look for everything key to rise or stay about level this year in my opinion. 

Exactly. There’s so much money to be made in dollar box spec books...Classic keys are going for a pretty penny.

Even dreck is going for a premium like that Venom that’s now a cat lol

6 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

JIM 83 has been doing well in the last 2 years. May have slowed down like most keys in the winter. But still a lot of demand for Thor.

X-Men 1 seems to be the other book that did well in all grades over the last year or so.

Last CGC 9.2 sold for $128 000 witch is a new record for the grade. Just a few years ago 9.2's where going for a little less than half that sale price.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/830317?tzf=1

I don’t recall the 9.2 selling for that much.  That’s such a quantum leap that I’d wager it was an upgrade candidate, and even then, 9.4s don’t even sell for enough to guarantee it was worth the risk.  Another possibility is that somebody is banking on the XMen moving over to Marvel Studios movies with the Disney purchase of Fox.

Edited by Aman619

38 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

I don’t recall the 9.2 selling for that much.  That’s such a quantum leap that I’d wager it was an upgrade candidate, and even then, 9.4s don’t even sell for enough to guarantee it was worth the risk.  Another possibility is that somebody is banking on the XMen moving over to Marvel Studios movies with the Disney purchase of Fox.

Not somebody.

Just about everybody.

Its a matter of time only until MCU X men and it will be BIG!

On 1/24/2020 at 10:17 AM, Krismusic said:

I think the OP said SA key.. so unless we have a time machine to go back and make more SA books I dont think supply growing is a thing as there is a finite amount of SA books out there... 

From what I read on these boards, there are a lot more raw SA keys than there are slabbed SA keys. Take Amazing spider-man 13 for instance. Last year was the biggest year ever for that book, so the prices slabbed comics sold for on e-bay got others wanting to get theirs slabbed. So now the market got more slabbed Amazing Spider-man 13s than it ever did. I think that's what was meant by supply outgrowing demand. 

And the book I picked is just an example, don't know if the prices for slabbed copies of that book actually went down.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

There's a green lantern movie coming out? 

In the works

https://deadline.com/2017/01/green-lantern-corps-warner-bros-david-goyer-justin-rhodes-dc-1201884133/

Edited by William-James88

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

HOLY MOLY!  THAT IS AWESOME

https://deadline.com/2017/01/green-lantern-corps-warner-bros-david-goyer-justin-rhodes-dc-1201884133/

The article is from 2017.  I dont know how much "works" its in, Plus I am not sure they go with Hal again for the GL push.  SC22 is just bound to be undervalued forever haha. GL just cant stick